Author Topic: Nvidia GTX 1080, apparently "twice as fast" as GTX 980 and Titan X  (Read 7613 times)

Polygon article

The GTX 1080 will be on shelves May 27 and costs $699. Nvidia's current best-in-class graphics card, the Titan X retails for about $1,000. It is less powerful and much less efficient than the GTX 1080, according to a graph shown during Nvidia's reveal event last night.

The GTX 1070 will buy Titan X-level performance for $449. It launches June 10. The prices are for boards directly from Nvidia and select partners. Other manufacturers will offer custom boards starting at $599 and $349, Nvidia said.

As a point of reference, the GTX 1080 is faster than two GTX 980 cards running together. Nvidia's live stream last night boasted all kinds of numbers for their new technology, based off the Pascal architecture, which to date has been used only in high-end supercomputers.

If that's legit, this one's actually a game changer.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:19:19 AM by Kingdaro »

The GTX 1080 will be on shelves May 27 and costs $699. Nvidia's current best-in-class graphics card, the Titan X retails for about $1,000. It is less powerful and much less efficient than the GTX 1080, according to a graph shown during Nvidia's reveal event last night.
holy stuff

$450 for a titan-level card is tempting...

There was debate in an unrelated Skype chat tonight, where somebody ultimately tried to conclude that the upgrade wouldn't be worth it, and that the AMD Fury X performs better (there's only 100 SP GLOPS difference which is minuscule honestly).

I'm still getting the 1080, replacing my 980. It's 20% stronger than the 980Ti and well above all the previous Titan models. Besides, AMD doesn't get access to PhysX or any of the GameWorks features, and I've just had some bad experiences with AMD cards in the past.

dang i just bought a 970 for 400 dollars

I will wait for evga models prob a month or 2 longer. Up front you can only buy nvidia reference models. I use water, but most people still hate those blower coolers lol.

Also cross fingers for a itx 1080. I can get a little 1070 in my mini computer, but i want that ddr5x lol. I prefer to never use ddr5 on any comp ever again.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:29:11 AM by Bisjac »

Now they just need to make a 1080ti!

Would buy if I had the money, going to build a new pc in the summer though. I'll probably get a gtx 950 or gtx 970.

The LTT coverage mentioned that the card that was demoed at the press event was running at over 2000Mhz core clock

The LTT coverage mentioned that the card that was demoed at the press event was running at over 2000Mhz core clock
Jesus christ

okay this is amazing
i want a ~$300 card that's twice as fast as a 970 tho :( i wonder how well the cheaper version will do