DrenDran's WIP Economy Server --- How long do I make a year?

Poll

How long should a year take? (Crops take maybe 2/3 of a year to grow on average, take into consideration changes in gameplay style here)

Six hours? (Maintenance for best output maybe once an hour)
23 (51.1%)
Twelve hours? (Reccomended maintenance every few hours for best output)
2 (4.4%)
A day (Optimal maintenance is maybe two/three times a day)
6 (13.3%)
Longer (Maintenance maybe once/twice a day)
14 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: DrenDran's WIP Economy Server --- How long do I make a year?  (Read 12784 times)

New Economy Simulator Stuff --- Being made

Quote from: Last poll results
Question:    Make crops more long term allowing for an economy system like that of RoB?
Yes.       -23 (65.7%)
No.  (Doesn't matter cause I'm making a second test server for this anyway lol)       -12 (34.3%)
Lock Voting
Edit Poll
Total Voters: 35

So yeah, to increase the time of the lifespan of the server, as well as reduce crop supply to create demand for a realistic economy simulation, crop times are being made a lot longer. A few things to keep in mind:
  • Crops probably won't need to be watered constantly any more. Watering may be limited to new crops, certain types of crops, or very dry years.
  • "Maintenance" may refer to many things. It might mean watering in the beginning, spraying pesticide as the crops get mature, and weeding in every stage. Basically it's how often should you come on the server if you've got crops growing.
  • People will probably have much larger, more realistic farms in this version, with better equipment to boot.
  • Longer years mean actual days might be a thing, as well as noticeable changes between seasons. A day night cycle with different skyboxes for different weather and seasons will be added.

Older Farming Server --- Still online

Plants:
  • Annuals --- These plants take a while to mature, but don't fully reset when harvested and can't become overgrown.
    • Blueberries --- Use large soil brick and sell for $5 each. Don't die in the cold, rather they hibernate.
    • Strawberries --- Use large soil brick and sell for $7 each.
    • Grapes --- Use fence brick and sell for $7 each.
  • Perennials --- These plants take shorter times to grow, but must be replanted after a harvest.
    • Potatos --- 6 Stages until maturity. Planted on regular soil. Sells for $5 each.
    • Corn --- 7 Stages until maturity. Planted on regular soil. Sells for $7 each.
    • Wheat --- 8 Stages until maturity. Planted on regular soil. Sells for $8 each.
    • Tomatos --- 9 Stages until maturity. Planted on regular soil. Sells for $10 each.
  • Continuous --- No exact time to harvest. When harvested reverts back a stage and can be 'harvested' all the way back to a dirt brick.
    • Cannabis --- Up to 10 stages. Bought for >$20 a seed, sells for only $5. Can be smoked. Uses regular soil.

Tools:
  • Harvest tool --- Used to harvest crops. Click on a crop that's yours or someone with your trust to harvest.
  • Watering can --- Click any crop to water it.
  • Seed bag ("Plant crops") --- Right click to cycle though crop types to plant. Be sure you have some of the right kind of seed then click a soil brick to plant.
  • Shovel ("Till soil") --- Click soil bricks that don't have anything planted on them to till the soil. This will increase fertility of the soil and thus future crop yield.

Bricks:
  • Technology Bricks:
    • Sprinkler --- Automatically waters crops near it. Click to activate/deactivate. Costs $500
    • Heater --- Provides heat and light for crops in certain situations. Click to activate/deactivate. Costs $500
    • Auto harvester --- Automatically harvests crops near it that are ripe. Costs $2500
    • Weed killer --- A brick that costs $200 and starts with 10 charges. When weeds nearby spawn, it will remove them and use a charge. When all charges are used, the brick will remove itself.
  • Soil bricks:
    • Regular (small) soil --- 2x2 brick, costs $100. Cannabis, wheat, corn, tomatos, and potatoes can be planted on it.
    • Fence brick --- Costs $300. Grapes are planted on it.
    • Large (bush) soil --- 4x4 brick, costs $250. Blueberries are planted on this.

Game mechanics:
  • Weeds --- Weeds spawn very rarely on growing crops, but mostly they have a chance of appearing on a crop when it gets overgrown. Once weeds spawn somewhere, they will quickly start to spread to nearby crops. Crops with weeds on them will stop growing and will eventually start to regress slowly. Weeds may be pulled by click on a brick with no tool equipped.
  • Water --- Plants need water. You water crops by clicking on them with the watering can. This adds some water. Growing plants will have the soil underneath them change colour to indicate wetness. The better watered a plant, the faster it grows. If it gets dehydrated it'll start to regress and eventually die. Sprinklers automatically water crops.
  • Tilling --- Soil without crops on it changes colour to indicate fertility, rather than wetness. Soil may be tilled by clicking on it with the shovel equipped. Each time you grow and harvest a plant on tilled soil, it loses one level of fertility of a maximum of nine. Fertility increases crop yields.
  • Harvesting --- Annual plants have two stages where they may be harvested. An early stage that grants a half-yield. And a full stage that grants a full yield. Perennials have one stage where they bear obvious fruit. Continuous plants may be harvested at any stage, though the yields for the first few stages may be very small or non-existent depending on fertilization. The only way to tell if a crop is at the right stage is to look at it and know what it should look like. Growth stage and fertilization are currently the only two factors that affect yield amounts.
  • Tempature --- The goal temperature to get your crops at is 72 degrees. Any higher or lower and they'll grow slower. Higher and they'll also lose water faster. Under 32 degrees and they freeze to death or in some cases hibernate. Heaters add heat on top of the current tempature.
  • Seasons --- There is a 25.6 real life minute year in place. Spring Summer and Fall are all 8 minutes. Winter is 100 seconds. Each season has its own average temperature for that season.

Green: Implemented.
Yellow: Present in older version. Must be rewritten for remake.
Red: Not present.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:30:59 PM by DrenDran »

FARMIN'

seriously though i would like to see that server up again, i thought it was p good

I remember this!!

Please open it, man. Just don't keep resetting progress like what happened last time. Lost my everything three times.

That weed mod was gold

And at the same time quite terrifying

YES! I was just thinking about this server a couple days ago. Please do the lot system though because it was awful without it.

I remember when Waldo used to host his farm server, those where good times, its a shame he doesn't host it anymore, but yours looks great!
I think I played it before though, however I don't remember if it had models back then or not...

Try to make an actual build this time, cause if I rember correctly, it was just a grid of baseplates.

YES! I was just thinking about this server a couple days ago. Please do the lot system though because it was awful without it.

Pretty sure there was, maybe I'm wrong

It would be nice to see the server up

i want immersion

i want to emerge from my old rustic farmhouse, look across my 5 acre cornfield and see my neighbor out in his tractor, seeding his plants

ah

Only if i can grow poppies and make heroin.