Author Topic: Is building a computer hard?  (Read 4125 times)

hey forums, for christmas I was thinking about getting a new computer. but i'm worried i'll waste all this money then not know how to put it together.
Please let me know anything I need to know and such. thanks!

I just built one for the first time about a week ago.  Watch Linus's and Newegg's tutorial videos and you will be fine.  Its helpful to have a friend to ask questions if you run into a problem but you can always post in the computer megathread too.

linus:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg
newegg:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

it's basically legos but more screws and wires

Do you have to solder anything?

Building a computer is like playing with Lego NXT, you have to get your base parts ( Case, Graphics card, Mother Board, ETC ) then add any extra performance tweaks but really not that difficult once you get everything they screw right in place you just gotta know where to hook cords up and some programing knowledge. This can get expensive If you are going for a high performance it will get expensive but some things are really cheap, you just got to look out for crappy items, They may be cheap but you'll probably remove that Item that failed in less than 4 months.

My dogs shed a lot, can this be a problem with loose hair on the floor? I usually clean it up but I'm just worried.
I don't know anything about building computers.

Do you have to solder anything?
Only tool you need is a phillips screwdriver.  Screws, zip ties, and everything else should come with your case and motherboard.

nodon't watch linus
Whats wrong with linus's?  It was helpful to me.

clean out your fans every now and then if you suspect it's building up in them

I already do that on my current one.

I already do that on my current one.
then you should be fine, mate

welp. thanks guys
I'm going to leave this open just in case I need to know anything else

one more thing
if you have no experience with choosing parts, let someone make a list for you
as you learn more, you may edit it as you wish