HammerHost dedicated hosting service :: Clients, get your files

Poll

Even if no more problems with the home-hosting happen, would you pay $4.00/month if HammerHost was still run at home?

Yes, home hosting will stabilize and become more reliable
No, I feel comfortable only with a remote dedicated server

Author Topic: HammerHost dedicated hosting service :: Clients, get your files  (Read 51935 times)

What an utter mess this is. Extremely unprofessional and run by a moron who doesn't know what the forget he's doing.
You sound like Furdle.
And there you go again, confusing network unreliability as proof of my low knowledge. I have run 1 hosting service before this and managed another before that.

And there you go again, confusing network unreliability as proof of my low knowledge. I have run 1 hosting service before this and managed another before that.
It's true, though. Nobody in their right mind would try to run a hosting service when the server is down every other day.

It's true, though. Nobody in their right mind would try to run a hosting service when the server is down every other day.
How the hell am I supposed to know when the ISP will crap on the connection? They have provided 100% uptime for the last 2 years and all of a sudden they start failing. It's the largest ISP in the United States also. This is business-class service; I expect it to have at least 99.5% uptime.

How the hell am I supposed to know when the ISP will crap on the connection? They have provided 100% uptime for the last 2 years and all of a sudden they start failing. It's the largest ISP in the United States also. This is business-class service; I expect it to have at least 99.5% uptime.
What ISP are you using?
Also, I'd like to note that while you can explain that the unreliability is not your fault, what do you think the average user will think? The service is down, it must be the service's fault.

What ISP are you using?
Verizon FiOS.

Also, I'd like to note that while you can explain that the unreliability is not your fault, what do you think the average user will think? The service is down, it must be the service's fault.
I'm mainly doing this to throw some water on the flamers and prove that the downtimes are not due to experience or knowledge at all. Apparently everybody believes that I am a noob who has no clue how to run a hosting service, just because of network failures.

If my systems had 100% uptime, I could run it just as well as CBMhost.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:54:55 PM by Hammereditor5 »

Verizon FiOS.
For some reason, in my area, phone carriers don't provide internet service (which is why I get confused when people talk about AT&T as an ISP). I know COX is very reliable and only goes down once every few months and only for an  hour or two.

This is not usually true.

Umm, you clearly have no knowledge in this field. Servers are designed to run 24/7, to achieve this they have built in redundancies. You have had problems with overheating before, this is because the processor you are using is simply not fit for this purpose. The AMD FX series is a budget desktop line, they are not high performance, and no where near as reliable as, for example, intel Xeons.

My servers are run in an air conditioned, dust free environment. They are designed for server use (Poweredge 1950s). Please, if you're going to do something, do it well.

Umm, you clearly have no knowledge in this field.
I have built my own computer one year ago and modified and upgraded another one recently.

You have had problems with overheating before, this is because the processor you are using is simply not fit for this purpose.
It was because the fan failed, not the CPU! It runs below 40° C on a 24/7 basis. Anything above 60° C is not good.

ugh
What? Look at his posts and how new he is, he's obviously an alt.

They are designed for server use (Poweredge 1950s). Please, if you're going to do something, do it well.
Who uses those anymore? It's not 2006.

Failing to see how you're having so many network issues. Does the ISP not have an SLA on a business connection? I would not be paying my bill if I were you.

Does the ISP not have an SLA on a business connection?
I am trying to find that right now, but I heard they do not have an SLA on residential FiOS.

It looks like this isn't going as planned, I'm really sad to see. Is there any way that you can get a new ISP?

I have built my own computer one year ago and modified and upgraded another one recently.
[ size=14pt]It was because the fan failed, not the CPU! It runs below 40° C on a 24/7 basis. Anything above 60° C is not good.[/size]

A desktop computer is not the same as a server class computer. You see in a server class computer, you have redundancies not only in power supplies but in cooling as well. So say one fan packs up, there is another there ready to take over the cooling load. You simply cannot compare a desktop to a server. Stop comparing a desktop to a server!

Take one of my 1950s for example,

See the multiple hot swap fan packs? If one of those fail, the cpu will still have sufficient cooling, it'll also alert me so I can pop in a new one. No overheating. If all of them failed at once, and the cpu did get hot, I would get a critical warning and have time to sort everything out, it wouldn't just die.

It is also important to make sure no dust gets in, or at least clean it regularly.

Who uses those anymore? It's not 2006.

Mainly budget, you can pick one of these up in excellent condition for like £70 including rails
They're still pretty good for my visualization needs, I have two E5345s in it and it's still going strong
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:38:13 PM by Fluff-is-back »

You simply cannot compare a desktop to a server. Stop comparing a desktop to a server!
I was not really comparing the two types of systems; I was saying that the reduced reliability of a desktop computer is NOT the reason for my recent downtimes.

It is also important to make sure no dust gets in, or at least clean it regularly.
Yes, I clean my computers of dust at least once every two months.