Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232171 times)

if you're designing a base weapons system please make it as modular as possible. please please pleeaaase for the sake of modability make it as modular as possible

I only bring this up because Unity's default weapon assets aren't that intuitive and it would suck if items were designed one-dimensionally like with torque's engine. Things like non-restrictive state systems that actually work

if you're designing a base weapons system please make it as modular as possible. please please pleeaaase for the sake of modability make it as modular as possible

I only bring this up because Unity's default weapon assets aren't that intuitive and it would suck if items were designed one-dimensionally like with torque's engine. Things like non-restrictive state systems that actually work

Don't worry, We haven't planned anything concrete about the game down the line, but we do want it to be as modular and easily mod-able and addon-able as possible.
PhantOS, do you have any suggestions for what such a system would consist of?

I think a system *kinda* like how unturned does it would be cool

You can get a base gun, but there's a bunch of slots for other mods, like sights / magazines / grips / whatever

Although that could be a thing, keep in mind this is suppose to be a completely sandbox game, that sounds like more of a survival "Find pieces to mod your weapon" thing, although having modular weapons as something made after the initial release would be something that i would be interested in

Don't worry, We haven't planned anything concrete about the game down the line, but we do want it to be as modular and easily mod-able and addon-able as possible.
PhantOS, do you have any suggestions for what such a system would consist of?
my suggestion would be to create a custom class for all mounted images, handle the mounting as as simply as possible (functions like keeping the model at the location, level of detail options, functions that handle resizing and translation relative to the mountpoing)

from there a weapon system would be a subclass of the image class, all you'd need to add would be a state system that would allow the weapon's various states to be cycled through (as an event/nose tree system) for easier modding. in blockland, the weapon's emitters and animations are hard locked into the state system, which is super weird and hard to work with. in unity you can make it more optional, like new modders can make simple guns that just do activate-fire-reload but more skilled modders can just hook the various functions for more controllability and complexity

it's hard to explain but uh, just make two systems: easy mode (states) and hard mode (various callbacks and main functions that can be hooked)

During the holiday season we were forced to enter a period of suspended development, like being dead in the water, we're slowly drifting forward, but not activally developing right now. That is about to change in the next few days, hopefully. Please view the blog in our discord for more information.

Bump! Haven't posted anything here lately, but just wanted to mention a few announcements:

Reorganized Dev Team
In the beginning of development I was working entirely by myself, but eventually started working with TennoHack / Yin Yang to help split the workload. Recently, two new members were added as well: Longor to help with scripting and specifically the brick system, and Ecto to help with project management and research.

New Discord - https://discord.gg/KTcGPn5
Due to the changes to the dev team and restructuring of the project, a new Discord server has been launched. Everyone is welcome to join the server to stay updated with the project, talk to developers and to discuss anything related to the game; off-topic discussion such as related to Blockland, games in general, etc. is also welcome in the offtopic channel. I'll be more active on Discord as well if you want to reach me; you can join here:

Progress Update
As of late, Tenno has been making progress with the brick system, but it's going to be completely redone to take things like performance, culling, the placement grid, etc. into account.

I've been held up with an issue with the avatar, trying to get overlapping player animations to work for the player model - similar to how the Blockland minifig works. This has been a challenge and required a lot of experimentation / research to figure out, but finally got it working and will try to post another video update soon. Another player model from the community is being used for the model, and new animations are being set up for it. Also, the infinite floor grid script now has simplified collision, and fully supports rigidbody collisions (i.e. for brick physics).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:35:14 PM by [GSF]Ghost »

Not sure how I feel about the new player model. Looks like it's trying too hard to be a blockhead, while trying to not be a blockhead. Maybe it's just years of playing Blockland, but the arms and legs make me uncomfortable.

Who knows, though. It could grow on me.

It's not the final design, just an idea for what the new style could look like.