Author Topic: RTB Dedicated Hosting Service - Service Closing  (Read 260119 times)

>Complains about how a feature could be improved
>Decides to remove the feature instead of improving it

There's no real way to do what you want. Trying to get the current usage of a cpu in mhz isn't something even the library I use for getting this data can do - it's not a useful metric and it's not something people generally ever want to know. I don't think you could even get that using the Windows task manager.

It's really not worth arguing about - do you even have a use case for this or would you just like to look at the numbers? There are better ways to benchmark add-on performance than trying to look at minuscule changes in CPU usage if that's what you're trying to do.

I'm going to re-quote this so it doesn't get buried as the other changes are worth discussing too.

As part of our commitment to constantly improving the service for our clients, we're releasing some cool new features today. They are as follows:

Dashboard Activity Stream
This feature allows you to see real-time and historical events that affect your server. Events in your stream can be filtered by three different categories; server events, admin actions and player notices. The stream doubles as both a reference for what's going on in your server but also an audit log to be able to see exactly who did what and when. All admin events contain information about the players involved such as IP and BL ID should you need to investigate any incidents on your server.

The activity stream is updated in real-time and backdated activities are available through infinite scroll which allows you to see exactly what's going on with your server precisely when it happens. The activity stream will also notify you of issues with your server such as any crashes, as well as inform you when there are problems getting your server to start up such as an invalid key or a broken add-on.

Custom Stream Events
In addition to all the pre-defined service events, add-on creators and server hosters can add their own events to the stream using a simple API provided by the hosting add-on your server runs.

Code: [Select]
RTB_Hosting.addCustomStreamEvent(message, event_type, event_level, extended_data);
message   A string to be used to describe the event. HTML tags may be used in this field.
event_type   This is used for filtering and may either be "game" or "admin".
event_level   This may either be "info", "warn" or "error" - errors will present themselves at the top of the dashboard too.
extended_data   The extended data is a series of key-value pairs to add additional information to an event. Extended data should be given in the following format:

Key 1:Value 1,Key 2:Value 2,Key 3:Value 3

Key Changing
Feeling generous? You can now allow someone else to change your server key to make it their own via an easy to use form. As with the key entry form on the deployment page, this does not log or store entered keys in any way.

Extra Dashboard Improvements
From your server dashboard you can now reboot your server and view real-time CPU usage. High CPU usage is a good indication of a poorly-written addon and this makes it easier to find them.

Other changes include interface bug fixes and improved server crash detection.

Please note, in order to activate these new features a server restart is required. Your server will have a status of "outdated" - this simply means you need a restart.

We have numerous new features in the development pipeline including colorset & environment management, mobile optimized management and improved web based server administration but we're always open to fresh suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:52:59 PM by Ephialtes »

Nice job with the activity stream. Looks great.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:19:08 PM by !Trinick »

Going to update my IPban script to add events to the activity stream.

Can the HTML display images?

Yep, you can put any HTML in there.

Will there be support to add your own tabs sometime?
EDIT:
I can't seem to get images to work. Can anyone post a sample?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:56:55 PM by Alphadin »

I doubt it. There's a "Game" tab for a reason. There's no room for 15 tabs for different add-ons in there.

If I were to make an add-on that posts to the Activity Stream, should I just check if the RTB_Hosting object exists or is there a specific method you'd recommend?

Will there be support to add your own tabs sometime?
I doubt we'll allow support for custom filtering categories but if you have any suggestions for stream events or category groupings let us know.

If I were to make an add-on that posts to the Activity Stream, should I just check if the RTB_Hosting object exists or is there a specific method you'd recommend?

Yeah checking for the existence of the object would be fine.

Why one can't buy 6 months at a time?

Why one can't buy 6 months at a time?

Basically the discount we'd have to give to people buying 6 months wouldn't really be enough to cover all our costs, but you get a pretty decent deal anyway by just buying 3 months and then buying another 3 when that expires.

Custom Stream Events
Code: [Select]
RTB_Hosting.addCustomStreamEvent(message, event_type, event_level, extended_data);
message   A string to be used to describe the event. HTML tags may be used in this field.
event_type   This is used for filtering and may either be "game" or "admin".
event_level   This may either be "info", "warn" or "error" - errors will present themselves at the top of the dashboard too.
extended_data   The extended data is a series of key-value pairs to add additional information to an event. Extended data should be given in the following format:

Key 1:Value 1,Key 2:Value 2,Key 3:Value 3
What to use the extended info for?

You can see a few examples in the screenshot above. We use it for showing the line number and relevant file when there are syntax errors, as well as more information about actions that admins take on the server.