Poll

[February 2016] Most anticipated DLC?

Automatron
Wasteland Workshop
Far Harbor

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Fallout 4 || Contraption, Vault-Tec, Nuka World  (Read 582143 times)

Do you guys all think this deep when you play games? I never thought about the legitimacy of a sustainable currency, I just thought about shooting stuff and having a good time

Some people like playing games that aren't just about shooting unlike Call of Duty.

-snip-

bethesda employee: what are people gonna buy stuff with in fallout 3?
todd howard: idk didnt the first game have those bottle caps or something? do that
bethesda employee: sir i thhink something else was used in the other fallouts
todd howard: forget those games if i want gotdamn caps then i want gotdamn caps forget whats canon im the director what i say goes forget you

Some people like playing games that aren't just about shooting unlike Call of Duty.
except you're playing fallout, a game where guns are pretty important

yet easily the least interesting part of the game

I find the currency dilemma pretty interesting

Believe it or not. Fallout was originally built on story, not guns.

So california, washington, Pittsburg, Boston and point lookout, etc all use caps.

I guess it's safe to say every state in the united states including hawaii and alaska use caps now. That makes zero sense.

us virgin islands use caps now confirmed

...all he was doing was confirm and add to my claim
stop trying to start stuff
It's not just that post; tony's been complaining about Fallout 4 & 3 for an extremely long time in this thread.
It's not even just that he's complaining a lot, it's that he's complaining about the most ridiculous and/or insignificant things, and then tries to get as much mileage as he can out of those complaints.
Some of those "complaints" literally include "Fallout 4 doesn't include rape" and "You can't murder children".
He also occasionally seems to just lie so he can complain about the game more.

why are caps still a thing and the main currency
For the same reason people today use paper and digital money: It's an established currency. I don't see why the physical currency itself would need to have any value other than that you can spend it.

It would have literally made more sense for Fallout 4 to use subway tokens as currency instead of caps given how many tokens there are.
Subway tokens seem too uncommon to be a currency to me. I could scavenge more bottlecaps than all of the subway tokens i've found so far in about half a minute.  What price would things that cost 1 bottlecap be in subway tokens? You can't split a token or anything like that, and tokens are too much rarer than bottlecaps for it to be a 1:1 exchange ratio. Would you be forced to buy multiple of them at once?
Besides, as far as i'm aware, a token doesn't represent or "back" anything like you seem to think a currency should.

Weapons Workshop DLC is something that should either be free or included with the game since day 1.
The website advertises that it adds things like cage traps, settler fights, and nixie tube lighting. None of that really seems essential to me, but that's just my opinion.

Believe it or not. Fallout was originally built on story, not guns.
You make it sound like one of those games people would call an "interactive experience."

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons
If you were to compile all the overviews for weapons in a specific game and also pages for the weapons themselves, i'm fairly certain it'd be longer than that page.
Also, i don't think we should count things that actually happened in real life as part of the story of fallout 4.
So california, washington, Pittsburg, Boston and point lookout, etc all use caps.

I guess it's safe to say every state in the united states including hawaii and alaska use caps now. That makes zero sense.
Even putting aside the fact that california didn't use caps at one point, that's 4 of the 50 states in the U.S.A; It doesn't seem safe to say that all of them use caps at all.
Also, i don't see why it doesn't make sense. How is it any different than all of the current US states using the american dollar?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 06:51:19 PM by Blockchip »

For the same reason people today use paper and digital money: It's an established currency. I don't see why the physical currency itself would need to have any value other than that you can spend it.
what im trying to say is its too easy to counterfeit; there is even a quest in f:nv where you have to sabotage a cap making machine, and the paper ncr dollar has been in place for a long time
surely others would catch on to the smarter, and better idea

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons
If you were to compile all the overviews for weapons in a specific game and also pages for the weapons themselves, i'm fairly certain it'd be longer than that page.
Also, i don't think we should count things that actually happened as part of the story of fallout 4.
what im getting at with this is yes, weapons have always been a necessity, its a loving given
but fallout has its own HUGE universe with a TON of lore hidden everywhere in all the games
story has always been the major thing in the fallout series
i can back this up because you would not hear todd and everyone on the fo4 team shutup about how "its gonna have a better story than fallout 3's cliche story"
the only thing that made fallout 4's story interesting for my first playthrough was A-being blind to it and having massive hype, and B-i went with the institute, which is by far the most interesting storyline (i played through the others)
other than that fo4's story was still incredibly cliche and boring, and the fact that you are forced into having a backstory is annoying in its own right
and literally all endings are the same, and the only super interesting ending is hidden and unfinished(buggy)

im sorry for going off topic but i had to get that off my chest lmao

edit: also the fact that bethesda constantly breaks the lore to better fit for its boring cliche stories is annoying
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 06:57:36 PM by Xolerate² »

correct me if im wrong but doesnt the brotherhood win in fo3 no matter what?
Well, Deacon has a line implying (outright stating) that you can safely drink the water in the capital wasteland, where fallout 4 is set. So it seems that, canonically, the water wasn't contaminated during fallout 3.

Just think about this for a second.

The only reason caps were worth a damn in Fallout 1 was because caps were backed by water companies. Clean water was as rare and as valuable as gold.

I don't see why someone would trade a perfectly good weapon for like 50 bottle caps unless the caps were backed by some real value like gold, water, food, etc. The fact is in Fallout 3 and 4 caps are backed by NOTHING.

The only reason our real money has any value because it's currently backed by our gold supply. Without that united states dollar is worthless.

Go down to mexico, their money is pretty much worthless. Bottlecaps are apparently worth more than pesos.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:10:58 PM by Lord Tony® »

Even putting aside the fact that california didn't use caps at one point, that's 4 of the 50 states in the U.S.A; It doesn't seem safe to say that all of them use caps at all.
Also, i don't see why it doesn't make sense. How is it any different than all of the current US states using the american dollar?

Considering how the entire united states got nuked back to the stone age and some states are still struggling to be civilized. Most areas don't even have power or lines of outside communication.

It's safe to say that there is no loving way that every single state could agree on making bottle caps their new universal economy. Where did they get this idea from? Some random guy from california was like "hey guys we use bottlecaps in california, so let's all use bottlecaps now." I don't think so.

The only reason our real money has any value because it's currently backed by our gold supply.
I got bad news for you bud. The US dollar hasn't been backed by gold since 1971, and not a single country in the entire world has had a gold standard since 2013.