Bricktopia (Big Update, top of OP; public Discord link)

Author Topic: Bricktopia (Big Update, top of OP; public Discord link)  (Read 11224 times)

the name kinda sucks tbh
block - land
brick - topia

land is a place
block is giving it a specified characteristic
brick is a characteristic/specification of topia
you're looking for any reason to rip on this poor guy arn't you

linguistically the name makes sense but that doesn't mean it rolls off the tongue the same way as blockland does

go to the steam store
see how many successful games don't have a name that rolls off the tongue
that doesn't dictate how good a game is and if you should rip on it or not because of it

you're looking for any reason to rip on this poor guy arn't you
i'm saying the name sounds bad you lug. i said nothing about the game but the visuals are very good and i wish him the best.
that being said, the name sucks richard.

that doesn't dictate how good a game is and if you should rip on it or not because of it
nobody said this go away

The name is something I like and that's what matters. If you don't like it i respect your opinion, but i would prefer if people kept things positive. I don't mind critiques or negative opinions as long as it's not directly insulting, so if someone says something like, and this is already a perfect example,
the name kinda sucks tbh
I'm going to see "kinda" and "tbh" as well as a lack of any direct insults or judgements at me or the project as a whole, and i will read that comment as a personal opinion that isn't suppose to be insulting, it's just what he thinks personally and he's sharing his thoughts here, just as I intended. Just because an opinion is bad doesn't mean the person is trying to be mean.

That being said, I do seriously appreciate when people come to my defense when someone is being unnecessarily harsh, Verification, for example. That was really nice of you and i really appreciate your support, despite the misunderstanding

So Nonnel, do you have any ideas that you think sound better? While i really like the current name, and I think it works, I am open to changing it if i really like an idea. Just note i'll be treading lightly until both DrenDren and [ASF]Ghost name their projects as well, so there's no possible accidental overlap or close similarities. That's the thing about being this early into a solo development process, I can change whatever i want at a whim.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:00:59 PM by Yin Yang »

When I read the name it reminded me of this game:

(Which was actually a pretty good game but I can't find anywhere to buy it anymore, RIP)

Anyway I'm not sure if 3 different blockland inspired projects are a good or bad thing, may the best man game win I guess.

i really think names that contain words like "brick" or "block" are sort of bland common names nowadays unless it was named that way a long time ago. you should probably go for other synonyms or make a completely different name that titles the genre: "Minecraft" for example. but nonetheless, if you do tend to use the common terms, at least think of other words that sound unique but yet remembering.

i thought of some decent names whilst saying so, but i don't really think they are good ones. feel free to ask me.

on another note, jesus christ, successors already after Ghost's project? this gon b good

well stuff. I googled the name before i decided anything, didn't find anything major like that.
also damn, that does NOT look like a lot of work went into it.
guess i have to change the name now, I'm open to suggestions.
i really think names that contain words like "brick" or "block" are sort of bland common names nowadays unless it was named that way a long time ago. you should probably go for other synonyms or make a completely different name that titles the genre: "Minecraft" for example. but nonetheless, if you do tend to use the common terms, at least think of other words that sound unique but yet remembering.
That is a good point, but I'm fresh out of ideas.
Anyway I'm not sure if 3 different blockland inspired projects are a good or bad thing, may the best man game win I guess.
Thanks I will
It's amazing! There isn't going to be any winning or loosing. The only way one of us is going to loose is if that person gives up or stops developing. This isn't a competition, I openly support the other two's projects and i hope you do as well!
jesus christ, successors already after Ghost's project? this gon b good
What do you mean by that? If your convinced that i'm going to be in compatition with Ghost and DrenDren then let me tell you right now that's not the case, I openly support Ghost and Dren and i hope their projects turn out amazing. I didn't do this because either of them were doing it, i only found out after i started that, oh stuff, there are like a million other people doing the same exact thing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:16:41 AM by Yin Yang »

There's at least 5.

Not counting the plenty that already died. (Project A, TOB, a few others)

What do you mean by that? If your convinced that i'm going to be in compatition with Ghost and DrenDren then let me tell you right now that's not the case, I openly support Ghost and Dren and i hope their projects turn out amazing. I didn't do this because either of them were doing it, i only found out after i started that, oh stuff, there are like a million other people doing the same exact thing.

successors aren't always competitors

you can still support a game and compete with it at the same time. besides, no, im not implying that

Rectangular Prism Planet