12 (13%)
Land of Dran
40 (43.5%)
Something else "block" related
15 (16.3%)
Block Party
25 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Land of Dran  (Read 32754 times)

few questions
1. how does fps compare to blockland at 1k, 10k, and 100k bricks at equal resolutions
2. how do you plan on avoiding a takedown notice due to use of copyrighted assets
3. If you're implementing a key system (Which it at least looks like you have), how does it differ from Blockland's rather insecure system?

few questions
1. how does fps compare to blockland at 1k, 10k, and 100k bricks at equal resolutions
I haven't done much optimization yet, but I have done tests.
At the moment with full terrain+lighting+sprites also being rendered, you can stare directly at 50k close-range bricks and still get ~30fps on my machine. This doesn't really account for the fact that in the end game, bricks out of your field of view or out of range will not be rendered. Even without further true graphical optimizations, playing on maps with a million bricks might not be an issue if only the closest 50k were rendered at any given time.

Edit: I can render the entire golden gate bridge build right next to me (nearly 50k bricks) at about 70fps without terrain and lights.

2. how do you plan on avoiding a takedown notice due to use of copyrighted assets
I can't imagine actually using Blockland's assets in a finished product I give to the public. The only assets I'm using now are the brick stud textures as placeholders and those are trivial to replace. (Unless you count the builds themselves, but I don't intend on distributing them with my game anyway, if you want to import Blockland saves it's trivial to do so yourself)
3. If you're implementing a key system (Which it at least looks like you have), how does it differ from Blockland's rather insecure system?
I haven't even started to think about this.
In fact, I'm not even sure I know how Blockland does this.
I'd probably just have people log in when they start up the game, send the salted+hashed password to my server which compares it to the stored salted hash and then return whether or not the person is logged in.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:33:42 PM by DrenDran »

the REAL question is what your minifigures will look like 🤔

the REAL question is what your minifigures will look like 🤔
sausages

forget im digging this
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:42:53 AM by Potatoh »

So yeah, the synchronization of physics objects wasn't going so well. So I decided to go with snapshot interpolation instead.
I tried ripping the physics engine out of the client but now I can't seem to get anything to work.
It would seem I basically need to rewrite the server and client
This might take a day or two at least before I can do a public test.

do a public test.

wait so your gonna have a public demo thing

jokes aside i hope this does take off, it'd be good to see some healthy competition.

i'm assuming this one's aesthetic will be more similar to blockland's?

wait so your gonna have a public demo thing
I was going to, but then I decided I needed to basically rewrite half the code to support better physics object interpolation client-side. I'm trying to nix the physics engine entirely from the client and have it only on the server. *Hopefully* I might have a demo ready tomorrow evening.

jokes aside i hope this does take off, it'd be good to see some healthy competition.

i'm assuming this one's aesthetic will be more similar to blockland's?
Ay, I'm hoping to keep the aesthetic quite similar. I can't copy any assets over directly (for obvious legal reasons) and I may make improvements here and there but it'll end up similar.
I also want to place an emphasis on compatibility, I've already made an exporter/converter for Blockland builds (as seen in the OP) and converting certain add-ons from Torquescript to LUA (like emitters for example) is actually quite trivial and possibly automatable.

I owned blockland.org for a few years lol

This is my first time hearing this. Anyone else?

That's awesome DDran, looking forward to seeing some more updates man.