12 (13%)
Land of Dran
40 (43.5%)
Something else "block" related
15 (16.3%)
Block Party
25 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Land of Dran  (Read 32442 times)

woah dude super neat revolver model
oh stuff boyo he caught you using his revolvo ocelot model1!!
run run dran!!

So is the intent to eventually sell this or is it a hobby project?

Just saw my local friend play Dren of Dran. Totally recommend this. 10/10

woah dude super neat revolver model
thanks I made it myself ;)))))))))))))))
So is the intent to eventually sell this or is it a hobby project?
I mean, selling a game would be awesome, though I've never done so before and so it'd obviously result in a lot of new problems. Not to mention all the stuff I'd have to take out of the game to avoid getting sued.

As for progress, there hasn't been any these past two weeks. Part of the problem (as tends to always happen eventually with any of my projects) is that I'd not really sure where to move from here.
A few options are:
  • Finding/implementing some algorithm to combine brick physics objects server side because the server itself lags after the first 20k bricks or so.
  • Client sided movement prediction and general network optimizations that require me to simulate lag on my end for testing purposes
  • A rewrite of the server sided scripting interface for add-ons to make it more object oriented and user-friendly

All of these are vague and difficult so it's hard to find the motivation to start to tackle them.
I suppose I can try to add client sided movement prediction and that together with the rendering optimizations I made two weeks ago, you should all have a far smoother experience.

I feel bad, it's been 3 weeks since I really worked on this, and a month since the last video.
I feel like I need to add in something really good to be worth doing another public test/video.
I may revamp the scripting system and create a master server. That way, by the weekend you'll be able to host your own public servers and make some add-ons.

Hey there, so not only did I get a master server working, I'm working on revamping the server side implementation of Lua.
Before, objects were simply handled as integers with the integers representing the object's ID.
Now, they're actually stored as metatables.

So instead of:
Code: [Select]
myObject = createPhysicsObject(type,x,y,z)
setPhysicsObjectShapeName(myObject,"Name goes here")
setPhysicsObjectVelocity(myObject,x,y,z)
removePhysicsObject(myObject)
setPhysicsObjectPosition(getPhysicsObject(0),getPhysicsObjectPosition(getPhysicsObject(1)))
You'll have:
Code: [Select]
myObject = PhysicsObject.create(type,x,y,z)
myObject:setShapeName("Name goes here")
myObject:setVelocity(x,y,z)
myObject:destroy()
getPhysicsObject(0):setPosition(getPhysicsObject(1):getPosition())

I'll add the option to disable vSync but I sort of doubt that's the real issue. What GPU do you have?