Author Topic: gimmicky-ass TDMs and HOLY stuff STOP IT  (Read 15474 times)

the thing about blockland is that our unique location between 'first person shooter' and 'sandbox building toy' would theoretically allow us to explore endless types of deathmatches without sacrificing the integrity of the 'main game', since our 'main game' doesn't exist as a shooter: primarily blockland is a building game, you see. this allows our content-creators to make any sort of 'deathmatch' without having to worry about it 'meshing' with what players already know, since every new package of add-ons (T+T, frogs weapons, etc) typically follows it's own path and requires it's own skillset, and players go about using these add-ons for the first time without any real predilections about how they'll work besides the way they 'want' them to work and the way they 'usually' work (guns shooting bullets, for instance)
What is funny is that you make weapon addons and you are criticizing the large amounts of dm servers with lame builds, but I will agree with you that if you are going to make a tdm or dm make the playing field look nice.

what does me making guns and deathmatches being stuffty have to do with eachother

most of these stuffty deathmatches don't even use my guns

Just saying, you make guns and you are complaining about servers that use guns with half-assed builds some of which use your addons, others don't.

I tried making a normal, plain DM once and failed miserably, but I can understand what you mean. Maybe one problem is that the userbase doesn't like (or simply can't) put massive or, or even decent, amounts of effort into making original, fun Deathmatches. It's also kind of hard!

Trying to do stuff like make a symmetrical mini-town can be more difficult than something like a simple, flat bunch of plates floating in the air thanks to all of the issues that could come with balancing and making things fun or workable, or even designing all of the buildings without making them all look like dupes. While the town could suffer from imbalance thanks to simply having a variety of buildings, a bunch of plates are ludicrously and shamefully easy to make and "balance".

I miss racing servers :c

Also dogfights, vehicular combat is pretty fun for me.

I agree that the massive amount of knife TDMs is annoying as forget, but I believe that if a gimmick is unique and actually fun, it's perfectly fine. Example: my rocket rooftops TDM I host time to time. It's pretty much the definition of a gimmick: rocket jumping and sniping are the two skills needed to do well. But it's fun and different.

But I completely agree with you that the 'real' TDMs need to step it up.

I agree that the massive amount of knife TDMs is annoying as forget, but I believe that if a gimmick is unique and actually fun, it's perfectly fine. Example: my rocket rooftops TDM I host time to time. It's pretty much the definition of a gimmick: rocket jumping and sniping are the two skills needed to do well. But it's fun and different.

But I completely agree with you that the 'real' TDMs need to step it up.
+∞

I miss racing servers :c

Also dogfights, vehicular combat is pretty fun for me.
I recently hosted a speedkart racing server.

OT: Agree with you bushi. I always make my maps as non-flat as possible, but here's my problem: I like to build maps with other people, but rarely people join my server, because they'd rather knife each other endlessly to death on flat platforms in the sky, than fight in an actual map with guns, classes and stuff...

We need more unique servers. I agree.

someone should make a server that combines all the mini-minigames and lets you pick which one you want to play. falling platforms, knife TDM, throwmod. have it cycle between other host's builds so it's always the top.

are you serious

what problem does that solve

it doesnt have to solve a problem lol.

in light of recent events (me posting this) i have now created a deathmatch

just

to

spite

gimmick

dms

because forget y'all i can make my own fun and i'll be damned if i take quality deathmatching losing out to lego final destination lying down

DEFAULT ADD-ONS

NO JET PLAYER ONLY

TDM

FINAL DESTINATION.

what about-

i just got the perf idea for a shotgun tdm
brb