Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 442276 times)

I forgot to mention something;

There's a golden ratio that's critical to make note of:

EFFORT : VALUE

The idea here (and there's probably a better formula to express this) is that there's a direct relation between the intrinsic value of what you want to complete, and the amount of effort required to complete it. As a project progresses, these may increase or decrease; if the value is ever reduced below the effort, the probability of you failing increases.

So, to link it back into what I said earlier; a project's value comes from the strength of the motivation you have for continuing it. The better those reasons for completion are personally, the more chance you have of being able to stick the entire project through from start to end.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:41:57 PM by McJob »

cool thoughts my dude, pretty helpful

Get Clickteam Fusion 2.5 then
someone JUST missed the humble bundle where you could get the "developer" edition for $15 lol

someone JUST missed the humble bundle where you could get the "developer" edition for $15 lol

I hope they do another one next year

Alright, here comes another loving novel. Just need to rid this stuff outta my head.

For those who don't know; I'm working as a Unity Developer for a studio in Sydney (I got converted from an Intern to Contractor after only a few weeks). The job is about programming the front-end/client-side for a mobile platform. That is, an application which tracks friends, purchases and launches games within the platform. It's something mental to get your head around, which is why I won't bother going through it any futher.

About a week or two before I started, I began design on a LEGO VR game. That got shelved pretty hard when I was actually working as a developer; 9-5 Mon-Fri means I value my only free time (the weekends) a lot more for doing the things I used to do on the weekdays (such as play games or meet people).

Naturally, I've been itching to get back to work on my games, and while I have been fortunate to do some Unreal 4 night-classes (including one specifically in Good VR Design), I'm not entirely sure I've got it all together to start focusing on such a massive investment like a fully-fledged, experimental VR title.

So, what I'm proposing is a smaller project; a LEGO Point & Clock Adventure Game. The goals are simple:

• Nail down the process of importing/using LEGO 3D Models into the Unreal Engine and animating them.
  • Understand the time-management issues involved with solo development in Unreal 4's workflow.
  • Produce something.

The issue with the VR title is that I have to balance learning how to make VR titles, make good VR titles and learn intensive performance optimisation for VR ALL without a personal VR kit (my brother, my old college and my workplace all have various VR kits, but I don't have on-demand access to those).

Point-and-Click games, theoretically, are easy. The mechanics are simplified, so gameplay design takes the brunt of the job. My very first (and very stuff) game was a point-and-click, and more recently my first hand-in for CS50 was a framework for point-and-click games in Scratch, and my Major Project was an abysmal excuse for a Hover-and-Type Adventure Game (roughly the same thing). I've also worked in Unreal 4 before (producing crap), so I'm familiar with the workflow.

Since it's 11:34PM, I'm gonna stop writing now, but I do want to jump into writing about good Point-and-Click Adventure design. There's an art to it which I've been practising, and I feel ashamed I didn't give myself the necessary amount of time to exercise it in my major project (for 90% of that project, the game was a simple mobile word puzzle game, and was changed at the very last minute with an extremely rushed story and a lot of placeholder art become "legit").

NO I JUST REALIZED THAT TREE IS ON THE ROAD

So in Rpg maker, I created superboss called "clown" and it's a rare encounter, but it's signature move is "clown curse" and it basically seal everything, but items and adds a new slot in your command menu called "clown skills" and it makes you use skills in that slot. Those skills are like luck-based skills and can you forgeted up and make you possibly win the battle.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:55:54 PM by cooolguy32 »

a LEGO Point & Clock Adventure Game.
Dude point & clock games are my favorite! :^)

OT: All that sounds pretty neat to be able to do though. Hope you can figure out good ways to make VR work.

game level editor is now finished.

made a pretty little level, took two screenshots in the process (click to unblur)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:40:45 PM by chrisbot6 »

dam this engine is looking pretty sweet

dam this engine is looking pretty sweet
Still no lighting system apart from the fog stuff. All shadows are drawn in. That said, I'm happy with how the game looks.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:46:57 PM by chrisbot6 »

whoops i made something