DrenDran's WIP Economy Server --- How long do I make a year?

Poll

How long should a year take? (Crops take maybe 2/3 of a year to grow on average, take into consideration changes in gameplay style here)

Six hours? (Maintenance for best output maybe once an hour)
23 (51.1%)
Twelve hours? (Reccomended maintenance every few hours for best output)
2 (4.4%)
A day (Optimal maintenance is maybe two/three times a day)
6 (13.3%)
Longer (Maintenance maybe once/twice a day)
14 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: DrenDran's WIP Economy Server --- How long do I make a year?  (Read 13082 times)

economy is boring for blockland
we need classic farming
people are getting bored of farming very quickly

people are getting bored of farming very quickly
as in classic farming i mean the old one we all loved, before the current version.

as in classic farming i mean the old one we all loved, before the current version.
This, the crop stealing(now removed), cops, mining, residential, mining, and all the extra rp stuffed ruined it in my opinion.

So the server's kinda died.
I think most people agree this is due to it being too easy to "beat".
Now I gotta figure out how to fix that.
Well let's look at some core game mechanics and compare how they are start and end game, shall we?

Planting

Start-game

Just click on a few plants and you're done.

End-game

With large fields gets annoying because you have to click on hundreds of bricks, sometimes even thousands.

My suggestion

Add some sort of tool in shops (Oh hey, player shops) or a vehicle to spread crops.

Tilting

Start-game

Kinda 50/50, since there's not much crops the job is pretty easy, though due to low level it is isn't as fast as others are.

End-game

Once again, you have to tilt hundreds or even thousands of bricks. Worst part? Each requires multiple hits. Tilting skill does help here a bit, though the amount of soils can increase in size much, much faster than you lvl up tilting. Solution? None as of yet. Some decide to get out of this by hiring people to till, but that's not the best workaround.

My suggestion

Add some sort of vehicle to tilt ground. No, not a brick.

Watering

Start-game

Not that much of a problem really, you just have to be near you plants every minute or so. Get's a bit annoying with more plants, but, *khem*, START game. Rain can thankfully help out here, though you can't rely on it.

End-game

It's not end-game at all, sprinklers are super easy to get. Just plant a few down and you don't have to worry about watering at all. What's even worse? Better splinkers. Rain becomes fully useless feature just for atmosphere. Doing it manually / hiring workers is stupid, especially since plants near a sprinkler grow faster due to being watered immediately.

My suggestion

Eh, not really sure about this one. Better sprinklers are definitely a goner. Normal sprinklers too, or maybe just heavily nerf the latter (For example need to re-fill it, maybe automated with some sort of pipes and tanks, which can be re-filled with rain collectors or by buying water for it) . Maybe add more time before plants need watering and a vehicle that can water plants.

Weeds

Start-game

Due to their low chance to appear sometimes you don't even see weeds at all. If they do spread while you were looking, it's not hard to get rid of them even with lvl 1 weeding.

End-game

Welll you see this is where it gets tricky. Say, let's do it manually. Well firstly they appear more commonly due to larger fields, if you do not catch them fast they will get your whole field. Yeah, good luck clearing that. Yeah let's go with the automated route. How? Weed killers. Just for $200 you get a brick with 10 charges, which are more OP that you might think, because they will clear weeds immediately before they spread. One of those bricks can last you a while, but plant a few of them and weeds won't be a problem at all. Hell, they're good at clearing jungles of weed too.

My suggestion

Remove weed killers, and make weeds spread a bit slower. Also, some sort of chemical to make plants more resistant to weeds. Maybe gloves sold by shops to get of weeds in a small area (3x3, center being block clicked). Maybe plants which are more resistant to weeds by nature.

Temperature

Start-game

Sometimes can really forget over new players. Can be avoided by planting in spring or hoping the winter won't be freezing. 1k is enough to buy a heater and a few plants yeah, but there's players unaware of this.

End-game

$500? Pfft, pennies. The only problem would be that you have to manually set the temperature, but if slowed down growth doesn't worry you, you can always just leave them at 15 and you'll be fine. Plants dehydrating faster? Phah, sprinklers!

My suggestion

Add more plants that "sleep" during winter, and also plants that are more picky about weather and plants with their own lower/higher "perfect temperature". Maybe not allow plants to be planted on a certain temperature (which is higher than 32)?

Harvesting

Start-game

Not a problem, just click a few plants.

End-game

Can get out of hand because not all plants get to their mature stage all at once, so picking manually can lead to plants overgrowing. Of course, you could plant plants at different times, but, there's auto harvesters for a cheap price of 2.5k! (Trust me when you get to the stage where doing it manually isn't fast enough you will have such money) They ignore your harvester level yeah, but for some that's not an issue. With them you basically can forget about your plants.

My suggestion

Removed/EXTREMELY nerfed auto harvester . A tool sold in shops that can harvest specific plants in an area, also a vehicle.

Other stuff

Residential area

Currently, it's useless. Why, you may ask? Well, currently, the only profitable way to get cash is to farm. What does that require? A lot in agricultural zone. Bam, there's the problem. Of course, you could earn some dosh from farming and start building in residential, but not everybody gets out of the start game to be able to afford that. Plus, what are the benefits of owning a lot in residential are? That's right, none. You do get a discount on building, but, *khem*, it helps when you build there yes, but it doesn't give a reason to build.

No way to spend cash

The classic CityRPG deal, you spend cash to earn more cash, but what when you earn enough? Well, you can build, that's it. There should be something you can buy which would give you benefits other than more cash (It still needs to have some benefits for people to buy it). Cars? Maybe schools where you can pay for education/earn skills? Clothes? hats? etc

Economics

Yup. First of all, when we sell crops it goes nowhere. You just get cash from air. Our crops should be actually used, so, for example, we would be able to build a factory which would turn wheat into bread. Then, said bread can be sold to shops. This can really expand the gameplay. If you ever seen a store, the shelfs are not just filled with tomatoes are they? Well, then if there's a shortage of, say, potatoes, they will sell for more while selling price on tomatoes will drop. See how this goes? And this idea can be really expanded too, say, stocks, businesses (Which require workers too, and a lot in residental), etc.

Shops

Just adding to economics, this would add a reason to own a lot in residential. Prices shouldn't be the same too, they should go up/down depending on shortages/excessive amount of X resource. There should also be some sort of education/license needed for this, and some system to integrate businesses and workers.

Vehicles

Yup, all sort of vehicles. From some family hatchback to a tractor. Agricultural region will only allow farming vehicles, residential only civilian ones and, of course, it will require a lot. Maybe even add gas and ability for people to build gas stations, but I think that'll make it annoying more than anything.

Banks

You can't store millions in your pockets, there should be somewhere where you can store cash. Either in your house (Hey, people would be able to rob houses!) or some sort of bank which would take a % of it and maybe give loans. Could be also player made banks which would be able to make that % lower, but that will require a player that has a high lvl business

Crime

Rate of crime really came down in the city after removal of crop stealing. IMO you should completely remove crop stealing, but add other ways of stealing, GTA? Robbing houses? Stores? Banks? Maybe different drugs that can be illegally grown in residential (Permit only works on agricultural).

So yeah hope this helps. Anyway, back to modeling!

SERVER IS DIEING NOOOO

SERVER IS DIEING NOOOO
Made a new poll.

I got an idea of how to revitalize the server.

The Dre-Dran Blockland Rail Road's Chief Engineer of operations and construction is Theepicman, The two workers laying rails are Kit Kat and synthesispanda, With me as the president of the railroad, and credit mobilier. Our goal is to make 250K dollars to fund the railroad project, and the new city. We will go out 1000 32x baseplates into the nothingness-void, and lay a city at the end of the railroad.

The DBRR railroad has been renamed to Union Pacific Railway (UPR) and has a staff of 5 people.
-Jacx/Nizza (President of the UPR and Credit Mobilier)
-Theepicman (Chief Engineer of Operations)
-Xephifre (Railroad Foreman)
-synthesisPandabot (Track-laying crew)
-Kit Kat (Track-laying crew)

The UPR has built a station, and a track so far. 1/500th the way there.

The DBRR railroad has been renamed to Union Pacific Railway (UPR) and has a staff of 5 people.

The UPR is now 1/40th the way done with its track, 1/20th of the  baseplates have been laid down, 1/40th of the track has been completed. Everything is being done by hand, no duplicators.

stuff YOU GUYS ARE STARTING?
add me on steam mate

The UPR is now 1/40th the way done with its track, 1/20th of the  baseplates have been laid down, 1/40th of the track has been completed. Everything is being done by hand, no duplicators.

The Union Pacific Railway has reached its halfway point, our new goal is 500 32x16s (1K was a bit much)
We have reached a 250 baseplate point, as said we reached halfway

The Union Pacific Railway continues its feat, and 240 more baseplates are to be made right now
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:09:46 PM by Nizza Deutchsen Man »

The UPR has completed the railroad to its halfway mark, 500 32x16 baseplates, ties laid by one by one, as too with the rails. To walk the distance of the current railroad, is  75 minutes to walk 500 32x baseplates. This is only 20-25 minutes within the railroad. This could not have come to its halfway mark without the help of some individuals

- Current chief engineer of operations of the UPR: synthesisPandabot
- Former chief engineer of operations and chief stockholder, Theepicman
- President of the UPR and Credit Mobilier, Nizza/Jacx
- Track laying crew: Kit Kat, synthesisPandaBot, Nizza, Xephifre

Thank you to everyone who donated to the project so far, and participated in it.

Credit Mobilier has raised 823,001.2 dollars in donations, investments, and profits so far total.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:15:55 AM by Nizza Deutchsen Man »

Plans for experimental private test server:

• Everything's slowed down. Things aren't so high maintenance. A year might be half a day rather than 25 minutes. Rather than hopping into the server for an hour and maybe getting 2 (or if you're great 3) plantings and harvests of plants, you'll plant stuff, maybe leave for a bit, come back and tend things. Come back a bit later and tend again. Then maybe come back to harvest. Each time you also check up on your shops, maybe build a bit, do some crafting or mining, and socialize.
  • Rain will come more than once a year, and be made a bit more important, sprinklers not so much. They'll still be in the game, but with a higher radius due to the fact that farms are going to be bigger now.
  • Heaters will also still be in the game, but planting at the right time will be emphasized except for small gardens and weed.
  • Tractor will be added in. Like I said, I expect farms to be a decent big bigger this time around. People will also start with more money.
  • The reduced supply from the greatly reduced speed puts us within the range of simulating a supply and demand economy. You no longer sell using just a command for a set price, but rather to players who need your goods. The economy will probably be simulated in a way similar to Rise of Blockland.
  • You'll need to eat the food. A lot of people have asked for this one.
  • Weed will be back to a novelty item rather than being the primary source of income for many farmers. This is because it will no longer have an artificial market, same with food. Smokeable Cannabis and Cannabis seeds will be two separate resources alongside things like food, wood, and metal.
  • Trees will be added as they are being added to the current server. Besides from providing food, they will also provide wood.
  • Mining will be fleshed out, though I'm still trying to think of ways this might work.
  • Wood and metals are in the game as resources.
  • You use wood to build basic bricks, metals will be crafted into more complex bricks, as well as items and vehicles.
  • There will probably be a day night cycle. As well as different skyboxes for each sesason.
  • Might make a GUI for the server, but I really do want to try and keep it optional. If the server's good enough there's always a bunch of people who don't mind (see DRP and RoB)

I'll add more as I think of it. I know there's more. Basically it's got the farming of say, Wurm Online, the economy of Rise of Blockland, and the mining of Infinite Mining.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 10:20:04 PM by DrenDran »

-snip
Can you just re-name the server DrenDran's City RPG/Economy Simulator?

Classic farming is dead now.

Can you just re-name the server DrenDran's City RPG/Economy Simulator?

Classic farming is dead now.
Boo hoo?
Seriously, quit being so dramatic about it. Farming is still going to be in the server and be a huge part of it. I don't see what the issue is?