Author Topic: The SuperKart Gamemode  (Read 51619 times)

-snip-

It's really, really not.  It just requires a basic understanding of how to properly control a plane.  And also never crashing lest the checkpoint-induced fake difficulty screw you over.

The jungle map isn't actually that hard it's just a bit jarring to go from karts that control pretty well to a plane that controls completely different. The real issue is the checkpoints screwing you over when you try to reset, but that's being worked on. There are some layout issues with areohead though and I would resolve that it's course gimmicks (flying through trees) begins a little too fast. Maybe the trees should be delegated just to the one section and not be right at the start as they're a little ruthless.

Maybe the trees should be delegated just to the one section and not be right at the start as they're a little ruthless.

The trees are actually fairly easy to avoid if you're a good pilot, and if you can't, it's always possible to fly over them and avoid the issue entirely.  It's just a matter of if you're able to fly through them, you can get up to much faster speeds and thus complete laps faster.

The trees are actually fairly easy to avoid if you're a good pilot, and if you can't, it's always possible to fly over them and avoid the issue entirely.  It's just a matter of if you're able to fly through them, you can get up to much faster speeds and thus complete laps faster.
I would just prefer if you got some time beforehand to get used to the plane controls again given that it's the only plane map. Some simple turns and straightaways. That way when you have to deal with the trees it's a nice difficulty ramp up instead of being a constant course element the entire way through. It also makes the trees more unique, and more thought can be put into their placement if they are delegated to one specific area. This also serves to make the course itself more memorable and exciting; it feels like a journey that ramps up with its own obstacles at each section.

Also, while the superkarts actual speed is fine the lapped design of the courses is unfortunately a little boring. Each course seems to overstay it's welcome quite a bit. I'm not too sure what the cause of it is but something should be done to help with the overall flow of the races. The biggest offender of this was the (very impressive build wise) snow track. The courses just feel like they drag on a bit as there's not really much that's very challenging. Racing games (specifically the cartoony kart racing games this is trying to evoke) use powerups to help break up the flow of the track, but I'm not too sure that's a solution as those racing games also offer things to compliment those as a design element, which this gamemode lacks such as areas of courses that slow you down or speed you up.

As it is if you get into first place and know what you're doing then there's really not that much stopping you from winning, much like the original speedkart. This can be compared to Trackmania, but Trackmania is built around time trial based gameplay that demands perfection with quick resets to keep the game flowing, with no collisions on other players cars and simple point to point races.

Superkart seems to be deliberately aping a kart racer, but unfortunately doesn't bring much to the table besides the cool kart customisation, well built tracks (although built around a rather barebones design) and a original soundtrack. To be fair, that's already better than speedkart has ever been, so as a sequel to that, it's definitely an improvement.
Perhaps it is my own fault for thinking this would be anything else and getting my hopes up. It's worth considering how many of the negatives I listed can also be found in the speedkart gamemode, too. As it stands I would probably rather play superkart because as long as someone finishes the race then you progress as opposed to speedkart where people can just sit around until they run out of time, holding everyone up.

Edit: sorry if this doesn't read great. I just wanted to keep adding onto this post with stuff that reflects my time with the gamemode so it's kind of ramble.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:21:33 AM by Megaguy2 »

speaking of which, how is that other superplane map coming along magus?
It was finished weeks ago.
Currently waiting on the new checkpoints to put it into the gamemode.

damn it filipe it's been exactly one month

So, Alphadin, any progress in the past three months? I've heard you've been making a lot of progress.

nice bump actually we were getting close to the 2-month limit

So, Alphadin, any progress in the past three months? I've heard you've been making a lot of progress.
You know that this entire statement is a lie...

You know that this entire statement is a lie...
So this is dead? At least it got like two days of popularity.

I want to leave this message about a few things, there have been some complications and sadly Alphadin can't continue working on the gamemode, so I want to suggest that if anyone here is willing to fix a few things for the gamemode, such as:

- Better respawning
- More time to wait before the race begins
- Better loading between tracks
- Most issues reported by the community

We also have plans for new features.

I want to leave this message about a few things, there have been some complications and sadly Alphadin can't continue working on the gamemode, so I want to suggest that if anyone here is willing to fix a few things for the gamemode, such as:

- Better respawning
- More time to wait before the race begins
- Better loading between tracks
- Most issues reported by the community

We also have plans for new features.
-Anthonyrules has a better respawning fix (He is away right now and I can't find the link for the download he linked me at some point) Nvm Anthony just cleared it out for me that you mean better respawning in a different way
-anyone could easily have more waiting time before the track begins
-Not sure if there could be better loading between tracks
-I can check through here to see what's needed to be fixed reported by the community.

Also, I have some fixes that you didn't list that I could link in a little while.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:41:43 PM by Meta_KnightX »

-Anthonyrules has a better respawning fix (He is away right now and I can't find the link for the download he linked me at some point) Nvm Anthony just cleared it out for me that you mean better respawning in a different way
-anyone could easily have more waiting time before the track begins
-Not sure if there could be better loading between tracks
-I can check through here to see what's needed to be fixed reported by the community.

Also, I have some fixes that you didn't list that I could link in a little while.
I've been meaning to direct what I said to actual coders who can take a look into it.

I've been meaning to direct what I said to actual coders who can take a look into it.
Okay!

Question, do we dump all the zips in the add-on folder?