Game Design Megathread

Author Topic: Game Design Megathread  (Read 433031 times)

Oh I also got another suggestion for vehicles

Remember the rampaging vehicles addon where in BL of you drive a vehicle into bricks, it causes them to fakekill? Imo if you add something like this into your game by default (a better optimized version, where the car has to be going pretty fast for it to work and it'd deal damage to the car itself, and the bricks would respawn back after like 30 seconds) That would be awesome

I've been messing around in Unity and made an almost familiar land

Thanks guys; I'll be working on brick errors and the placement grid / system today, as well as add functionality for modifying planted bricks (such as destroying or repainting them).
I definitely want to improve on the event system or add in-game scripting somehow. I was talking with someone a few days ago about possibly implementing a visual editor (like a node-based editor). There could even be logic-based bricks for minor projects, and full-fledged scripting for major projects (you'll still be able to apply events to any brick as well). Maybe you could even apply events to things like vehicles and items, and have access to the in-game scene as well (like triggering weather effects for a certain areas of the server). I'm not sure how to implement Ruby / Lua / Python, but I'm sure it's possible.

I could add other animated objects, sure - like animated bricks or the ability to move bricks via scripts. It's already possible to add things like elevators or vehicles you can walk on.
Even though right now this project is very similar to Blockland, I do hope to make it unique as well and give it its own theme / style. Also, as long as it's not a carbon copy of this game or doesn't use his assets, I don't think he would mind.

GSF, you're a bloody legend. Can't wait to see the final project - if you decide to get it on Steam Early Access (if that's the route you want to go), I'd gladly buy it in a heartbeat.

Oh I also got another suggestion for vehicles

Remember the rampaging vehicles addon where in BL of you drive a vehicle into bricks, it causes them to fakekill? Imo if you add something like this into your game by default (a better optimized version, where the car has to be going pretty fast for it to work and it'd deal damage to the car itself, and the bricks would respawn back after like 30 seconds) That would be awesome
A default option for rampaging vehicles would be very cool.

All it needs is a snow texture and it would be quite reminiscent of the Slopes lol; did you import the heightmap?

GSF, you're a bloody legend. Can't wait to see the final project - if you decide to get it on Steam Early Access (if that's the route you want to go), I'd gladly buy it in a heartbeat.
That's an option I'll definitely look into. Still working on some technical features right now, but hopefully will show off more progress soon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:12:44 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

:(

A default option for rampaging vehicles would be very cool.
Yea

You could put it in the graphical settings of the game, turning it off will just make the bricks disappear / look like they were hit with the hammer when a car hits them. Turning it on will make the bricks tumble and fake-kill when a car hits it.

What do you think about adding some kind of default gravity system so we can do some good space stuff, Ghost?

What do you think about adding some kind of default gravity system so we can do some good space stuff, Ghost?
This sounds like a good idea, but it would probably be kinda difficult to get enclosed areas of regular gravity, so good space stuff would probably be out of the question unless you're going for realistic.

Yea

You could put it in the graphical settings of the game, turning it off will just make the bricks disappear / look like they were hit with the hammer when a car hits them. Turning it on will make the bricks tumble and fake-kill when a car hits it.
I would like to also make brick physics client-sided like Blockland handles them.

This sounds like a good idea, but it would probably be kinda difficult to get enclosed areas of regular gravity, so good space stuff would probably be out of the question unless you're going for realistic.
Well right now gravity is relative to players, so it wouldn't be difficult to allow server creators / scripts to modify gravity per player or globally. You could even set up zones with different gravity values. That may change later on however, but I'll still try to incorporate it.

Depending on how bricks are set up, you can now recolor them based on groups / elements, such as the frame and glass panes for windows (btw, I'll fix the window offset in the image):

Since this project is gaining momentum, I posted a new topic for it in the games section: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=311591.0

Yep I exported the heightmap, if there was a method to port the old .dif interiors I would totally port (remake) some maps for fun.

Hey Ghost, will you implement a way to build off of a 'universal' brick grid, perhaps implement child/parent grid system where you can build at a 45° degree angle, or even 21.56° if desired. I was thinking last night while I was on a server, and it would be interesting if I could create let's say a static train that has a wagon attached in the back, but it's tilted slightly on the vertical z-axis, giving it a natural lego equivalent of contrapposto, lol.

Here's a free of charge visual:

Edit: Oops, just saw you had a personal thread.

This is going pretty well. I'm currently tweaking the rules of how you get different lands (you can only place grasslands, hill and ocean) but I think what I have right now is a good demo.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:10:34 AM by chrisbot6 »

start with just rocks and water because that's how earth started