Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1304219 times)

Honestly the only good thing about Linux is performance. It is hard to do so though because barely any I my games are compatible with Linux, unless that Wine thing works with them.
yeah just run individual programs through wine or run an entire steam installation through wine and install the games there like i do

I'm using Unbuntu with Linux Mint.
So far it is literally terrible, the fact that you can't properly run .exe files automatically makes me want to pawn my stuff for a Windows install disk
I didn't have a great experience with Mint. Download regular Ubuntu.

Also, exe's don't work because Linux is mutually exclusive from Windows and programs for it have to compiled differently. You can run windows exe files using Wine, though. Once you have Ubuntu, download PlayOnLinux for your most things.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:36:30 PM by Pecon »

im on arch linux; it was /kind of/ a pain to set up but their wiki had a pretty rad tutorial and i kind of cheated by just installing a desktop environment
I'd say if you really want to learn the nitty-gritty of Linux, use Arch for a while, take advantage of the ArchWiki in the process. I learned a lot of stuff by doing that even though I use Debian almost entirely now.
oh hey i didn't see this post; why did you end up switching to debian?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:00:55 PM by log »

oh hey i didn't see this post; why did you end up switching to debian?

Stability. I need something I can completely rely on not breaking during updates or having to spend time fixing, mostly because I use my computers for business use as well now.
Most people I've told that get all buttmad because they keep saying that I'm saying that Arch is the most unstable distro ever

I have no idea if this is the right place to ask this, but what are the contents of a can of compressed air? What makes it so cold?

I have no idea if this is the right place to ask this, but what are the contents of a can of compressed air? What makes it so cold?
The contents of the can aren't what makes it cold. It's a gas law that occurs when a gas expands extremely quickly.

Would 500watts be enough for a 750ti?

The contents of the can aren't what makes it cold. It's a gas law that occurs when a gas expands extremely quickly.
This
In more detail though, the contents of a can of air are actually chemicals that are easier to compress into a can than air, and the pressure is such that the chemicals inside are liquified. When a can of air is used, the pressure drops and is no longer able to compress the liquids inside of the can, so the chemicals become gasses again and flow out of the can. the reaction is endothermic, so heat is absorbed making the can cold

Lmao Wine just constantly says "The program.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close."

Lmao Wine just constantly says "The program.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close."
instead of constantly complaining about how a non-windows OS can't run windows programs, why don't you just buy windows?

instead of constantly complaining about how a non-windows OS can't run windows programs, why don't you just buy windows?
Yeah I'm highly considering this, however my buddy may or may not have a Windows 7 disk. If not, I'm going to sell some stuff.

Expect errors like these to appear at times when using WINE
While WINE can run most window's .EXE files fine or with a few minor issues, some programs just arent compatible with how WINE works

Expect errors like these to appear at times when using WINE
While WINE can run most window's .EXE files fine or with a few minor issues, some programs just arent compatible with how WINE works
I traded a few things for my buddy's Win 8.1 disk, and now its on my HDD. I really don't have the patience to learn about a new OS but the 2 day Linux experience was fun while it lasted.