Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 439772 times)

Does anyone have any good tutorials on how to script?

Lynda.com has some fantastic scripting tutorials to get you started. See if you can get it for free from your library. Thats how I got mine. Apart from that I would say look at other peoples scripts and dissect them and also look at documentation. It all depends on what you want to do.

you can't just......................
"scripting" isn't one big thing
there's a bunch of languages, and if nobody knows what language you're talking about, nobody will know what you want. there is no such thing as a scripting tutorial. there are javascript tutorials, python tutorials, lua tutorials, etc.
but more importantly you are not going to learn anything real from reading some one-off tutorial. you will have to spend several days at the least working on it, and probably several weeks to get anywhere meaningful

Learn C++

(Note: takes literal years)

I'd love to learn Torque Script. I also do have a C++ book for dummies but have never actually gotten into it.

I'd recommend getting started with JavaScript. It's easy to learn, and cross-platform (runs on literally anything with a web browser). Here's a breakout tutorial. You can also look into a few engines/frameworks if you like.

Some turn base game that I've started to work on. I can switch between the spectator actor and the unit actors and then they can attack each other with some dice rolling. All with unreal 4 blueprints except for the code for the dice rolling, which a friend of mine made.

is http://codewars.com a good place to sharpen my programming skills?

Totally. It's a pretty fun website overall. If you're looking for more gamedev-related skills, though, I'd recommend actually making games. :P

I want to put this in my Game.h file but I'm worried the special characters will mess stuff up. I.e. when GCC tries to compile (it's picky) on linux (it's pickier)

just try it? if it causes problems, it will be trivial to remove

i'm making a game for a school project
to impress my classmates
and make my teachers explode with amazement

even though it's a bit poopy right now
but it's functional atleast

i'm making a game for a school project
to impress my classmates
and make my teachers explode with amazement

even though it's a bit poopy right now
but it's functional atleast
can we see it?

i have been using flash actionscript 3.0 and a problem i have been facing is that a file will work perfectly when the movie is tested, but it does not on the browser and it sucks

note: somehow its more like the script is just ~not applying~ to the flash

note: it turns out somehow the NAME of the document made it not work
that is some hardcore annoyance note don't use _ in the name of flash
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:31:36 PM by The Resonte! »