Blockland Glass 4.2

Author Topic: Blockland Glass 4.2  (Read 294702 times)

just use the clear version of RTB bricks

just use the clear version of RTB bricks

Why?

I mean, I may see where you're coming from, but I don't think the idea of this is to just make it a carbon copy of RTB.

Why?

I mean, I may see where you're coming from, but I don't think the idea of this is to just make it a carbon copy of RTB.

well you can just use another brick styled thingy

-Snip-
I Redid your design a bit, I used the water asset, but everything else I made from scratch.

I made a Wine Glass

And I turned the word glass into glass, but I removed the reflection parts. I could put those back, but I just didn't think it looked right.

i don't like it
yeah thanks for your input sure helps matt out

-snip-
I like your design a lot, but I think that it might look even better if you did a few things to it. The main thing being is that it should apply the rule of the thirds concept a bit more. I've made some boxes to try to illustrate my point a bit.

current: red, suggested: blue
The glass logo is going to set the main guide for the box so that it will amount to 4.5 boxes. If the logo size were to be increased, it would roughly work out to 1 third for logo, 2 for Blockland and 1 for Glass which I think would look quite nice. It isn't exact science getting it all to work out like that, but i think it is a good trick to incorporate.

I like your design a lot, but I think that it might look even better if you did a few things to it. The main thing being is that it should apply the rule of the thirds concept a bit more. I've made some boxes to try to illustrate my point a bit.

-snip-
current: red, suggested: blue
The glass logo is going to set the main guide for the box so that it will amount to 4.5 boxes. If the logo size were to be increased, it would roughly work out to 1 third for logo, 2 for Blockland and 1 for Glass which I think would look quite nice. It isn't exact science getting it all to work out like that, but i think it is a good trick to incorporate.

I was gonna do a recommendation by editing it on my own but forget THAT. I'm not paying $29 for a loving font.

Primary point of the design was to move away from the 2 cliché ideas connected to the name.

- The first being "Blockland" and related logos/imagery having something to do with blocks/bricks. It is by far the most obvious route the take when naming something with in Blockland and then subsequently signing a logo for it but it was a rule I set myself before starting to try and exercise some creativity. I'm not condemning the idea of using blocks or bricks in Blockland related projects at all! But in my personal approach, I avoided it :p

- The second was "Glass". Basically going down the window/material route. To just go and just make something shiny/lower opacity felt a bit lazy and cliché. It's been done 100s of times not only within the Blockland echo system but ALSO in the outer design world.

Again not condemning either route but in this specific case, I felt as like moving away from these would be best. The name Glass doesn't have the best history behind it. Distancing it from that history and producing new recognisable imagery for it is the best course of action.

Thanks man, appreciate it.
I'm acutely aware of what the rule of thirds is. The rule of thirds, golden ratio rule, eye line focus, hierarchical scale rule, and so many other rules is what you're taught in design as a comfortable and reliable toolset. But "rule" is a misleading part of each of them. Apply them if necessary, needed, or applicable, but never force. Forcing rules can do as much damage as good.

In the suggested case you've given, doing that would force the typography to be stretched and distorted from it's intended balanced design. And from a hierarchy perspective, the glass and liquid becomes unbalanced and looks too large comparatively to the "BLOCKLAND GLASS".

The original composition does follow other rules of its own, though. For example, the glass has been balanced to it is in fact 2/3rds full.

And just a really basic fundamental, the typography as a group is centrally aligned to the glass.

Also @Master Matthew, people gotta earn money for that kinda thing fam. It's big bizz B)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:14:21 PM by Jam_Jar »

Also @Master Matthew, people gotta earn money for that kinda thing fam. It's big bizz B)
I'm still not payin $29 for a font I'm only going to use once.

Which font is it?

Then don't.

-snip-
I can see what you mean by not going for the thirds route. The sizes don't work out proportionally. It was difficult drawing up a mental image of how it would work out so I was mainly suggesting things to try to see if it would look better, sorry if I sounded patronizing. The detailed explanation was rather for the benefit of Matt, since I liked his stuff, but they didn't quite fit the purpose of web design like yours did so some tips would do him good.

You should definitely find a monospaced font and line up the letters in "Blockland" and "Glass".