Author Topic: 2013/10/03 - Steam Status (Updated: 2013/12/17)  (Read 205256 times)

http://youtu.be/iLWnyJuKOto

tbh this should be the trailer
a ten minute video that starts with drug use
WE HAVE A WINNER

for the trailer we just need to resurrect Eksi and get him to shoot a couple of shader clips to replace the terrain clips and put them in the trailer he already made

for the trailer we just need to resurrect Eksi and get him to shoot a couple of shader clips to replace the terrain clips and put them in the trailer he already made
Look up a few posts, mate

Look up a few posts, mate
wow the avatar made me read his name as Electrik every time

linner linner chicken dinner mother cluckers

thats the data we needed.

/pats self on back

about a minute before people tune out.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:21:45 PM by Pandan »

don't forget super fast action shots and lots of dubstep!!

don't forget super fast action shots and lots of dubstep!!
WUBWUBWUBWUWBUBWUWBDFUIWGFSOCUISVHFVUNHOHV
*video speed up*

This isn't the best example. That trailer actually ends at ~1:43 with the rest being credits that were put in for some reason. That cutoff also doesn't give any indication whether that's because the viewer has been satisfied and doesn't need to see any more or if it's because they've lost interest in a negative light. I guess you could compare sales data at that time to see if it was effective.

The video was posted in Q4 of 2010, which is in the neighbourhood of that big spike in the middle (I don't think it's responsible in any part anyway). Since stats have been disabled, I can't see how many views were made when, so knowing it has over a quarter of a million views in three years doesn't help this kind of brown townysis. This doesn't take into consideration other factors that lead to people hearing about the game and/or buying it like word of mouth or banner ads (are those still used?) or other youtube videos. The point is that you can't base a big part of a project off one piece of information from one incident that might have also become irrelevant to today's version of Blockland or the nuances (like attention span) of today's target audience.

If you want to find the best length of a trailer for a game about personally building anything you can think of with so many bricks that a limit to them becomes meaningless, do your research. Look at trailers for popular games, look at trailers for unpopular games, for big budget games, for small budget games, for shooting games, for racing games, for building games, etc and it's not just about length. Look at content and presentation style too. It's not about copying, it's about making something that's effective.

And this is all whether Badspot decides to use a fan made trailer anyway.

The fact that audience retention noticeably drops at 30 seconds and at 60 seconds suggests that a trailer would be fully viewed by a higher percentage of its viewers if it was closer to that length. That's all I'm saying.

Look at content and presentation style too. It's not about copying, it's about making something that's effective.
What corner of your ass did you pull this piece of advice from?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:00:16 PM by Eksi »

It should be around 60 seconds long. Maybe a bit less.

I'm pretty sure badspot will just end up making his own with Rotondo

Is "don't copy and show good clips" bad advice or is it too obvious? I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt.

The fact that audience retention noticeably drops at 30 seconds and at 60 seconds suggests that a trailer would be fully viewed by a higher percentage of its viewers if it was closer to that length. That's all I'm saying.

why get offended at his advice? also lol @ credits in a trailer

also lol @ credits in a trailer
I never knew what I was doing back then

Is "don't copy and show good clips" bad advice or is it too obvious? I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt.
It's painfully obvious and you're condescending for having given it

I can't stop thinking about it.
Trailers are not about copying things, they're about being effective
Advice is about telling people something helpful, not something completely intuitive
Cars are not for eating dinner, they're for moving from one place to another

Are you a half-assed brown townyst like me, where you sometimes just say bullstuff that sounds vaguely like it might be helpful or insightful so you can feel like you contributed in some way, when it would have been equally effective to shout SKY'S BLUE, DUMBASS?

Final word,

if the trailer will:

be more tightly edited,
get its point across effectively in a shorter time,
keep more of its audience seeing a greater amount of what there is to show,
be easier for someone with goals beyond "please existing players" to create,

it's gonna be shorter.

Trust me, it won't just be a duplicate of the old one with shadows added and 43 seconds chopped off the end.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:12:45 PM by Eksi »