[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1311320 times)

I'm a bit curious about my processor. It was an i5-2520M advertised as being 2.5GHz with a turbo freuqency up to 3.2GHz, but in Linux it's constantly going above 2.5GHz. Everything reports it as being 3.2GHz stock.

Even on battery it's reported as being 3.2, and I'm pretty certain it's decreasing battery life. Is there any tools/etc. to keep 3.2 on AC power, but reduce it back to stock 2.5 on battery?

If you can't turn turbo off in the bios then I dunno. Supposedly there's a java-based ThrottleStop-ish program that'll do the job. I wasn't able to get it to work for my core 2 duo.

Looking for a new mouse, mine just stuff the bed and while it was pretty good, I'm not quite sure if I should get it again or not.

So which mouse does everyone use? Here's my old one, lasted a decent 2 years of heavy use. Wasn't a huge fan of the LEDs, but whatever.

I use the Logitech G502. Very nice mouse; fits well in the hand, comfortable and grippy, enough buttons but not too many, buttons all feel great to press and the sensor is very accurate

Looking for a new mouse, mine just stuff the bed and while it was pretty good, I'm not quite sure if I should get it again or not.

So which mouse does everyone use? Here's my old one, lasted a decent 2 years of heavy use. Wasn't a huge fan of the LEDs, but whatever.
Logitech M560 bro.

What's the point of a gaming mouse? All it has is extra buttons and maybe some lights

What's the point of a gaming mouse? All it has is extra buttons and maybe some lights

Far better polling rate which means more accurate movements. It really makes a difference.

Far better polling rate which means more accurate movements. It really makes a difference.
Sure lol

Anyone have any experience with the Surface Pro 3?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:01:23 AM by Oasis »

Anyone have any experience with the Surface Pro 3?
None personally, but my boss has one and he thinks it's great. What are you gonna be using it for?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TM9Z3C

How much is a reasonable price to sell these parts to a friend used? I was thinking $180, but IDK.

> wake up, 8 AM
> walk over to desk
> mean to turn on new PC but instinctively turn on old PC
> spend 2 hours searching through all my old files and remembering the times I had with old PC

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TM9Z3C

How much is a reasonable price to sell these parts to a friend used? I was thinking $180, but IDK.
Probably; I took a lot at Craigslist once and saw a PC with an FX-6300 and a 270 for $250, so $180 should be OK.

My console friend wants to buy a new computer to join me and my other friends who play pc a lot. He has saved $700 right now for it. Could you guys whip up a build for him that would be the best for his buck? He doesn't need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse but will need to buy a copy of windows. He may also be able to save up some more money but I am not sure. 

None personally, but my boss has one and he thinks it's great. What are you gonna be using it for?
College classes and on-the-go entertainment. I assume it could probably run RimWorld and some less intensive games for when there's a lull in between classes.

I kept getting this bluescreen, something to do with CORE_CLOCK_TIME_EXCEEDED or something? Eventually it stopped after I found out the 1 key on my numpad was stuck

Realistically it's probably my OC losing stability but I haven't touched my UEFI/BIOS settings in years, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

College classes and on-the-go entertainment. I assume it could probably run RimWorld and some less intensive games for when there's a lull in between classes.
Only thing  to remember when using a Surface [Pro] 3 is the 3:2 aspect ratio, which might make watching videos kinda weird, but other than that, that's what the Surface is great for. I've heard that it simply doesn't compare to a regular laptop for note taking.

My console friend wants to buy a new computer to join me and my other friends who play pc a lot. He has saved $700 right now for it. Could you guys whip up a build for him that would be the best for his buck? He doesn't need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse but will need to buy a copy of windows. He may also be able to save up some more money but I am not sure. 
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Chipskate/saved/#view=GfQ9TW
I hope your friend is OK with mail-in rebates

Having a bit of fun with my temporary GPU while my GTX 970 is on the way.