Author Topic: Charlottesville protests thread  (Read 52724 times)

Can't we all just agree that we're fussing over nothing? Shouldn't...oh...i don't know...living our lives be more important than rioting protesting about this kind of stuff?

so we should take down statues of pretty much everybody famous before 1870

Are you being facetious? It's hard telling whether or not you're upset by his insinuation enough to say something ridiculous, or if you're mocking him by (poorly) trying to poke holes in his logic.

should I pull out my treasure trove of lefties praising each of them after they die (the last three at least)

Considering you're on two strikes now, I don't really think the effort is worth it, I don't trust your judgement here. So far you've pigeonholed the entire left side of the political spectrum into being fanboys of karl marx and che guevara and claimed that you know of about a million figures that are comparable to hussein.

Regardless of what you think of Robert E. Lee as a person, at this point he's a symbol and figurehead for white supremacy. That alone is enough for his statue to be removed, and it explains why most of the people protesting the removal of the statue are white supremacists.

Can't we all just agree that we're fussing over nothing? Shouldn't...oh...i don't know...living our lives be more important than rioting protesting about this kind of stuff?
God shut up. No one cares that you don't care.

Post-war, Robert E. Lee actually began to support greater rights and equality. He urged his town and the south to follow law and denounced violent attacks against black people.

you heard'em guys, start taking apart the internment camps, we've got textbooks after all
it's a museum, not a monument. stop grasping at so many straws. they don't keep ww2-era Riddler glorification statues and posters around in the middle of germany. they put them in a museum so its obviously around as an educational experience for people who want to loving see what it was like back when people were stuffheads

i personally think that any statue of someone who owned human beings intentionally should be torn down.
why are you putting "owning people" in quotations? you know he re-enslaved a group of slaves who were supposed to be free by their contract but instead decided to renew the contract and continue owning them. and later when the slaves complained that they were supposed to be free, he turned them into the police and had like 10 of them shipped somewhere else

he literally owned people. he was a slave owner. there's no justification for it at all. if he singlehandedly donated a billion dollars to all the poor people in the world he'd still be a stupid stuffhead for owning slaves. what's 'weak' is that you're attempting to justify all this bullstuff simply because there are other (non-existant) liberal fan favorites that are somehow worse than him.
Not to mention he was the general of a traitorous army lol. The guy was never arrested or killed either.

Post-war, Robert E. Lee actually began to support greater rights and equality. He urged his town and the south to follow law and denounced violent attacks against black people.
What a great man, I might erect a statue tomorrow in my yard.

Victor will always consider the other side "traiterous"

luckily the good guys win most of the time

(?) Victor will remember this.

Regardless of what you think of Robert E. Lee as a person, at this point he's a symbol and figurehead for white supremacy. That alone is enough for his statue to be removed, and it explains why most of the people protesting the removal of the statue are white supremacists.
God shut up. No one cares that you don't care.
But the point is, if everyone didn't care then it (this conflict) wouldn't have mattered in the first place. If you're still pent up about a guy who did some terrible things way before your conception, then maybe you should take a second to question your ability to rationalize what matters vs what doesn't instead of washing it off as "OoooOooOoooh no. White people idolize this guy because of slavery yatta yatta etc". You recognizing this problem IS the problem.

it's a figure of speech

Exaggerating numbers to make them look bigger than they actually are is really annoying. It doesn't matter if you have a figure of speech, three examples is far enough removed from the millions range that it makes the figure of speech completely disingenuous. Besides, I'm not too sure if PhantOS himself is even a 'fanboy' of the three examples you listed, so I'm not too sure what the point was beyond setting up a strawman to criticize because you seem to be dodging actually picking apart the dude's argument.

But that's besides the point, this argument means literally nothing. Neither side respects each other enough to concede or reach an agreement to disagree. At the end of the day, that girl was still murdered and you lot are squabbling like a bunch of loons. Honestly, forget off about the stupid statues, nobody should reasonably care enough about this to play devil's advocate for any side of a protest that results in the death of innocent people.

if MLK suddenly started being worshipped openly and loudly by black supremacist groups would that warrant his removal too

"Treason is a charge invented by winners as an excuse for hanging the losers." -Benjamin Franklin, 1776

if MLK suddenly started being worshipped openly and loudly by black supremacist groups would that warrant his removal too
why would black supremacists worship a guy who wanted blacks and whites to get along together and acknowledge their equality

if MLK kidnapped white people and tortured them in their basement then that'd be a great reason for his statue to be removed. but he didn't so your weak brown townogy isnt valid

Here's my two cents: stuffting on people for trying to act reasonable during the flavor of the week political argument kinda squares you into the "Unbearable starfish" territory.