[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1311095 times)

Just got my r5 1600 and pc is done lol

i know a guy near me that just recently spent over $4000 on a pc build. threadripper 1950x and gtx 1080 ti.
mother of god.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:39:18 AM by Insert Name Here² »

Hey uh, now is a slightly bad time to be buying a new computer since practically every single CPU currently out there is vulnerable to serious exploits, which companies like Microsoft are likely going to patch which will incur up to a 17-30% performance decrease on intel chips. If I was planning on getting a new PC i'd wait until new chips were out that didn't have these flaws.

Hey uh, now is a slightly bad time to be buying a new computer since practically every single CPU currently out there is vulnerable to serious exploits, which companies like Microsoft are likely going to patch which will incur up to a 17-30% performance decrease on intel chips. If I was planning on getting a new PC i'd wait until new chips were out that didn't have these flaws.
I already know. Downside, I don't want to wait another year to build a PC, and due to budget, all I have is intel.

I don't really care much at all though tbh

my 1070 ti comes tomorrow, right after my wisdom teeth removal
im gonna have to wait to friday to put it into my computer because i don't want my drugged self to be touching any expensive computer parts

just installed it into my computer regardless
i didn't get the gas and they gave me a prescription for hydrocodone

I killed a GTX 970 while working on a pc a couple days ago. Dropped a screwdriver on it by accident, didn't see the damage, threw it in and it blew up and caught fire.

You will be dearly missed, beloved 970.

edit: It took out a RAM stick with it too. Bummed me out pretty bad.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:18:07 PM by AtlasBlue »

I killed a GTX 970 while working on a pc a couple days ago. Dropped a screwdriver on it by accident, didn't see the damage, threw it in and it blew up and caught fire.

You will be dearly missed, beloved 970.
r i ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

I repurposed and old pc into and emulator machine but even nintendo ds games run slow as forget

What do with it now?
Id upgrade it if it didnt bave a stuffty ft3 socket rip

Also I dont need a media server since I stream everything to my chromecast. Guess I could repurpose the the hard drive but idk.

Maybe if I buy a new gpu I could drop my old one in and mine crypto 🤔🤔🤔

Build list revision part 5877

Got a job at McD's so I decided to change the build a little bit

Gonna be buying the 960 and i5 used from /r/hardwareswap, I have that specific cooler because I don't plan on overclocking and I don't have a cooler anyways, it looks good tho

Yes I need a new desk lol, current one is small as forget and is over 30 years old

stuff marked (purchased) are stuff I already have

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($40.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($9.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - H61MU-E35 (B3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial - M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($110.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $0.00)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($8.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - FD-FAN-SSR2-92 24.6 CFM  92mm Fan  ($11.56 @ Newegg)
Monitor: HP - 22cwa 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair - Harpoon RGB Wired Optical Mouse  ($26.99 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Etekcity - Scroll H5GX  Headset  (Purchased For $0.00)
Other: LEOBOG K22 Wired Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,Laser Engraved Keycaps,104 Key,Red Switches,PC,Computer, Notebook,Laptop,Chromebook,Macbook (black)  ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Merax Home Office Computer Desk Writing Table Workstation with Reversible Cabinet (Black)  ($132.61 @ Amazon)
Total: $554.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-21 01:44 EST-0500

Here's the closest picture I could find on PcPartPicker that will be how my PC will look. Differences being I have a brown PCB motherboard, will be using a different cooler, I'll have a smaller case, and the PSU I'm getting is top-mounted and has black cables, and I'll have a DVD drive

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:29:47 AM by Insert Name Here² »

I would really spend the extra few bucks for a 4Gb 960

yeah games are using more and more vram and you're gonna end up with a stuffbucket pc with a 2gb one sooner than you would with a 4gb

I would really spend the extra few bucks for a 4Gb 960
yeah games are using more and more vram and you're gonna end up with a stuffbucket pc with a 2gb one sooner than you would with a 4gb
The games I play don't warrant a 2gb variant of the card, especially when they go for 20-40+ more dollars for it.

Don't exaggerate how bad you're making the 2gb sound, it's perfectly fine as long as I don't play the most hard-core demanding AAA games on ultra lol

20-40 extra for some extra oemph is a steal