Author Topic: No Man's Sky Official Megathread  (Read 102109 times)

Don't sweat it, man. Apology accepted. I didn't mean to sound too harsh and I'm sorry if I came off that way, but game design and philosophy is one of those things that I tend to be more outspoken about. Me and my friends had been keeping a close eye on the development because it sounded interesting, and I really felt for the developers when the leak happened. I thought about what I'd do if I were in their shoes, considering I've been thinking of taking up hobbyist game development for awhile now and I don't think I could have handled it any better than they did. I genuinely think blaming them for the leak isn't the right mindset to have.

I touched on the reasoning before but I wanna elaborate, with the amount of playtesting required to iron out all the bugs, there's always that unfortunate risk that your playtesters might betray your trust and leak your game. It's made even worse because the game has become so prolific and overhyped. I watched a couple interviews with the development team and how over-ambitious they were, it really sucks to see this happen to what looked like something they tried to pour their heart and soul into, and if the game ends up being a complete flop that just makes it even more tragic.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:19:33 AM by IkeTheGeneric »

Oh yeah, I definitely don't dislike the devs. I think they've taken up something insanely ambitious (though I'm highly skeptical of how it will work out) and space-sims are one of my favorite types of games. I just feel like it's gonna be nearly impossible for them to live up to the hype.

I think it looks pretty shallow, and I honestly think they might be going with the "mysterious" atmosphere to their game because they are hoping players will see it as more than it is. I've been following it for nearly 2 years now and I honestly didn't even realize it was gonna be singleplayer only until maybe 12 months ago. I haven't been keeping totally up to date with it though, but that's just my perspective as someone who has been casually watching it.

yo uh
i'm just gonna drink and visit some cool ass planets is that ok
ok
dont drink and space travel dude thats dangerous

anyways im REALLY hoping the game is going to be good because I need something to get me off this long ass streak of boredom and not having any idea what games to play.

dont drink and space travel dude thats dangerous

anyways im REALLY hoping the game is going to be good because I need something to get me off this long ass streak of boredom and not having any idea what games to play.
We'll be able to build bases now yay :DD

I honestly didn't even realize it was gonna be singleplayer only until maybe 12 months ago.

It's been really confusing to figure out if they're going to add a multiplayer element or not. Sean Murray was saying something about you could find other people, but it would just be incredibly rare. Now I hear that they scrapped that and are planning some sort of "No Man's Sky Online" after release, as a sort of second gamemode or game option.

I don't know if anyone touched on this yet so don't murder me if they have
With the additional fact of multiple physical copies of the game on PS4 leaking, and the various gameplays on youtube now the state of the game (before their "day 1 patch") the game looks very bland. They talked about thousands of randomly generated space ships/weapons/creatures, but I feel like a lot of their stuff is very similar (especially their monoliths, space stations, and basically all of the structures). I feel like I've seen it all in their game after only watching roughly four people play it for about three hours each. Not to mention the guy who got his hands on the first leaked copy claims to have reached the center of the universe in under 30 hours. From what I've seen I find that claim to be believable.

Edit: I also forgot to mention they've delayed it about three times. This game is overhyped

This is not to say I don't want the game, I just don't want to pay 60 dollars on a half baked game. If it was maybe 30 dollars I think it would be more reasonable.

Edit: Apparently they have a large list of features that are coming and my comment is for now irrelevant
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:08:54 PM by Maya67 »

I really hate how in every sci-fi game, an alien planet is just one huge biome, instead of being mixed like Earth.

I'm predicting the review scores to be between 6.5-7.5, though I hope I'm wrong. I definitely won't be pre-ordering but if the reviews are good on day 1 I'll buy it.  I also really hope that it has complex shipwork, though I have a very strong suspicion it's gonna be preset ships to choose from. I really love Elite: Dangerous, but that's cause it has such a complex and dynamic module system.

The dude reached the core early because he used a glitch to progress quickly. That's not to say it wasn't an issue, but it won't be relevant in the fixed game.

Also, I'm curious what "The Three Paths" you get to choose from at the start of the game are. I'm guessing a starter ship loadout, like "Explore, Trade, Fight" or maybe a difficulty setting. That'd be really cool if it would change the generation variable or something so that it doesn't
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:02:03 PM by McZealot »

-snip-
Or maybe we'll have 3 Factions to choose from? Who knows, it could be anything. I pre ordered it so maybe I'll give a review of my own once I play it myself.

wtf are they planning with multiplayer. "It's a singleplayer game, but in really rare occasions that less than 1 in 100 players will ever experience, we'll warp in another player with the enemy fleet. They'll briefly see an enemy that movies differently before realizing--it's another player!"

like holy crap what a terrible idea. are these devs high

it's going to be the biggest trainwreck of the year, it looks just like another space survival game which has huge ambitions.
you will rarely see other players because of how large the universe is, meaning the game might aswell be singleplayer.
it honestly sounds like a game you would only play for 1 to 2 hours, get bored, alt tab and forget that it's running.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:35:24 PM by Refticus »

Also, pure speculation, but it looks like these planets will have extremely weak changes in elevations. That means no deep oceans or high mountains, just rocky steep hills at best. That's pretty lame. Rodina has an absolutely breathtaking sense of scale, and it's an experimental indie game. Jump from a mountain on an alien planet and you could literally fall for miles.

edit: It used to show "multiplayer" on the Steam page, but it looks like they removed it. This is why this game will be a trainwreck. The devs are still falling over themselves even this close to release

i-i think it is singleplayer though. i'm pretty sure at least. is the whole galaxy gonna be the same for everyone, cause they are acting like you can name planets and animals to be discovered by other people. but that'd be pretty lame if i'm exploring the galaxy and encounter the rare purple space dragon, only to see that CoD4Life71 saw it on day 1 and named it after his dead grandad or something.

i think they are planning to add multiplayer, or at least thats what they say. but it would be like, they subtley change your singleplayer instance into a multiplayer instance. so are they gonna have some DRM or something to stop you from cheating? is it even cheating if you are doing it on what should be singleplayer

i swear these devs are tripping balls

good opinion bro
i love these people who post like "thats just your opinion". yeah its obviously my opinion. what the hell did you think it was?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:10:24 PM by McZealot »

I think their idea is that it's a massively multiplayer online game, but the sense of scale of the universe is so large, and since the worlds are static every time, players will hardly ever interact with each other, making it some sort of psuedo-single player game

of course they've also back tracked on a lotta stuff. They even said at one point that "Altering the color of a single creature may change the water levels of the planet", which, if you understand even the core fundamentals of development, is neigh impossible to simulate with code given how small and seemingly inexperienced the developement team is and how laughably stupid that correlation between those two elements are

Long story short, TRUST NO ONE. BELIEVE NO WORDS.

Long story short, TRUST NO ONE. BELIEVE NO WORDS.

But then the real question is do i not trust you?

No, don't trust me. You don't know what my intentions or beliefs are about this game. For all you know, I could be shilling the game and using corporate mind control to make you dole out $60 for a sub-par FPS sandbox game. The point is that the internet is a dark frontier of untrustworthy garbage, only trust your own instinct and intuition before buying into things

No, don't trust me. You don't know what my intentions or beliefs are about this game. For all you know, I could be shilling the game and using corporate mind control to make you dole out $60 for a sub-par FPS sandbox game. The point is that the internet is a dark frontier of untrustworthy garbage, only trust your own instinct and intuition before buying into things
but then if you're telling me not to trust you, then i have to trust you because thats what you dont want me to do