Poll

After you've tried the new reference frame import feature, do you think it should be enabled by default?

Yes
No

Author Topic: [Blender] New DTS plugin  (Read 132870 times)

This is a reminder that the repository linked in the OP is completely open source and accepts contributions. If you know anything about Python, Blender plugins or the DTS format, then please do. Some resources you can use are http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-3d/official/content/documentation/Artist%20Guide/Formats/dts_format.html as well as the TGE 1.5.1 source (contact me if you need it).

The DTS interface can now read and write shapes containing animations. This makes it feature-complete enough to import (to memory, not to Blender) and immediately export the player model back out to a new file, to the point where the only differences between the DTS files are:

00000002: 7C 00 (exporter version number)
00000054: 64 00
0003651A: 7A 00

And the only differences between the debug reports for the original and re-exported DTS files are:

***** m.dts.txt
smallest_size = 1.401298464324817e-43
smallest_detail_level = 0
***** M.DTS.PASS.DTS.TXT
smallest_size = 0.0
smallest_detail_level = 0

Before you get too excited: It can't import and export the animations in and out of Blender's animation pipeline yet. It can, however, import the static geometry from things like weapon models now!

Still, though. The DTS for this player was exported by the Blender plugin (as stated previously, not from the actual Blender scene, just from the data imported in the same pass):

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:19:00 AM by portify »

holy stuff this might finally give me a reason to use Blender over Milkshape once animations are supported

Node hierarchies and custom detail levels are starting to shape up. Collision works without manually editing the code for each model now! :cookieMonster:

(the Icosphere is in the collision-1 detail level)

Can now import the default jeep with detail levels and all

suddenly so much progress

well done.  I wish I could help.

So this just happened: I imported the default player model into Blender, moved one of the vertices of the head and exported it again.

Note: I'm sitting down and holding a printer. It looks just fine.
The exported model works just fine with the default DSQ animation files.

• Import -> Torque (.dts) -> m.dts
  • Modify some geometry
  • Export -> Torque (.dts) -> m.dts

• Have a strange looking player that works with the default animations
  • Notice how their face and decal work just fine
  • Realize that multiple materials per mesh, UV maps and IFL materials can now be imported and exported
  • Have fun

Somebody smashed my car too

can you make it automagically export .png materials?