#gamergate megathread

Author Topic: #gamergate megathread  (Read 122499 times)

I don't think it's actually worth responding to marcem because he's actually disinterested enough in participating rationally in a discussion that he won't dedicate the time to entertain an opposing viewpoint even through his own warped lens.

jesus christ marcem i appreciate you trying but can we see some effort? get a hustle on out there, kiddo.
lol saying kid on the internet so tuff

[Citation Needed]

And even if that is true, it doesn't invalidate the stuff in the article. This is literally my last remark to you. You call us "conspiracy theorists" yet you seems to think that all the pro-gamergate people are conspiring to forget with the gaming media. Literally the definition of a conspiracy theorist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos#Controversy

yeah, I trust this dude not loveist at all

I don't think it's actually worth responding to marcem because he's actually disinterested enough in participating rationally in a discussion that he won't dedicate the time to entertain an opposing viewpoint even through his own warped lens.
jesus christ sorry i have things to do and don't possess hours to use to hate women

Here are some articles that attempt to remain neutral on the issue, educate yourselves with the meme encyclopedia

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/gamergate

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/quinnspiracy

EDIT: The main purpose of the event isn't to hate women, it's to expose the corruption within games journalism and development

"Social Justice Warriors" have a reputation for being extremists in what they believe, often blindly following and defending people of a minority or the feminine gender. They defended Zoe Quinn when all of this was starting, despite her having had around five affairs to gain power and comitting rape under her own definition.

The people who are on a crusade to destroy people like Zoe or Anita, however, are the people that set the movement back, in the same way that an extremist sets back his/her/other cause.

EDIT 2: I didn't mean people that try and show the corruption, I mean the people that threaten rape, violence, and private investigating against the movement's enemies.

EDIT 3 - RETURN OF THE EDIT: Reddit, 4chan, and other websites have been deleting threads and banning people who try to talk about the issue, and websites such as Kotaku have been jumping on gamers, claiming they're all bad people who spend hours every day hating women and minorities, along with being linked to corruption.

EDIT 4 - A NEW EDIT: The websites were linked to corruption, not the gamers. I need to clarify this wall.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:02:43 PM by WaterOre »

lol saying kid on the internet so tuff
i should be clear that i never really mean those things in a condescending way or whatever even though it's probably a logical conclusion to come to. but you know i dont.

jesus christ sorry i have things to do and don't possess hours to use to hate women
If you're that sensitive that you're able to screw the space-time continuum enough so it seems like we're hating women instead of discussing the politics of the video game industry and video games "journalism" specifically (which is what we're actually doing), you should head on back to Tumblr and watch out for all those dangerous trigger warnings.

i should be clear that i never really mean those things in a condescending way or whatever even though it's probably a logical conclusion to come to. but you know i dont.
Sorry I haven't read your every post or ever seen you here before?
If you're that sensitive that you're able to screw the space-time continuum enough so it seems like we're hating women instead of discussing the politics of the video game industry and video games "journalism" specifically (which is what we're actually doing), you should head on back to Tumblr and watch out for all those dangerous trigger warnings.
how is this about games journalism, tell me where the corruption is, oh wait that's right, you don't know

how is this about games journalism, tell me where the corruption is, oh wait that's right, you don't know anything
You stubbornly refuse to look at every single bit of evidence we hand you, passing it off for ridiculous and void reasons. I can image in your head right now, it's a bit like; "I don't want to believe this, I want to be the most smart and intelligent person here and dismiss this issue because unlike everybody else I'm clever."

If you're going to continue to not read anything related to #GamerGate, please leave this topic. You're only continuing to push an uninformed and stubborn opinion to people who want to focus on this issue.

You stubbornly refuse to look at every single bit of evidence we hand you, passing it off for ridiculous and void reasons. I can image in your head right now, it's a bit like; "I don't want to believe this, I want to be the most smart and intelligent person here and dismiss this issue because unlike everybody else I'm clever."

If you're going to continue to not read anything related to #GamerGate, please leave this topic. You're only continuing to push an uninformed and stubborn opinion to people who want to focus on this issue.
So you cannot tell me without sending me a 30 minute video, thus you don't know.

yeah i assumed that. that's kinda why i made that post in the first place.

So you cannot tell me without sending me a 30 minute video, thus you don't know.
A) Why should I bother rewriting what has been better said by other people who include more evidence than I could?
B) Any time I try to argue a point I always miss facts or get something wrong, whereas these people have done significant amounts of research

If you really want a highly summarised version, all you need to do is look at the big sites like Polygon and Kotaku. These are not run by professional journalists with degrees, but instead by a bunch of bloggers who are all in cahoots with each other (according to leaked email lists and such). While they do their own separate thing, in big issues like this one they tend to come together and as a group decide on what the "journalists" approach will be.

Zoe Quinn cheated on her boyfriend (something that makes me disgusted by her in any scenario) supposedly 5 or more times with developers and "journalists", and these people have been noted as key promoters for the game and for her. That's probably the biggest example of someone using their contacts to spread out advertising for their game. Normally, proper journalists would step away (there's a certain word, but I've forgotten) if they have a bias and allow for somebody else to do a proper review. These people didn't, and have since tried to mask their activities from the public.

Also, remember the "Gamers are dead" trend? I wrote an article about that, where I tried to remain slightly neutral in it all. That was their immediate reaction; immediately insult and name-call anybody with a differing opinion based on known truths.

A) Why should I bother rewriting what has been better said by other people who include more evidence than I could?
B) Any time I try to argue a point I always miss facts or get something wrong, whereas these people have done significant amounts of research

If you really want a highly summarised version, all you need to do is look at the big sites like Polygon and Kotaku. These are not run by professional journalists with degrees, but instead by a bunch of bloggers who are all in cahoots with each other (according to leaked email lists and such). While they do their own separate thing, in big issues like this one they tend to come together and as a group decide on what the "journalists" approach will be.
So people cannot be friends is what you're saying.  Damn, you will hate the games industry!

Zoe Quinn cheated on her boyfriend (something that makes me disgusted by her in any scenario) supposedly 5 or more times with developers and "journalists", and these people have been noted as key promoters for the game and for her. That's probably the biggest example of someone using their contacts to spread out advertising for their game. Normally, proper journalists would step away (there's a certain word, but I've forgotten) if they have a bias and allow for somebody else to do a proper review. These people didn't, and have since tried to mask their activities from the public.
So where was that promotion?  Link me to that.  Because that never happened.  And of course they masked their activities, they don't want to deal with crazy people that literally want to kill them.  Also personal relationships have nothing to do with games.

Also, remember the "Gamers are dead" trend? I wrote an article about that, where I tried to remain slightly neutral in it all. That was their immediate reaction; immediately insult and name-call anybody with a differing opinion based on known truths.
The trend was that "gamer" is a dumb term.  If you really define yourself as a consumer of a single type of media, you have serious issues to work out.  Go outside. 

Yes, that'll happen when the only time you're actually active is to stir stuff around for no reason.

So people cannot be friends is what you're saying.

if it bleeds into their loving career it's a problem

The trend was that "gamer" is a dumb term.  If you really define yourself as a consumer of a single type of media, you have serious issues to work out.  Go outside.  
"Trekkie"
"Whovian"
"Athlete"
"Moviegoer"
"Bookworm"

So people cannot be friends is what you're saying.  Damn, you will hate the games industry!
It's so easy to summarise what I said in a way that's completely opposite to its meaning.

Readers of a for-profit publication have the expectation that the author is a professional. Being professional means that you use standards and don't allow your personal relationships to dictate how you do your job. These people were deliberately shaping the content being released based on who it offended.

So where was that promotion?  Link me to that.  Because that never happened. 
I'm not going to, because InternetAristocrat and a few others already had linked to them. You can prove you're not just trying to be a stuff-starter by going off to do the research. I already said I was giving you a highly summarised version and that's it.

Also personal relationships have nothing to do with games.
Then this proves you know absolutely nothing about the industry, and you should probably consider going to another thread to flame.

The trend was that "gamer" is a dumb term.  If you really define yourself as a consumer of a single type of media, you have serious issues to work out.  Go outside. 
So I guess all those people who like to label themselves are utter cunts with no lives. How dare anybody actually want to be happy with who they are?!