9 (15.5%)
legos
5 (8.6%)
maps/terrain with legos replacing random objects
8 (13.8%)
other (post! please do!)
8 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: supersuit goes mad and thinks he can make blockland 2 [maps & terrain vs legos?]  (Read 14333 times)

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking specifically about the Technic bricks.
Yeah, lego's logo isn't patented but is trademarked. Technic bricks are, and they're not trademarked. Minifigures are both.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:02:51 AM by SuperSuit12 »

read the drama. nvm
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:16:46 AM by Warzone »

The hate this guy is getting for just wanting to make a game is ridiculous. Can you just let him try this?
Hate? Skepticism, and it's perfectly understandable. I'm kind of skeptical of my own ability, but I'm going to try. There's, like, one post that's actual hate.

Note: I program mostly by figuring out a problem in my head and then finding the functions to do it. Example: For the brick connection system, each model will have empties on it defining a connection point (if all goes well) and each brick will detect nearby compatible connectors and connect to them, hopefully. I have a lot of theory figured out, I just have to figure out what the math would be.
read the drama. nvm
I still have no idea what I did wrong there.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:19:16 AM by SuperSuit12 »

dude seriously like you're not going to make blockland 2 as your first game

i highly highly advise you actually try making a much simpler game in unity to understand how much work you're really putting yourself through. you most likely will not be able to use any preexisting engine out there (except maybe torque 3d who knows) to develop BL2 since most engines are geared towards making fully-complete non-sandbox-building games and will have a lot of extra junk in there that would only slow the game down if built on it.

one thing you're totally missing about the power of blockland is its modding system: its incredibly easy to code for and gives users a lot of power. you won't get that kind of system if you build off unity or unreal or anything really except TQ3D (or a custom engine) as far as i know.

I can try. I'm going to at least make something where you can build with legos. I'm going to make it at some point.

Nobody has answered the important question that was my main reason for posting this thread.

new thing: progress has started on the basic building system and it's going well. Right now I have a ball that you can roll around and attatch things to, labelled "core" that will pick up anything named "brick" and make it basically part of the ball. This is exactly what I want, as this is testing lone bricks connecting to a structure. Eventually Core will become a baseplate or an invisible object and you won't even notice it, really. It's just a parent for all the bricks in a structure and handles the whole structure's physics.

yeah it's totally relevant to legos I'm not recreating katamari damacy (though that will be a thing you could do fairly easily I think with some modification).

pics pls
if you have any
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:49:04 PM by Hawt »

Good luck, you'll definitely need it.

pics pls
if you have any
Erm... I'd have to post a GIF. As I said, I'm just starting to work on the base part of it. So far things to seem to be going well.
I just need to make the snapping-to-position part as well as the parenting thing. Right now it's a testing thing, sorta Katamari Damacy-esque. When it gets within a certain distance and you press space, the brick connects to the sphere, but it doesn't move. Once I can get the snapping to position stuff, I just need to make bricks run the script instead of the core. It won't be hard once I get snapping stuff done.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:31:39 PM by SuperSuit12 »

In for buildable vehicles

only in your dreams, perhaps.

wait why are you attaching bricks to a sphere i dont see how that pertains towards a grid-based building structure

you're going to have severe misalignment issues or something if this is how you plan to make building on terrain work.

wait why are you attaching bricks to a sphere i dont see how that pertains towards a grid-based building structure

you're going to have severe misalignment issues or something if this is how you plan to make building on terrain work.
It's a test of the reparenting system. They're going to be repositioned to the brick you're placing them on before being reparented in the final game.

It's a test of the reparenting system. They're going to be repositioned to the brick you're placing them on before being reparented in the final game.
Hahahaha.