Brawl
16 (9.5%)
Project M
13 (7.7%)
79 (47%)
Other
12 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 167

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Megathread - official discord  (Read 246011 times)

Current Tournament
-

Discord

if you plan to emulate stuff for the online buy the game first roostersucker

Welcome to the discussion hub for all games in the Super Smash Bros series

What is Smash Bros?
The Smash series consists of 5 games and a mod (more on that later), all of them platform fighters with the goal being to knock all opponents off of the map. Differences emerge between games as some core mechanics are sometimes heavily tweaked or outright removed between iterations.

What are the games?

Super Smash Bros. (64)
The first and thus oldest game in the series had its debut on the Nintendo 64 and is much different than its sequels. Movement is slower, most or all characters have real 0-death combos, and shields are ineffective. The game has a small cult following and is still emulated and played online today.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
The second game in the series and also the best selling game on the Gamecube for good reason. Melee ramped everything 64 did way up. Accidentally attracted a large following of competitive players because of its fast gameplay and technical depth. Has the biggest competitive scene of all the Smash games by far and can be played online with emulation.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Released on the Wii. What can be considered the developers answer to his distaste for the state of competitive Melee. Brawl was slower and floatier than Melee, combos were harder to pull off, and it was generally designed to be more casual friendly. It is still played competitively but matches focus much more on zoning and pokes than previously. Had online once but it was bad and went poof with the Wii's online services. Can still be played online through emulation (again). Most likely contender for smallest competitive user base. Strangely easy to modify for a console game which led to....

Project M
By far the most popular Brawl mod and the Melee community's answer to Brawl. Changes Brawl to play significantly more like Melee, including heavily rebalancing most cast members, readding wavedashing and other Melee techs, and even adding entirely new stages and characters. Large competitive scene but stifled because of Nintendo's distaste for mods. Can be played online from your Wii (they somehow kept up their online thing) or through emulation. Development halted due to potentially dubious and mostly unknown means but the game is still greatly polished and widely played.  

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS
The most recent game and the first to feature decent online play, Sm4sh removed most of the Brawl jank while keeping most of Brawl's mechanics. Comes on two platforms with stage choices being the only major difference. Continually updated with patches and DLC characters and sporting a sizable competitive scene and endless people to beat up online makes it probably the easiest Smash game to jump into right now.

Rivals of Aether
Notable Smash clone on steam that is actually pretty good and should get more publicity so its here. It tries to raise the aggression to new heights with many of Melee's techs but with easier inputs and a lack of shielding. Currently in early access but it is more than playable with online functionalities and a small but varied roster. Good to check out if you can't emulate anything listed or afford a Wii U or want something new. Obviously bring a Gamecube controller and adapter.

Who plays what?
Give me your necessary online stuff and I'll add you here
note: im not on the forums as much as i was so pm me if you want to be here
Smash 64
Char - Steam
-

Melee
Ultimamax - Steam
Koopascoopa - Steam
Tetris
Ticonderoga - Steam
Nal - Steam
Waru - Steam
Kyro - Steam
Char - Steam
Destroyerofblocks - Steam

Brawl
-
-

Project M
Niff
Koopascoopa - Steam
Ultimamax - Steam
Tetris
Ticonderoga - Steam
Orange - Steam
Kyro - Steam
Char - Steam
Cysero - Steam

Sm4sh 3DS
Orange - Steam - FC: 2638-1466-0168
Cysero - Steam - FC: 2809-7484-2520
Waru - Steam- FC: 0018 - 1449 - 9881
BlueCreeper - Steam - FC: 4124-5086-5357
Plebian Native American - Steam
TeeOS - Steam - FC: 1092-0655-3742
Squidbee FC:2251-8128-0495

Sm4sh Wii U
Destroyerofblocks - Steam - NNID: Squibd
Koopascoopa - Steam - NNID: JZbiddy
Ticonderoga - Steam - NNID: SiriusBull
Orange - Steam - NNID: Skipmeister
Cysero - Steam - NNID: GrandeurCicero
Taboo - Steam - NNID: Naeggi
EnjoyedBen2002 - NNID EnjoyedBen2001
Nal - Steam NNID: nalnalas
Char - Steam - NNID: Sadcolor
Waru - Steam - NNID: baiomuu
BlueCreeper - Steam - NNID: Segameister

Rivals of Aether
-

Is there a BL competitive scene?
Sometimes someone in the thread will host a tournament for a game (usually Sm4sh) that is coordinated in the BL Smash Bros steam group. Join it to be informed if something like that pops up.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blsmash
All BL tournament announcents will be in the thread title and links to them will be on the top of the op.

How to host/join tourney?
When you see a tourney announcement in the title just check the top of the page and click the challonge.com link and register an account there to sign up. Join the BL smash steam group chat around an hour to 30 minutes beforehand so the tourney organizer can take attendance and set up easier. You must be able to join the steam chat or pm the tourney organizer at least after every match to communicate wins and losses for tournaments where participants cannot fill in their own matches. Try to play until you are out of the tourney or win if you can.

To host, make an account at challonge.com and click start a tournament. Either rip the rules from a previous tournament or make your own. Specify the console and date and try to give a few days notice and set it for a weekend afternoon for the best output. Then, contact me so I can put the tournament in the OP. When it gets close to starting harass all the competitors on steam until they confirm they will join or are dropping. Once it begins the tournament runs itself except for the occasional rule breakers and gray areas.

You can grab the sort of adapted to online BL rules if you want below

Anything else?
Actually yes

Useful links
http://smashboards.com/ - The premier forum for Smash discussion, contains a wealth of info for every game
http://challonge.com/ - Easy to use tournament bracket generator used by most BL tournaments we use this for like every tournament please use it its good
http://www.ssbwiki.com/ - The largest Smash-based wiki, ton of specific info
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blsmash - Our steam group. Join up for info about tournaments and ect.
http://www.smashladder.com/ - Hub for Melee and PM netplay
https://www.smashladder.com/guides/view/25jx/2015-06-18/melee-netplay-guide - Melee netplay setup guide
http://pastebin.com/XpAJ8rSr - Most recent official unofficial BL tournament rules list for Wii U
Suggest more and I will add them

Reigning KINGS OF SMASH
Melee - Ultimamax
Smash 4 - Sadcolor/Destroyerofblocks
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:34:10 AM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

saving
also this thread was created due to general consensus on the other smash thread that creamturkey died and we needed a new one

also x2 i definitely forgot some stuff so remind me please
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:08:46 AM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

Coolio, might I recommend a sort of Current News regarding anything Smash (DLC, Updates, Big tournaments, etc.) if you want, though it may be quite a feat to keep up.

Coolio, might I recommend a sort of Current News regarding anything Smash (DLC, Updates, Big tournaments, etc.) if you want, though it may be quite a feat to keep up.
i will probably do big things in the title and add a list of non bl tourneys that happen regularly in some tourney section but im sure most big things will already be known by the threads inhabitants through word of mouth

not like we have regular tourneys anyway though am i right

Cool new thread.
I am so done with the Roy players on for glory spamming counter and side b...

Cool new thread.
I am so done with the Roy players on for glory spamming counter and side b...
THAT'S THE ONLY WAY TO PLAY ROY brother

ROY SIDE B SPAM ALL DAY ER'Y DAY

i had melee and then my brother exchanged it at gamestop for his own filthy needs

Okay but.

Don't we already have one of these?

I play smash 64 btw. If anyone wants to netplay just gimme a PM.

Okay but.

Don't we already have one of these?
creamturkey was last active on may 2! he's been lost to time or something so at the least we can have someone like destroyerofblocks who is super into the smash to update the topic, and now this one isn't just limited to ssb4 discussion although that didn't stop people before from doing so

creamturkey was last active on may 2! he's been lost to time or something so at the least we can have someone like destroyerofblocks who is super into the smash to update the topic, and now this one isn't just limited to ssb4 discussion although that didn't stop people before from doing so
I SAW THAT stuff LOL

I SAW THAT stuff LOL
ya well i thought it was a bit rude to say that sometimes he doesn't read but you got me!

So I started getting good at G&W in Project M and Sm4sh; needless to say, RN-Jesus has become my Lord and savior.

So I started getting good at G&W in Project M and Sm4sh; needless to say, RN-Jesus has become my Lord and savior.
peach and i agree with that statement

edit- will you include a compendium of friendcodes and network ids in the OP, dob?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:21:32 AM by Julius The 1st »