Poll

Even if no more problems with the home-hosting happen, would you pay $4.00/month if HammerHost was still run at home?

Yes, home hosting will stabilize and become more reliable
No, I feel comfortable only with a remote dedicated server

Author Topic: HammerHost dedicated hosting service :: Clients, get your files  (Read 51980 times)

i could host a better free dedi

lol

Also, if you still don't think Hammer and Pacnet are the same people you are as dumb as him.
Finally, someone else suspecting the same thing.
get out
wow.

Does the ISP not have an SLA on a business connection? I would not be paying my bill if I were you.
I've looked low and high for an SLA, but I could not find one. Instead, I found this...

IN ADDITION, VERIZON DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT SERVICE CAN BE PROVISIONED TO YOUR LOCATION, OR THAT PROVISIONING WILL OCCUR ACCORDING TO A SPECIFIED SCHEDULE. THE PROVISIONING AND PERFORMANCE (SPEED) OF THE SERVICE IS SUBJECT TO CIRCUIT OR OTHER NETWORK FACILITY AVAILABILITY AND OTHER FACTORS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOOP LENGTH, THE CONDITION OF YOUR TELEPHONE LINE AND WIRING INSIDE YOUR LOCATION, AND COMPUTER/DEVICE CONFIGURATION AND CAPABILITIES AND NETWORK/INTERNET CONGESTION, AMONG OTHER FACTORS. IN THE EVENT YOUR LINE IS NOT PROVISIONED FOR ANY REASON, NEITHER YOU NOR VERIZON SHALL HAVE ANY DUTIES OR OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT (OTHER THAN YOUR OBLIGATION TO RETURN ANY VERIZON-PROVIDED EQUIPMENT). VERIZON DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE OR EQUIPMENT PROVIDED BY VERIZON WILL MEET YOUR NEEDS, PERFORM AT A PARTICULAR SPEED, BANDWIDTH OR DATA THROUGHPUT RATE, OR WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE, OR SECURE, OR FREE OF VIRUSES, WORMS, DISABLING CODE OR CONDITIONS, OR THE LIKE.
...here. Which basically disclaims their responsibility for being reliable.

I'm quite confused; I used their residential FiOS for 2 years and uptime has been at least 99.9%. They even exceed their advertised speeds consistently by at least 15%. But since the last 8 days they decided to take a dump on the connection.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:31:15 PM by Hammereditor5 »

Sounds like DoS to me, service providers rarely have such issues without communicating reasons to customers.

Sounds like DoS to me, service providers rarely have such issues without communicating reasons to customers.
My father has just called them; I'll find out what Verizon claims.
But Task manager does not show any high usage when one of these outages occur. So if it's a DoS, they must be attacking the router.

Weekly uptime is now a pathetic 74.12%. This current outage has lasted over 6 hours so far.
Let's see how long it takes to get to 69.9%!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:00:09 PM by Hammereditor5 »

Stop breaking my eyes with your big text

I've been considering getting a back-up VPS at maybe $20/month, but it isn't worth it because the cause of the downtime could be a DoS, and the attacker will attack both the VPS and home network.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:36:47 AM by Hammereditor5 »

Some butthurt idiot is probably DDOSing like Rub said.
What a moron, even a bigger one if he's DDOSing everything blockland-related.

Hammer,
Stop breaking my eyes with your big text.

Use a normal font size. I'm fairly sure about 90% of every webpage uses a font size around 10 or 12 points. Whatever you're using now does not look that good - if you want to use a scaled-up font, at least use one that looks good scaled up.

Hammer,
Use a normal font size. I'm fairly sure about 90% of every webpage uses a font size around 10 or 12 points. Whatever you're using now does not look that good - if you want to use a scaled-up font, at least use one that looks good scaled up.
I do that only whenever somebody misses my point.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:08:56 AM by Hammereditor5 »

as much as i dislike hammer, can this topic please stay on topic and not off to his past, please?
What I said has gone through the pan because he can't host a stable server. Of course people aren't going to be happy.

But Task manager does not show any high usage when one of these outages occur. So if it's a DoS, they must be attacking the router.
When I intend on building my home server I'm going to make sure that it's a router too so that it can track things that are going inside and out of it. I wouldn't have a server hooked up to a router that cannot track the traffic being sent. I'm still shocked Hammer is still hosting this considering of all the issues it's having. It's clearly taking the toll on your father if he's rung up the ISP rather than you.

get out
Shut up kid, what I said was actually relevant and maybe it would kick Hammer's ass to show him how much protection he needs to put in place before he even intends on hosting for a community with at least several thousand people going on the forums monthly.

I think someone should create a tutorial on how to set up a VPS server for Blockland needs or something, for those who are willing to spend some money to keep up with reliability. I'd do one for Windows but if one was under budget then they'd obviously use a Linux server distribution where I'm clueless.

I am beginning to believe this is a DoS because yesterday's downtimes appear to be strategically timed. The first one lasted 17 minutes, and started right when 38 total players were online across 4 servers. After the attack, nobody came for at least 3 hours.

Also, the next downtime was 6 hours, and happened from ~4:00 PM EST to ~10:40 PM EST. This is exactly the time when the most players are online.

When I intend on building my home server I'm going to make sure that it's a router too so that it can track things that are going inside and out of it.
Unfortunately, I cannot do that since coaxial cables are used to connect the router to the fiber-to-coax "box" and purchasing an adapter for my computer would be too expensive, considering how much $ has been spent on HammerHost so far.

show him how much protection he needs to put in place before he even intends on hosting
Even Return to Blockland could not afford DDoS protection; how can a free hosting service do this? And no matter what kind of machine or bandwidth I have, I will get DoS'd.

I'm still shocked Hammer is still hosting this considering of all the issues it's having. It's clearly taking the toll on your father if he's rung up the ISP rather than you.
I will keep hosting this until/if the ISP gives up or terminates us. If this is a DoS attack, the best way to handle it is to simply persist and keep running the hosting service, even if you don't even have 76% uptime in the last week. The attacker will soon get tired of it and quit.

My father also thinks the same; he's not tired of it yet.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:06:58 AM by Hammereditor5 »