Author Topic: Charlottesville protests thread  (Read 54015 times)

the history erasing excuse is bullstuff considering textbooks and web archives exist.

the 'there are worse people than him and you aren't complaining' excuse is also bullstuff because there are people worse than him and im also complaining about them too

stop making all these half assed excuses and just be transparent and say 'hey i'm okay with a slave owner with no redeeming qualities being kept around as a glorified statue'

slavery was probably the most commonplace institution in world history until about 150 years ago, and even then there are dozens of countries that still have it. getting upset because a guy owned slaves in the loving 1860s is like me getting disgusted because none of the founding fathers brushed their teeth or bathed regularly. is it disgusting? obviously. was it extremely common in society at the time? of course. the main reason lee was fighting for the confederacy was because he felt allegiance to virginia. if virginia stayed for some reason there's a very strong chance he would've fought for the union. i'm guessing in your eyes that would make it acceptable right? i mean, it's only bad to like slavery if your from the south right? if you're from the north you get a pass.
like it or not the civil war was an important part of american history and the people involved in it are remembered for their contributions. why do you get your panties in a twist over a statue if you're completely fine with him being in history books? how is it different? it's just a statue memorializing an important figure in southern history. he's not loving Riddler. comparing anyone to Riddler is just a lazy excuse to make somebody look bad. there are plenty of real criticisms of lee but comparing him to literally Riddler makes people sound like a loving child.

who gives a stuff how commonplace it is? it used to be commonplace to marry loving 5 year olds to 50 year old rich men and that doesn't make it any more or less disgusting. it doesn't matter how normal or legal it was to own, rape and kill human beings as if they were your own property. given that, it's completely irrelevent and bringing it up is useless

robert e lee's statue is being moved to a museum where people will be educated on how he contributed to virginia's government and the confederacy. that's perfectly fine. however, being someone whose great grandmother was a slave, i don't think its conceivably possible to justify having a glorified memorial of someone who owned slaves, regardless of what ends were justified by whatever bullstuff means they pulled off, out in the open of a city for people the admire and further glorify

its a loving insult. if you respect democracy you'll realize that people voted for it to be moved into a museum

he's not loving Riddler
you're right. pablo escobar isn't ted bundy. however, you don't see any statues being built for either of them, besides the fact that pablo escobar contributed greatly to the development of the police force in columbia, and ted bundy contributed to the murder horror genre

they're both stuffheads. you can't justify glorifying them in any way
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:12:04 AM by PhantOS »

I don't claim he's an amazing person. I'm trying to show people that a situation can have many facets.

Somewhat agreeable, as democracy requires an educated populace in order to make good decisions and not be misled as easily.

He even began developing schools for blacks.

yeah a democracy can't exist when you subjectively invalidate people's voting rights

I can literally say this and mean it almost literally, do you think Rome was built in a day? Your viewpoints back then would be considered radical even to the progressive.

imagine waking up in the morning and deciding to defend white supremacists🤔

jesuschrist
So do any of those white supremacy groups actually go around physically assaulting the people you care about? Define your version of "hurt". If getting called a few names is all it takes to completely break your friends then that's on them. They obviously haven't learned how to ignore people, and views of those people in general.

I can literally say this and mean it almost literally, do you think Rome was built in a day? Your viewpoints back then would be considered radical even to the progressive.
yeah i understand that. rome didnt let women or slaves vote. if i were a woman or gaul i'd probably be more against letting a julius caesar memorial be built in italy or something

yeah i understand that. rome didnt let women or slaves vote. if i were a woman or gaul i'd probably be more against letting a julius caesar memorial be built in italy or something

they had the right idea

Where is this

That has nothing to do with what I just said, nice.

literally no one is defending the protestors you dense forgetwad

That has nothing to do with what I just said, nice.
what exactly are you saying? at least they did something good? it was a different time? society was still advancing?

So do any of those white supremacy groups actually go around physically assaulting the people you care about? Define your version of "hurt". If getting called a few names is all it takes to completely break your friends then that's on them. They obviously haven't learned how to ignore people, and views of those people in general.
I care about non-white people, women, and LGBT people, all of which are targets of white supremacist political action.

The peak of privilege is being able to ignore white supremacists because they don't threaten your livelihood.

so robert e lee is suddenly no longer a white supremacist

no i'm pretty sure we like it to see people getting hit by cars

oh yeah? but did you know robert e lee respected women?