PUBG

Author Topic: PUBG  (Read 8153 times)

i mean the "why not" was built into the question, but ok?
because i wasn't far enough from the target to need that ranging
ok?

bring on the new 4km map!
anyone try it out with the temporary pass?

bring on the new 4km map!
anyone try it out with the temporary pass?

I was trying to the night it came out but the server issues made me close the game and forget about it, probably gonna try it out again soon.

the new map has bits i like and bits i dont.

cover placement: the lamest fights in pubg are the ones where you're at one tree and there's another guy at another tree and the first guy to move loses. this jungle map's trees are placed in the exact same way as erangel's, and that's pretty stuff IMO. i could actually maneuver a bit if the forest were denser. the towns also suffer from erangelisms, with long open stretches of land between forest and building and from building to building. more cover allows for more movement which allows for more interesting gunplay. less cover is more of the same old, "i cant move and he cant move and whoever has a grenade wins, and if no one has a grenade the first one to move loses" gameplay.

bridges: this team knows like, 2 map design gimmicks and they're both bridges. they are littered with cover on the sides to allow people to camp them as choke points, and on this map there's like 5 or 6 bridges. the bridges were one of the lamest parts of erangel since they made getting from one island to another a huge pain in the ass and they've not really done much to correct that.

furniture: the new buildings dont have furniture. this is actually really good, since it lets you actually move inside of buildings, your framerate is higher, and you can see all the loot at a glance. it isnt as pretty, but for a competitive game i'll take better gameplay over looks. however, it'd be an extrememly pubg dev thing to do to throw away one of this map's positive unique elements.

midgame gameplay: this seems to be much better. the smaller map lends itself to shorter games and the higher player density means more gunfights more often. miramar, and erangel to a lesser extent, has really slow and boring midgames where there'd be 20-40 players left after the opening brawl and basically nothing would happen as everyone who was left focused on looting for the final circles. not so, on this map.

I ponied up the $30 CAD for this game. Went through 2 matches, and it was damn near unplayable. It was constantly using up 100% of my ram and swapping to disk (despite the fact that I have more than the recommended amount), the game lagged for a solid 10-15 seconds straight the moment I spawned, making my survival completely up to blind luck, and the game would regularly freeze for small 1-2 second intervals for completely unknown reasons despite being on the minimum settings.

Played 2 hours - 5 min, got a refund.

It has improved slightly since then but not that much. Why would I pay $30 for this when I can go play Fortnite for literally free and get a much better experience?
I agree, also you're paying 30 dollars for an Arma 3 mod made standalone. This game can kiss a richard.

I agree, also you're paying 30 dollars for an Arma 3 mod made standalone. This game can kiss a richard.
much more developed than an arma 3 mod. 
anyways there's still plenty of people, myself included who've gotten far, far more than $30 of enjoyment out of this game.

the new map has bits i like and bits i dont.

cover placement: the lamest fights in pubg are the ones where you're at one tree and there's another guy at another tree and the first guy to move loses. this jungle map's trees are placed in the exact same way as erangel's, and that's pretty stuff IMO. i could actually maneuver a bit if the forest were denser. the towns also suffer from erangelisms, with long open stretches of land between forest and building and from building to building. more cover allows for more movement which allows for more interesting gunplay. less cover is more of the same old, "i cant move and he cant move and whoever has a grenade wins, and if no one has a grenade the first one to move loses" gameplay.

bridges: this team knows like, 2 map design gimmicks and they're both bridges. they are littered with cover on the sides to allow people to camp them as choke points, and on this map there's like 5 or 6 bridges. the bridges were one of the lamest parts of erangel since they made getting from one island to another a huge pain in the ass and they've not really done much to correct that.

furniture: the new buildings dont have furniture. this is actually really good, since it lets you actually move inside of buildings, your framerate is higher, and you can see all the loot at a glance. it isnt as pretty, but for a competitive game i'll take better gameplay over looks. however, it'd be an extrememly pubg dev thing to do to throw away one of this map's positive unique elements.

midgame gameplay: this seems to be much better. the smaller map lends itself to shorter games and the higher player density means more gunfights more often. miramar, and erangel to a lesser extent, has really slow and boring midgames where there'd be 20-40 players left after the opening brawl and basically nothing would happen as everyone who was left focused on looting for the final circles. not so, on this map.

Great review, and I also want more cover density.
Preferably, across ALL maps - theme fitting.  i.e. desert map could have sand dunes, more (and larger) cacti, more rubble to hide behind.

Great review, and I also want more cover density.
Preferably, across ALL maps - theme fitting.  i.e. desert map could have sand dunes, more (and larger) cacti, more rubble to hide behind.
IMO, miramar has some pretty sweet cover in most of the map. the whole thing is covered in deep ridges and little defilades to take cover behind. miramar final circles are only very rarely open fields like a lot of erangel circles. the problems arise when you're stuck in one of the maps several enormous valleys and people can look down on you, in which case you have basically no recourse but to lay prone and not move behind what cover you can find, if any.

if they gave erangel the miramar treatment and just like, dug out a ton of little dips and hills just everywhere, i think it'd be a much better map. there are just way too many grassy fields and hills where the final circles leave like, 2 trees and a rock for cover.

the first guy to move loses
Sounds like you play in third person?
In third person, yeah, the other guy is gonna see you move as soon as you do.
But in first person, the only way for him to see you moving is if he also exposed himself. I've pushed people hiding behind trees plenty of times.

But in first person, the only way for him to see you moving is if he also exposed himself. I've pushed people hiding behind trees plenty of times.
True enough.  I only play 1st.

I've played the mobile version a lil lately and I kinda like it for what it is, so I thought I'd try the real game. at first I wasn't sure but idk if I don't like it I can refund it so

how do i make this game run good

in first person, its pretty easy to hard peek around the tree which doesnt change much. it's just an extra step. first guy to focus in on the guy at the tree across from his wins, and if that guy moves he loses. barring people being bad at aiming (which, admittedly is a lot of people), that problem is mitigated by adding more cover, closer together. so it's two very similar problems solved by the same thing, if you wanna split hairs.

I installed it overnight and tried it today, I like it. not very good at it. but I like it
although yeah the performance isn't perfect. like usually it's fine, but for some reason navigating menus (and especially opening the inventory in-game) makes it stutter quite a bit for a second

turn off inventory character render

turn off inventory character render
that helped. still bad at the game tho. I've probably played like 15 games by now and I only have 3 kills