Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1309384 times)

Would there be any problems booting a recovered computer with a HDD from an old iMac? Sata cables etc. match, asking about software issues rather.

Would there be any problems booting a recovered computer with a HDD from an old iMac? Sata cables etc. match, asking about software issues rather.

Unless it still has Mac OS X installed on it, it should be identical to modern day hardware in terms of storage devices, depending on age of the machine.  Apple doesn't necessarily get that proprietary.  But, unless it will be on that identical iMac, it will not boot, Apple does this by building into the EFI the machines board ID which is typically a generic number across all models of that specific iMac than maybe a Mac Pro that will have a different board ID.  Essentially, no you will not boot it's OS or what not unless it's completely reformatted or put with an identical iMac model.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:50:21 PM by suburb »

looking to upgrade my computer, suggest me graphics cards/core processors between $50-$400

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BWLnf7

please check
I would say go for 16gb of ram, and go for ddr3 if it's cheaper. there's really no clear advantage in ddr4 other than the fact that it's newer.
besides that, it's a good build

I would say go for 16gb of ram, and go for ddr3 if it's cheaper. there's really no clear advantage in ddr4 other than the fact that it's newer.
besides that, it's a good build
If I need more than 8gb in the future i'll buy another 8gb, but rn you don't need more than 8gb of WAM for gaming.

The motherboard+skylake is good for DDR4 so I might as well.

yea but what we're saying is theres no reason to do ddr4 unless u just have to say that u have the newest hardware
its not going to give u a clear performance difference

yea but what we're saying is theres no reason to do ddr4 unless u just have to say that u have the newest hardware
its not going to give u a clear performance difference
i mean like i can only get ddr4

If you go for Skylake there's no reason not to go with DDR4. IF you want DDR3 go back to Haswell.
DDR4 is just now on it's way in and every desktop architecture from now on will use it. If you buy DDR4 now you can use the same sticks for the next 7 years.

what are you guys using for desks i need some recommendations

i use a really old bunk bed that had a desk under it

i took out the whole bed part and now its just a big desk which is nice

imagine like this but without the entire bed structure and the desk wraps around the entire thing

what are you guys using for desks i need some recommendations
a desk

anyone know of a good mini itx mobo that has 4 ram slots