Soft shadows

Author Topic: Soft shadows  (Read 86732 times)

Shouldn't soft shadows technically be easier on the computer than sharper shadows?

No, I imagine it's a similar principle to any sort of blurring effect in a game, it takes that much more rendering power to apply the effect.

you could have some sort of external launcher that after blockland finished launching it wrote some sort of text file to the config directory as a message which the original file took as a cue to replace the shader files, then deleted that "message" file
^^^^^^^^
do this

This is what they cut; The soft shadows.

That's what the first screenshots looked like, we just need shaders that mix onto each other and that would be what we really saw.

Just need a NASA super computer.

Wow! More shaders I can't use!

Or just a graphics card that's come out in the last 3 years.

Or just a graphics card that's come out in the last 3 years.
I wonder if my GeForce GT 610 would work. It easily runs max shaders

This is what they cut; The soft shadows.

That's what the first screenshots looked like, we just need shaders that mix onto each other and that would be what we really saw.

NASA computers do calculations, and they have no vídeo card.

NASA computers do calculations, and they have no vídeo card.
:(

The soft shadows are too soft, This is like everything is a mile away or it's a really diffused light source.

Actual diffusion is not only a massive pain to make, it also would be pretty much reserved for people SLI'ing five GTX Titans at the scale Blockland would require. It's either sharp or soft all the way.

Awesome job, Port.  I'm guessing you used a Gaussian blur with a set pixel radius?

The soft shadows are too soft, This is like everything is a mile away or it's a really diffused light source.

It's configurable.

Awesome job, Port.  I'm guessing you used a Gaussian blur with a set pixel radius?

Simple averaging of shadow map tests within a configurable cubic XxYxZ region.

I use a AMD Radeon HD 7870 (GHz Edition) on Max shaders and depending on brick counts and soft shader settings it brings me down from 60-200 FPS to 15-50 FPS.

What?  I have the same graphics card and I can barely run shaders.  Running low on Collab City gives me about 20 fps.

Edit:  Well I can run max with no bricks easy, but with bricks the game is completely unplayable.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:33:39 AM by Incinerate »