Author Topic: [HISTORIC] Boy Scouts to admit girls into their ranks  (Read 10134 times)

i don't see the point of conjoining them. just seems like everyone wants diversity for no reason
no, we want girls to have the same opportunities as boys (and vice versa)
instead of overhauling an entire organization just so that it can be a clone of a different one, why not just... i dunno... use the one you already have?

i don't understand why this is a difficult concept for you

if they merged the groups under the same leadership but kept the distinction between boy scouts and girl scouts I wouldn't mind but they're basically abolishing the "boy" distinction and keeping the girl one

granted as a white dude it does get slightly annoying to see half of the available scholarships being black or woman only stuff, but i guess i understand the context behind it so im not against it
if they merged the groups under the same leadership but kept the distinction between boy scouts and girl scouts I wouldn't mind but they're basically abolishing the "boy" distinction and keeping the girl one
why the forget do you care? honestly i can't see a single reason why you should complain apart from that you just like the sound of your own voice

I agree. The "Girl Scouts" should either be opened to males as well (though being a member isn't really as prestigious as the Boy Scouts and IMO I don't think it teaches the same level of values), or the organizations should be combined.

The point is also kind of moot, because they're too separate organizations with a similar name. It's a bit like if a boys-only school started allowing girls, and then you point at a totally unrelated girls-only school and say "well they aren't allowing boys in!" It's just not relevant.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:22:00 PM by TristanLuigi »

i don't see the point of conjoining them. just seems like everyone wants diversity for no reason
and those damned dope-smoking nutjobs just wanted diversity for no reason when they desegregated schools too huh

why keep a distinction
and the reason for the second is that the girl scouts are a totally separate organization so the boy scouts deciding to let girls in has no bearing on what they do. i agree they should let boys in.

why does that distinction matter? who cares if some club is opening itself for anyone? why is that in any way a bad thing?

instead of overhauling an entire organization just so that it can be a clone of a different one, why not just... i dunno... use the one you already have?

why can't you just improve the girl scouts instead so they don't need the option of going to the boy scouts?

and those damned dope-smoking nutjobs just wanted diversity for no reason when they desegregated schools too huh

because jim crow is the same thing as an all boys group. got it

all boys
all whites
hmm.

why can't you just improve the girl scouts instead so they don't need the option of going to the boy scouts?
because they're separate, unrelated organizations. they don't teach the same schools.
and this is starting to sound a lot like "separate but equal" don't you think?

all boys
all whites
hmm.

all girls
all whites
hmm.

and this is starting to sound a lot like "separate but equal" don't you think?

"two different groups well that's like racism l o l"

all girls
all whites
hmm.
stop trying to pull this "BUT THE GIRL SCOUTS" stuff
they're not related
i am not defending the girl scouts

"two different groups well that's like racism l o l"
yes racism IS like loveism
glad you noticed!

they're both 1. discriminating against people for 2. reasons entirely out of their control
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:25:31 PM by TristanLuigi »

it's not really about 'diversity.' that implies that the only reason people want these things is as some patronizing try at making power minorities feel included by letting them into your club, and that's not the full picture. the point is that there's fundamentally no reason for these exclusivity rules to exist other than as a traditional relic of a time where we institutionally reinforced the idea that there are excessive and burdensome differences that justify the divides. if we no longer believe those things to be true, then there's no reason for the rules to remain. the action isn't just symbolic or political, it's a legitimate end result of our society changing the way it looks at its participants in relation to their gender.

also having more people coughing up their parent's big bucks to fund you isn't bad either

stop trying to pull this "BUT THE GIRL SCOUTS" stuff
they're not related
i am not defending the girl scouts

maybe if you didn't have to weirdly imply that i'm tribal i wouldn't have to say stuff like that

how's it different? girls are getting an obviously inferior experience to boys based on historical presumptions of the differences between lovees

maybe if you didn't have to weirdly imply that i'm tribal i wouldn't have to say stuff like that
i'm implying that you're loveist
which is comparable to, but not the same thing, as racism

i'm implying that you're loveist

yes i think girls should be in the girl scouts damn i really hate those loving broads