Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442937 times)

hm

so that pixel-y topdown ARPG thing i've been working on in GM 8.1 is almost ready to have actual features worked on

and by that i mean i'm actually at the point where all i have to do for character customization is add sprites for different clothing items. i'll upload a gif or something of what i've got so far some time tonight

hey lookie

the shirt and the pants are two separate sprites, but when they're drawn they're positioned so that they provide the illusion of being one entity. there's nothing there when you move left or right because I haven't drawn the left and right movement sprites yet.

at this point, the whole thing is pretty much just going to be making all the different pieces of clothing you can have

and yes, some of them will have stat modifiers

but first i have to make stats lol
Pardon my ignorance, but why do people still use GM 8.1 when GM: Studio exists?

it uses RAM instead of actually saving to a disk cache, making it load faster because it doesn't have to compile

8.1 is good for rapid prototyping and then studio is good for actual release candidates and fine-tuning an already-working game

they probably already bought 8.1 and don't want to buy another version when they have everything they need

idk if there's some sort of upgrade option but that would be a reasonable guess. i had a gm 7 key ages ago that i lost and didn't want to buy a key when gm 8 came out

it uses RAM instead of actually saving to a disk cache, making it load faster because it doesn't have to compile

8.1 is good for rapid prototyping and then studio is good for actual release candidates and fine-tuning an already-working game
or that

nice looking saw particle effects

would appreciate some feedback on those effects because after working on those for hours my mind is numb on how good they look

does anyone know of any replacements for the wheelcollider class in unity? they're absolutely loving terrible to work with and are a pain in the ass to tune right because you change one value a tiny bit and all of a sudden you get a plane instead of a ground based vehicle

the people who make unity don't seem to care about them because they've apparently been inaccurate and broken for years now

those particles look great

also is that just the sawblade model from battlemix

nice looking saw particle effects

would appreciate some feedback on those effects because after working on those for hours my mind is numb on how good they look

does anyone know of any replacements for the wheelcollider class in unity? they're absolutely loving terrible to work with and are a pain in the ass to tune right because you change one value a tiny bit and all of a sudden you get a plane instead of a ground based vehicle

the people who make unity don't seem to care about them because they've apparently been inaccurate and broken for years now
you do realize there's a default vehicle prefab
and the sawblade particle effects can be found if you download the free particles prefab for the unity web store

also is that just the sawblade model from battlemix
i made this saw model from scratch but due to me wanting a low-poly style i guess the battlemix saw inspired me even though i didn't use it as a reference

you do realize there's a default vehicle prefab
i'll try looking at that when i get home but if its using the default wheelcollider class then it is already flawed as wheelcolliders absolutely hate low-mass objects so much that they actually launch them into unity's farlands. wheelcolliders also incorrectly apply force/slip to the wheels too which isn't good at all

and the sawblade particle effects can be found if you download the free particles prefab for the unity web store
the particle effects are custom, my friend charles made them by just combining a bunch of different paint.net effects

Have you heard of Ludum Dare?

It's a game jam where you have 48 hours to make a game from scratch.

I've had fun with it, just interested to know if you have too, I guess.

if not heres a link http://ludumdare.com/compo/

here's a link my ld34 game http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-34/?action=preview&uid=52667

Shameless self promotion
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:47:44 PM by blobo »

i know that there's been a group here that's done it a few times. p sure trinick and some other dudes are in it

i know that there's been a group here that's done it a few times. p sure trinick and some other dudes are in it

I also remember there being some drama around one forumer who was claiming someone else's work

I also remember there being some drama around one forumer who was claiming someone else's work
yeah, skull candy
he's perma'd now (thank forget)

Arcade physics = cardboard box land

Ninja physics = sloped surfaces but everything is made out of glitchy ice

P2 physics = overkill and slopes are still slippery

forget it all

blockland physics =

Somewhere,
                                                                             over the rainbow.

This gaaaaaaaame,
                                                                                                                                                will have good physiiiiiiics.

blockland physics =

Somewhere,
                                                                             over the rainbow.

This gaaaaaaaame,
                                                                                                                                                will have good physiiiiiiics.

Thanks I was looking for a new sig

Does anyone know of a good resource for making a metroidvania? I really loved the metroid prime series and wanted to take a shot a developing a simple prototype for my own game.