Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310464 times)

Depends on your definition of 'midranged'.

And what about them? That's just the price they are at. And 650W is the perfect wattage for this build so idk what you are talking about.
This build will not use 650 watts, guaranteed. It will use somewhere around 300, and you should get a 500W psu so that most time is spent in the maximum efficiency draw on the psu. You don't need gold standard either, too much money spent on something that will make absolutely no difference to the person using it. Here's a nice psu for ~$40 shipping/rebate included: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012
With that extra $50, you can get rid of those compromises like the 4570 and the blue HDD

"Trying to get the most performance possible and wouldn't mind spending a little more" usually means you should get an intel processor. If you still want amd because of your motherboard or whatever, I would recommend you spend the extra $20 on a nice aftermarket cpu cooler and overclock the 6300 yourself, much more worth it
I'm staying with amd not because of my mobo but I like them. I've got a nice cooler so I'll just OC. ty

I'm currently looking around for a new computer, and I might have a budget of as much as 1000-1500 dollars.  I know that a custom build is the far better way to go, but I have absolutely no experience when it comes to that.  Should I buy parts individually and have someone do it for me? Just go with a pre-built?  Or would I be able to do it myself without risk of breaking things? 

I'm looking for any kind of advice, so anything is appreciated.

Quoted because of page loss

Does anyone know any computer part site that accepts btc?
http://www.agnqtech.com/store/

Took some searching. Their selection is not all that great either.

I'm staying with amd not because of my mobo but I like them. I've got a nice cooler so I'll just OC. ty

That's an awful reason to stick with a processor.

I've been getting a couple of issues on my Desktop recently. This isn't my main computer although I do tend to use it often if I am to be carrying it around, since the case is pretty small and i could easily put it in a bag with me and dock it up downstairs or something.

Anyway, recently I've been getting issues where my PC seems to loose responsiveness of the human interface devices, this doesn't happen when it's barely running but I seem to notice it the most when I am playing on a game like Blockland. However, my PC does not slow down, loose framerates or anything upon that, it just seems to stop responding. It's quite weird to understand.

I was thinking this could be related to my HDD however, because the HDD is over 3 years old and I have run that storage unit so intensively in the last couple of years.  I thought it could be my HDD because of how it's the oldest part inside the case. Everything else is fairly new.

The specifications:
Motherboard: ASRock 990fx Extreme 3
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition X4 965 (3.4ghz)
Memory: Some 1333 4GB Kingston unit (this is just as old as the hard drive also)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
HDD: Seagate 400GB 5400rpm (God knows what specification is)

Could anyone help me? Is it a bottleneck with one of the items? Possibly the RAM that's slowing it down? I am due for an upgrade on this PC soon anyway so I'd like you guys to get back to me with the parts which could help me solve my problem.

I am also going to restore the OS soon because it's slow as forget.

Edit: I am just transfering some files over to my other hard drive and it seems like my keyboard and mouse keep loosing responsiveness, could this be to do with anything with the hard drive?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:21:07 AM by nerraD »

That's an awful reason to stick with a processor.
yeah I just realized lol
they're still good processors for the price though and by "a little more" I meant around 30$ more

I am just transfering some files over to my other hard drive and it seems like my keyboard and mouse keep loosing responsiveness, could this be to do with anything with the hard drive?

Yes it could. I know my HDD on my laptop is giving me trouble too. 5400 RPM, gonna switch to an SSD soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of Windows 8.1. It has lots of issues right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of Windows 8.1. It has lots of issues right now.
It happened before Windows 8.1. That isn't the issue.

I've just reverted and reinstalled Windows 8 at a clean state.

This build will not use 650 watts, guaranteed. It will use somewhere around 300, and you should get a 500W psu so that most time is spent in the maximum efficiency draw on the psu. You don't need gold standard either, too much money spent on something that will make absolutely no difference to the person using it. Here's a nice psu for ~$40 shipping/rebate included: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012
With that extra $50, you can get rid of those compromises like the 4570 and the blue HDD

Your right in the wattage, I didn't calculate it properly the first time. woops. Anyways, even if I change the Blue HDD for a Black 1TB I can't say the 4570 is a compromise. Sure you could bump it up to a 4670 which would be a better choice, but to add an 4670k would not make sense because there wouldn't be any room for an aftermarket cooler.

Edit: so how would that look? Remember he wants it Intel.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nordiq/saved/2Hf3

Also changed the case to better fit the red and black theme.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:03:11 PM by SPooK »

Your right in the wattage, I didn't calculate it properly the first time. woops. Anyways, even if I change the Blue HDD for a Black 1TB I can't say the 4570 is a compromise. Sure you could bump it up to a 4670 which would be a better choice, but to add an 4670k would not make sense because there wouldn't be any room for an aftermarket cooler.

Edit: so how would that look? Remember he wants it Intel.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nordiq/saved/2Hf3
Yea that looks fine
I was going to say something about getting the unlocked version anyway, but I had no idea that the markup for haswell processors was that loving substantial ($30)

I'm currently looking around for a new computer, and I might have a budget of as much as 1000-1500 dollars.  I know that a custom build is the far better way to go, but I have absolutely no experience when it comes to that.  Should I buy parts individually and have someone do it for me? Just go with a pre-built?  Or would I be able to do it myself without risk of breaking things? 

I'm looking for any kind of advice, so anything is appreciated.
A trained monkey could put together a computer, honestly. I suggest that you do the same. If for whatever reason you feel very strongly about not wanting to mess up your parts or whatever (it's not an uncommon sentiment for computer newbies), getting someone else to build it for you is still a very good option, much better than any prebuilt

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1VHLq
I have 100 bucks
what can I upgrade with that cash

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1VHLq
I have 100 bucks
what can I upgrade with that cash

GPU. Get a R9 270X or equivalent. Or if you are happy with your graphics performance get an SSD.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:36:37 PM by SPooK »

GPU. Get a R9 270X or equivalent. Or if you are happy with your graphics performance get an SSD.

100 bucks