Author Topic: Blockland mod market system?  (Read 13817 times)

Uh how is that making badspot lose money?

Uh how is that making badspot lose money?
Someone could easily just make their mod an amount higher than that of the game, or simply just by making the game $2 or 5 or 10, judging if its a popular addon and people are desperate to get it by the end of the week the person would have more than just $20, and if I remember I think Badspot doesn't just get $20, he needs to pay a fee to Garage games I think.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with you, this isn't going anywhere and will never be made.
Take it up with someone else, I'm surprised no one has Drama'd you for keeping a stream of arguments in here.

Someone could easily just make their mod an amount higher than that of the game, or simply just by making the game $2 or 5 or 10, judging if its a popular addon and people are desperate to get it by the end of the week the person would have more than just $20, and if I remember I think Badspot doesn't just get $20, he needs to pay a fee to Garage games I think.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with you, this isn't going anywhere and will never be made.
Take it up with someone else, I'm surprised no one has Drama'd you for keeping a stream of arguments in here.

So your surprised no one has drama'd me over my idea of Badspot making money, Us making money, and the Community receiving great Addons? Ok.

To be honest I think 1. yall don't understand what a proffesional developer can do, and / or 2. I think yall are scared that you wont be able to purchase nice, amazing addons that we will never have unless there is a great incentive for them to be created.

Its ether the first one, or the 2nd. Just to clarify, the 2nd one is a mentality of "If I can't have it, no one can!". Which is silly.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:47:06 AM by Gartanium »

You really need to stop arguing this one lol - I would never pay any amount of money for a Blockland add-on, ever. There's a really good reason why games don't try to monetise their modding community.

that being said if you wanna throw money at people go ahead

like, donations are one thing, but trying to get everyone else to donate with you is another

are you serious lol

let's all take a second to reflect on the following post, by the same guy who made this thread:

What Blockland needs most of all is some story behind it =].

genius. truly a prodigy of our generation.

Yes you can remake software, just like some one could remake Microsoft windows. There isn't any serious remakes of it, now is there?
You keep comparing Blockland add-ons to a major operating system.

You're the worst type of person OP. The type that is ruining the gaming industry by making every downloadable thing cost money.

This is a terribly idea

Do you know how many servers you'd have to pay to play?

Money as a motivation promotes bad practice? lol? I guess motivating people to work for a job is bad?
People get jobs for the sole purpose of getting money. Nobody (or at least very few people) wake up in the morning and say "Oh boy, I get to go to work today! How fun!"
They might be very passionate about their work, but if told "Hey we can't pay you anymore but you can still work here if you want" how many people do you think would stay?
Add-on makers are quite the opposite; we do it for fun, with no expectation of a return. Some add-on makers even spend money on it (such as RTB server hosting)

But since for the most part people have to work for a living, there is a real limit to how much time and effort they can put into it. Most skilled, professional developers who love making mods don't have all that much time to put into making mods. But if someone can charge a bit for making high quality mods he can put a lot more time and effort into doing so. This doesn't mean that he is just doing it for the money. Someone doing this just for the money probably wouldn't make quality mods anyway. He would still be doing something he loves to do, but would be able to put a lot more time into it, because now he is making part of his living by doing so.
People with the skills to develop things for money are already doing so, or are currently on the way (school, etc) to doing so.
Hell I've seen sites out there where you can upload models and people can pay to download them. There's probably something similar for code.

Please, before you continue trying to argue in support of this, tell us how it would even work
If someone buys an add-on, how do you prevent them from sending it to all their friends?
When you join a server, you download all image, model, and sound files for the add-ons the server is running. What if some of these files are from add-ons that cost money? How does the server handle it? Send it to them anyways? Kick them off and make them buy the add-on?
How would this affect licensing? Would it bring up any legal issues?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:02:50 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

just grabbed a sweet deal on funky shirt

only 15$

If the game maker chose to allow mod makers to sell their products, people would still be able to do it for free if they chose. Most people who make mods as a hobby sill would.

But since for the most part people have to work for a living, there is a real limit to how much time and effort they can put into it. Most skilled, professional developers who love making mods don't have all that much time to put into making mods. But if someone can charge a bit for making high quality mods he can put a lot more time and effort into doing so. This doesn't mean that he is just doing it for the money. Someone doing this just for the money probably wouldn't make quality mods anyway. He would still be doing something he loves to do, but would be able to put a lot more time into it, because now he is making part of his living by doing so.

The game maker benefits also, because his game becomes more popular because of the high quality mods.

This post was written by an experienced software developer and investor. Please take the time to read it.

Remember I was suggesting this under the pretense that there would be a system inplace to stop addons from being distributed freely (Like the Key system for Blockland). The fine details would be worked out by Badspot obviously, but it can be done.

Other games have found success in allowing users to sell their mods as I have said before [Mount and Blade Warband, Napoleonic wars]. Starcraft 2, Created by blizzard, has also toyed with the idea of allowing users to sell their custom maps.

Its been shown in other communities that some players are willing to pay for addons. Again, not all things would cost money, just the high quality stuff that wouldn't be developed under our current conditions. The last time I shelled out money for Blockland was like in 2007 or 2008 (I forget). I would be more then willing to shell out a few bucks here and there to get major improvements to the game that could only come from our modding community.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:35:45 PM by Gartanium »

so uh
you're comparing huge game overhauls made by a team of experienced devs with blockland addons which are made by dudes who just learned how to script?

This post was written by an experienced software developer and investor. Please take the time to read it.

Remember I was suggesting this under the pretense that there would be a system inplace to stop addons from being distributed freely (Like the Key system for Blockland). The fine details would be worked out by Badspot obviously, but it can be done.

Other games have found success in allowing users to sell their mods as I have said before [Mount and Blade Warband, Napoleonic wars]. Starcraft 2, Created by blizzard, has also toyed with the idea of allowing users to sell their custom maps.

Its been shown in other communities that some players are willing to pay for addons. Again, not all things would cost money, just the high quality stuff that wouldn't be developed under our current conditions. The last time I shelled out money for Blockland was like in 2007 or 2008 (I forget). I would be more then willing to shell out a few bucks here and there to get major improvements to the game that could only come from our modding community.

I regularly do microtransactions on STO, and I think this is a terrible idea.  Blockland, as an average, has a much younger audience than most of the games you're talking about.  There's a difference between me, with a job, shelling out a couple bucks every so often for a goody and Mom and Dad's credit card going on a shopping spree for every weapon on Blockland.

There's huge, industry-wide disagreement about how deep developers should go in monetizing parts of the game.  You want to see an example of it backfiring, platform-wide?  See the Facebook settlement.  Nobody knows how much money they had to throw in to pay $5 to everyone that claims their kid bought stuff in FB apps, and some people are going to show their receipts and get a lot more back than that.  You're talking millions of dollars in liability.  For a game developed primarily by two people.

ETA: the mods people would probably pay the most money for are client-sided.  If we were going to lock out peer-to-peer mod transfers, those same mods that would make money would become unusable.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:04:42 PM by Sevara »