Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232248 times)

This is pretty cool, keep it up!

Could brick tessellation be implemented in the future as a toggleable graphics option?
Along side with higher poly count rounded objects?
What about the actual brick textures themselves, would you plan on changing them to something different?

EDIT:
Is there anyway the community can assist/help in the efforts of this projects? There's a lot of dedicated users that I'd imagine would love pitching in.
A toggleable option for 3D brick tessellation - especially for the brick top and bottom textures - should be quite easy to add.
And of course, any help or assistance is welcome. I do have one other person helping me, but he's seems fairly new to the engine and modeling, so I'm mostly working by myself right now. One thing I could really use help with right now is deciding on the game's theme / style, and what the avatars should look like.

oh god
he's creating skynet

On the topic of creating a site or a blog, I recommend using something like MyBB, or one of.the various modern forum styles and just use the announcements page for all the blogging. You can keep that as the only forum open and have people reply to it to give feedback until the game gets an official release.
lol - you don't have to worry about the bots, just try not to make them too upset...
I have set up a couple websites / forums in the past, and have a host in mind. MyBB or phpBB would probably be good options for the forum. It might be best to post updates here for awhile (like Rotondo did for the Forgettable Dungeon topic), and then eventually move to an official site and forum.

Update: I was held up by an issue with rendering and transparency, in which transparent / opaque colors would appear behind other opaque colors. This was a frustrating visual glitch which also threatened to over-complicate the brick system, but it's finally fixed. This will also allow for adding textures like brick prints and possibly other materials later on.

yea I've noticed in BL there's a graphics glitch where opaque bricks will appear invisible behind glass and other opaque bricks so I'm guessing that's not gonna be a thing here?

I nutted

This is amazing

Uh one question that's serious unlike my last one: What kind of gamemodes do you plan on including in the base game, and what kind of "add-ons" will be included in the base game as well?

yea I've noticed in BL there's a graphics glitch where opaque bricks will appear invisible behind glass and other opaque bricks so I'm guessing that's not gonna be a thing here?
badspot's actually addressed this before, it's a p common issue in games
http://badspot.us/Transparency-Sorting-Errors.html

Wew lad

I'd love to see some built in fire mechanics or something (that only spreads for a bit, unlike firemod)

damn, this is actually looking pretty good! something i'd like to ask though, and sorry if you're getting slugged with these kinds of questions or if you've already been asked this and i didn't notice, but how many building styles/scale are you looking to support with this by default? sorry for not really conveying myself too well from tiredness, but i'm talking scales from stuff as small as miniature city building to major projects like full-scale cities, since i know creators on blockland more often than not have to go out and find brick packs for those sorts of things- or am i just getting ahead of myself and asking these kinds of questions too early?

either way, from what i've managed to get to know about you over the years and memories of your pretty well done maps, i've got pretty good faith in you being able to pull through with this project, looks like you've made some pretty good progress in it's development too

And you'll be able to attach things like wheels and other bricks to builds to create your own vehicles.
Sold

Only recommendation I have after that is maybe use an open source engine so you don't have to pay royalties if you want to sell the game.
Something like Godot, which is under the MIT license. It's also my favorite game engine simply due to how it's designed, but that's just preference.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:53:54 PM by /dev/sr0 »

Sold

Only recommendation I have after that is maybe use an open source engine so you don't have to pay royalties if you want to sell the game.
Something like Godot, which is under the MIT license. It's also my favorite game engine simply due to how it's designed, but that's just preference.
its not trivial to switch engines like that. hes got enough work done so far that switching would set back progress for months, assuming he isnt doing this full time or even half time

its not trivial to switch engines like that. hes got enough work done so far that switching would set back progress for months, assuming he isnt doing this full time or even half time
Yeah, I know. I was just throwing an idea out there.

It shouldn't be an issue any longer. Normally, if you have separate objects in the scene, transparency isn't too much of an issue except in rare occasions. But, with bricks being combined together, that's when it becomes more of an issue. I think Blockland also does that on purpose for performance reasons; Unity offers that option as well. But yeah, I'm sure transparency issues in general are quite common.

Uh one question that's serious unlike my last one: What kind of gamemodes do you plan on including in the base game, and what kind of "add-ons" will be included in the base game as well?
I haven't gotten that far just yet, but there will be a creative mode (like Blockland offers), and options for setting up custom gamemodes in-game. Default add-ons will probably include various themed objects like medieval / modern bricks, items, weapons, tools, vehicles, textures, etc.

Wew lad

I'd love to see some built in fire mechanics or something (that only spreads for a bit, unlike firemod)
That't be cool and certainly do-able.

damn, this is actually looking pretty good! something i'd like to ask though, and sorry if you're getting slugged with these kinds of questions or if you've already been asked this and i didn't notice, but how many building styles/scale are you looking to support with this by default? sorry for not really conveying myself too well from tiredness, but i'm talking scales from stuff as small as miniature city building to major projects like full-scale cities, since i know creators on blockland more often than not have to go out and find brick packs for those sorts of things- or am i just getting ahead of myself and asking these kinds of questions too early?

either way, from what i've managed to get to know about you over the years and memories of your pretty well done maps, i've got pretty good faith in you being able to pull through with this project, looks like you've made some pretty good progress in it's development too
Thanks, and I have considered how to support things like miniature buildings or large-scale builds like cities. It should be very easy to allow for rescaling bricks and modifying the brick placement grid, such as for small-scaled builds.

Sold

That would be great. But yeah, switching to another engine would set me back by months at least. I don't mind paying for the engine - I'm allowed to earn up to 100k (or 200k depending on the package I go with) without paying anything, and then from there I can either purchase the engine or do a subscription server to receive further patches and new features for the engine. However, even if I only purchase the engine without a subscription, I can still receive patches for major fixes.

oh btw another quick suggestion

pls try to make the game have a print system like bl does, that'd be wicked

oh btw another quick suggestion

pls try to make the game have a print system like bl does, that'd be wicked
make it so you can import images in real time rather than having to package them as addons