Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442983 times)

hm

so that pixel-y topdown ARPG thing i've been working on in GM 8.1 is almost ready to have actual features worked on

and by that i mean i'm actually at the point where all i have to do for character customization is add sprites for different clothing items. i'll upload a gif or something of what i've got so far some time tonight

hey lookie

the shirt and the pants are two separate sprites, but when they're drawn they're positioned so that they provide the illusion of being one entity. there's nothing there when you move left or right because I haven't drawn the left and right movement sprites yet.

at this point, the whole thing is pretty much just going to be making all the different pieces of clothing you can have

and yes, some of them will have stat modifiers

but first i have to make stats lol
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:54:05 AM by Frequency »

he's posessed

the ghost of incomplete programming

I just wish I could settle on what the game should be about. I'm on the fence between having it involve powers that you develop as you use them or a game where you're basically a normal human that gets more experienced in normal human activities

or maybe both
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:26:39 PM by Frequency »

The Ghost of Version Alpha

The Ghost of Stable Release

The Ghost of Bugfixes Yet To Come

MCJOBLESS BIG STATUS UPDATE!

First things first; both of these two games are going to exhibition on Thursday Night to Saturday Night.

Since there's so much to say, let's break down to the two games I've got going:

GUNMAN-VR

GUNMAN-VR is a cooperative-developed game with my Swedish friend (he did the art, while I handled programming). It's based off the old Wild Gunman game for the NES, but this one incorporates a few new features including Oculus VR/Google Cardboard intergration, random bluff chance, random hold times and 4 channels as opposed to the original solo gunman you'd go up against.

The idea behind the art (which is still a little placeholder, including the lack of UI elements, the emptiness of the scene and the height of the camera) is that you're seeing the whole NES scene being constructed from pieces of plywood, as if it was a Hollywood production. The Outlaw is supposed to roll up and fall down like shooting targets at carnival games.

Current Screenshots (not reflective of the final exhibition title):

We had a trial exhibition last week, and so here's a couple images of the stall we developed:

Yes, that's a LEGO gun. It's going to be present at our final stall, along with this beast.

Unlike at the trial stall, we'll be using the Oculus Rift DK1 (we had originally be developing for and planning to use the Oculus, but another person in our class developed a game for Oculus and our game was much easier to port to the Cardboard). I've brought a dev-kit home with me while testing the game:

This was a little surprise; neither of us developing the game expected it to turn out as fun as the players we've had have been raving about. With enough work, this could actually get a major content overload and become a retail Oculus game...

LOD^0

LOD^0 is my major project, developed by myself over 30-ish weeks. The project was scrapped over 5 times, and there have been even multiple story-rewrites for the final design. The game is a Sierra-style Text Adventure with LucasArts commands and a simple art style made in Unity. It's not designed for public release.

Here's some screenies (non-final):

The game includes two side-scroller minigames, as well as a Lights-Out style puzzle which still uses the text adventure commands from the rest of the game.

The pitch/presentation went off almost without a hitch (I ran out of time and there were some minor organisation things that could have been changed). Art needs to be touched up this week. I have narration audio for the game which hasn't been implemented, and the tutorial needs to be fixed (again) for players who've never touched a Text Adventure game (almost everyone going to the exhibition).

I've got no images for the stall yet, but I can confirm I've got some dead computer parts and circuit board patterns I'll be using.

that is a LOT of promo gear for such a tiny little thing

where's this exhibition?

that is a LOT of promo gear for such a tiny little thing

where's this exhibition?
Ambush Gallery, Central (Sydney CBD).

This was the exact same space used by Ubisoft for the Assassin's Creed World Tour. These two games are the ONLY games being expo'd; we've also got animations, websites, fashion designs, photography and art in the same space.

you'd think those ten saloons bordering one road would have some kind of competition?

If you're going for a NES look, I'd recommend the artist to a more limited palette with consistently bright colors.  It's clear you're not going for a straight up "NES limitations" look, but a major misstep I frequently see in "NES-inspired" visuals is the use of all sorts of grayish and subtly-varied colors no 8-bit system could have even dreamed of using.

As it is, it looks more like SNES sprites superimposed on flat-colored scenery.

you'd think those ten saloons bordering one road would have some kind of competition?
I raised this point up in the first week, and it wasn't addressed when we added 3 additional streets. It's going to be fixed with some new buildings for the final thing.

If you're going for a NES look, I'd recommend the artist to a more limited palette with consistently bright colors.  It's clear you're not going for a straight up "NES limitations" look, but a major misstep I frequently see in "NES-inspired" visuals is the use of all sorts of grayish and subtly-varied colors no 8-bit system could have even dreamed of using.

As it is, it looks more like SNES sprites superimposed on flat-colored scenery.
Thanks. We won't be able to address it this late in the game for exhibition, but it'll be something to change if we agree to do a retail release. Right now we're showing off to artists and people who like lots of bright colours, hence the wide palette.

this just in on stickman adventures: unfinished doodles are wandering the city

the resemblance is uncanny

Was messing around with my old visual basic files and found this. I wonder if I could actually make something cool with this other than having it as a really basic line drawing demo.

Any ideas?