People trying to increase the minimum wage

Author Topic: People trying to increase the minimum wage  (Read 5517 times)

fast food workers deserve 7 bucks an hour.

because fast food workers are doing 7 dollars worth of skill.
fast food workers have about 7 dollars worth of brain power.
fast food workers are about 7 dollars important.

Planr is dead on. One effect he forgot though is that it doesn't suffer from diminishing returns, it gets worse.

Take three companies, for example:
  • Company A produces a consumer product. Say, plastic containers. Their most basic, lowest paid workers put these containers in boxes to be shipped. Company A buys plastic from company B.
  • Company B creates plastic from oils purchased from company C. Company B's most basic, lowest paid workers operate the machinery, the entire process is automated from there.
  • Company C drills oil from the earth. Their lowest paid employees drill for oil.

Say all 3 lowest paid employee groups make minimum wage. Company C sells 1 drum of oil for $50. Company B processes that into some amount of plastic, which they sell for $120. Company A melts that drum down into containers, which produces $250 of product.

Now, minimum wage doubles. Company C can no longer pay their oil drillers. They up the price of their product to $100 a barrel. Company B can't afford to produce plastic, so their price doubles to $240. But wait, oil price went up too. So now, to make the same amount of profit, the price must increase to $290, to compensate for the extra $50 charged for oil. Company A certainly can't sell $290 worth of plastic for $250 in product, especially not when they're paying their workers double. Double the wage of the workers to get $500 for the containers, then tack on the extra $170 it costs for plastic now. That's $670 for what was previously $250 in product. The product has become almost 3x more expensive now, with no extra profit margin! Now that worker who's income you doubled is making twice as much money, but the stuff they have to buy costs 3x as much. You've made life even harder for them, by 33%.

its very ironic the economy depends on people buying stuff, with the money they made making that said stuff.
meaning something breaks that cycle, like demand is simply down, it all breaks. so really we shouldnt be making or buying anything thats not essential for living :p

if every nation was forced to export 100% of what they made, and import 100% of what they needed, as they needed it.
the entire world would be near perfect lol.

but thats kinda impossible to enforce XD

I've always thought it would drive up food prices at restuarants too. If restuarants which pay most of their workers min. wage (i really don't know what restuarant waiters/garbage boys/dishwashers typically get paid) have to now pay alot more to them for their work, they are faced with running out of business. I believe they might probably do a combination of both jacking up food prices and laying off employees in order to stay in business. Which means my dad can't afford to take the family out to dinner as often :(

higher wages drives up the price of goods and services. its just the illusion of having more money.

Actually, restaurants have the benefit of being able to pay their workers something like $1.25 an hour. Declared tips are considered income for the wait staff, so the restaurant only has to pay them a formal wage to say they're their employer.

That's interesting. Never knew that.

Well that makes alot more sense now when my dad always tells me to tip high if the waiter is good.

They should get rid of minimum wage.  

That way, anyone can undercut anyone and get a job.  Child labor laws are stupid too.  
Yes YEs YES

but how would more stuff help fix the econemy/minimal wage problem? That's taking jobs away from an ever increasing population, were jobs are already scarce.
at this point, there is no solution to it. If america were to migrate the jobs back, then it would benefit well. There would be more jobs, but for companys, paying friend indians to do their tech support is cheaper, plus it makes it 24/7

friend indians to do their tech support is cheaper, plus it makes it 24/7
HEY

That's offensive to tech support.

at this point, there is no solution to it. If america were to migrate the jobs back, then it would benefit well. There would be more jobs, but for companys, paying friend indians to do their tech support is cheaper, plus it makes it 24/7
This is true. Also, with the US government over $16,000,000,000,000 in debt (Wth?!), and that number ever increasing, the econemy probably won't be getting too much better. I could be wrong though.

minimum wage workers are like unsung heroes

somebody has to make my double cheese burgers for dirt cheap

and they do a damn fine job, too

well if nobody did those jobs the cost of food and the wages would increase until it became enough that people would do the jobs

Some of you actually believe $7.25 per hour is too much?  I really don't understand that.  I don't think people understand that raising it to $8.25 per hour would put an extra $100 per month on the table for someone making merely $1100-$1200 per month.  The increase would not be large enough for prices to increase or jobs to be lost.  And you can't ignore the gap of wealth in this country at all.  It's pretty simple.  $15 is a bit dramatic but raising it to $8.25 as proposed wouldn't kill anyone.  Not to mention it works in MANY other states that already have minimum wage past $8.25 per hour and have stable markets.

Some of you actually believe $7.25 per hour is too much?  I really don't understand that.  I don't think people understand that raising it to $8.25 per hour would put an extra $100 per month on the table for someone making merely $1100-$1200 per month.  The increase would not be large enough for prices to increase or jobs to be lost.

it would mean that 1 out of 8 workers would have to be fired to sustain the profit margins