Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310912 times)

Im looking to buy a computer in the superb range (http://www.logicalincrements.com/). What case should I get and why does the case I choose matter?
well, first of all, for around $800 i would recommend an entry-level i5 instead of the FX-6350/FX-8320 they recommended
there are plenty of cases to choose from. it really depends if you care about how your computer looks like, and if you care about noise levels. if you're into overclocking then airflow is pretty important too. i think something like a corsair 350d (non-windowed version)would be a good choice, it looks very nice and sleek. and its micro-atx size so its a bit smaller than an average mid-atx pc. it was around $80 last time i checked

I've noticed a lot of case recommendations are pretty useless. I know a couple years ago there were a lot stuff tier cases but now it seems pretty much any case from a company with a decent track record is fine. It's pretty much just go search for cases and just look in your price range and find one that you think looks cool and is from a decent company. Even Rosewill has gotten on top of their stuff which is pretty amazing. I think they're even moving into higher end cases.

-snip-
It says that those two cpus have different socket types than the motherboard. isnt that bad?

It says that those two cpus have different socket types than the motherboard. isnt that bad?

If the socket type doesn't match you're computer won't work. Unless it's something like AM3 to AM3+

a lot of those builds kind of suck to be honest
Yea.
But, that's typical of any site that's tried to do this in the past. You should never take someone's entire partslist suggestion unless you tell them what kind of computer you want. Most of the point of building your own computer is to choose exactly what you want, not just to save money. There's never just one answer for any specific price.

You have to find a new motherboard. In the uATX size too if you're going with the 350D (which I recommend). This is part of the thing, just read up a little bit on a beginner's guide to building your computer or something. Here's one that was posted on tomshardware a little while ago. I wouldn't worry about actually picking your case first, just decide on a size and figure out the case later

no, you should build one. the "no experience with building computers" excuse is kind of stupid since most of us have also been in this situation. then we decided to do a day or 2 of basic research. its not rocket science.
anyway, that prebuilt isn't too bad of a value (although the case looks like poop), but then again you can do much better with a custom built
a lot of those builds kind of suck to be honest
Welp, still not building one cause that's not what I asked at all. I was asking if that one was good so if it's not to bad I'll buy it :\

Welp, still not building one cause that's not what I asked at all. I was asking if that one was good so if it's not to bad I'll buy it :\
is it good? not really. pretty much most "gaming" prebuilts are either low-quality garbage with unbalanced specs or overpriced.

again, as most of us will recommend, building is the best way to go. unless you are either a quadriplegic or have a brain capacity of a toddler, there is nothing hard about building a pc.

is it good? not really. pretty much most "gaming" prebuilts are either low-quality garbage with unbalanced specs or overpriced.

again, as most of us will recommend, building is the best way to go. unless you are either a quadriplegic or have a brain capacity of a toddler, there is nothing hard about building a pc.
I know there's nothing hard about building one, it's that my parents will most likely not allow me to build one since I'm only 15 and my mom often says "That's doing way to much, just buy a pre-built one". So I can't do anything about that. And in the OP it said that IBuyPower offers good price ratios so I'm going off that.

This is computer megathread and all so this might be slightly off topic.

I was going to get the HTC One M8, but I am looking toward the LG G3 now, what do you guys think? Right now i'm really leaning toward the LG.
just bumping this up to the next page.

I know there's nothing hard about building one, it's that my parents will most likely not allow me to build one since I'm only 15 and my mom often says "That's doing way to much, just buy a pre-built one". So I can't do anything about that. And in the OP it said that IBuyPower offers good price ratios so I'm going off that.
if you're going for a prebuilt, look at some of these i picked off of newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229498
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227503 (has an ssd and better case but worse processor and motherboard)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229476 (aside from the stuffty case this is probably the best all round)
all just under $1500 so it's under your budget a bit
if you're looking for something cheaper (you said under $1700) then i can reccomend others
just bumping this up to the next page.
the one is much more polished than the g3, unless you really want the qhd screen i would go for the one

Gonna go with the iBUYPOWER one since it fits my needs the best, I don't really need 2TB Hard Drive. Thanks.

the one is much more polished than the g3, unless you really want the qhd screen i would go for the one
Well that's not really true, i'm in-between right now because as of right now, the G3 has a faster processor, better camera, clearer display, and more RAM. The HTC One M8 has aesthetics going for it with it's fantastic design. The HTC also has a 5 MP front camera (I video chat often), and speakers.

I honestly don't think you read up on them too much because the Quad HD is not the only feature the LG has going for it.

With android will my phone also still be supported in two years? I heard android was fragmented really bad.

Also is there a android counterpart to the "Find My iPhone"?

I honestly don't think you read up on them too much because the Quad HD is not the only feature the LG has going for it.
yeah i just went off of what i already knew
i also forgot about the one's stuffty rear camera and didn't know the g3 had 3gb of ram, but the processor is the same except clocked 200 mhz higher
but i will say that even though the screen is sharper doesn't mean it's better. the colors on slcd3 are significantly better than ips lcd

the display on the g3 is half an inch bigger than the one, but it's only a bit wider than the one.  keep in mind that most videos and apps are not going to use the screen's full resolution.

The m8 vs g3 is what I would consider the equivalent of an apple prebuilt vs dell prebuilt computer.
The m8 prides itself on being 'premium' and is relatively well made (except for the terrible camera, imo enough reason to not buy it)
The g3 isn't made of aluminum, and that doesn't matter worth jack stuff because it's still well made.

I would say go for the g3 if you appreciate value, go for htc if you like feeling superior to everyone else without having to go through the trouble to actually be so.

plastic cases are better than metal, contrary to popular belief.
more durable, generally more flexible, dont scratch as easily