Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 439696 times)

Do you guys think the artstyle got a bit better this time?

Also, im doing the game in a new engine beacuse the other one was pretty buggy

It's certainly an improvement.  The tanks might be a little too bold and detailed if they're non-solid objects, but overall it's definitely more clear and appealing.

Don't even worry about the art. That's an easy way to forget your game.

Focus on really nailing the mechanics and the content path. Get your levels planned out and implemented, and polish up as necessary. Start by using grey shapes; textures can always be replaced, but the core can't without redoing the entire project from scratch.

Yeah, work on game mechanics first and then move onto visuals. Graphics are more of a distraction.

Graphics are more of a distraction.
Not necessarily.

Every element of the game, be it mechanics, aesthetics, technology or narrative, is crucial to the success of the final game. In the perfect world, they would all exist equally and in harmony, and many professional studios with lots of people, experience and resources do make them work well.

When you're just a one man army, you have to play the game of development smart, and focus on things that will make the biggest impact in your development cycle first. Of course, it's important to acknowledge what kind of art you'd like and how you could integrate that into the mechanics, but at the same time, if you're planning on keeping them as separated elements, than you need to prioritise what's going to hold your player in the world the longest.

"The name of the game is the game."

Not necessarily.

Every element of the game, be it mechanics, aesthetics, technology or narrative, is crucial to the success of the final game. In the perfect world, they would all exist equally and in harmony, and many professional studios with lots of people, experience and resources do make them work well.

When you're just a one man army, you have to play the game of development smart, and focus on things that will make the biggest impact in your development cycle first. Of course, it's important to acknowledge what kind of art you'd like and how you could integrate that into the mechanics, but at the same time, if you're planning on keeping them as separated elements, than you need to prioritise what's going to hold your player in the world the longest.
Yeah, but what I meant was that if you're developing something that isn't meant to be played by players yet, then not too much effort should be put into graphics yet. I definitely do agree that graphics keep players playing the game, but when it's just you as the developer playing the game to test it, then it is not necessary to have things looking fancy before you have the full mechanics of the game done. I view the graphics of a game as the polishing.

speaking of doom wads, i made one last month.
http://leopard.hosting/download.php?f=bdobn
this is my first one and i'm kind of proud of it
also there's a secret

I don't want to spam the pixel art thread anymore and since we're talking about doom related stuff rn might as well post this stuff here.
I finally got textures to work when converting models into voxels!

why zangoose? idk lol.

Now I have to go through the process of modeling and exporting individual frames as models o(╥﹏╥)o

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:06:13 PM by Waru »

EDIT:

I think the letters are much better in the first one, but other than that I prefer the second. although both of them have one flaw in my eyes, and it's the missing row of pixels in the health bar

I think the letters are much better in the first one, but other than that I prefer the second. although both of them have one flaw in my eyes, and it's the missing row of pixels in the health bar

notedddd

updated

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:50:40 PM by Waru »