which is better

iphones
18 (25.7%)
samsung phones
35 (50%)
neither
17 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: iphones vs samsung phones - phone debate  (Read 5758 times)

in terms functionality both iOS and Android are pretty on par.

um

iPhone lacks tons of stuff such as the ability to download, unzip, edit and move files. It's also missing expandable storage, a headphone jack, the ability to share files with other devices via bluetooth, NFC, easy third party app install, the ability to easily disable or uninstall 'default' apps, connection to multiple bluetooth devices, and if someone logs in with a different apple id and installs an app on your phone, you need their password to remove it!

"pretty on par" my axe.
iPhones lack the most basic functionalities that all computers and smartphones possess
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:20:15 PM by Planr »

I've only had iPhones so far but I'm almost certainly moving on to another brand next.

the "androids have bad cameras" meme is hilarious because its totally relatable

i have never had problems with my camera
what's loving weird though is the pictures it takes are 4k??? but my phones resolution is 720p and the images look like they've been put through some filter like waifu2x or something

(from the properties of the image)

this image isn't altered or stretched at all, just cropped from the full image

Camera sensors are basically layed out like this:

This is called a bayer filter or mosaic.
Now, if you take a close look you may notice that it's not exactly trivial to see how you can get a standard RGB pixel out of this. That's where something called a Demosaicing algorithm comes into play. It translates the values on the filter into RGB values.
Now, while most good demosaicing algorithms will give the same QUALITY of image, these algorithms don't all give the same RESOLUTION picture at the end.

It's also natural for a company to try to upsell its camera as much as physically possible. And what's the best way to do this? Resolution of the camera.
Usually all people know about is the resolution. (Maybe they'll know about "wide angle" or similar terms, but they assume consumers have very little overall knowledge).

And hence, the camera will try to maximize the resolution that it gives (and hence upsell itself) by using a special kind of demosaicing algorithm that returns a larger image. You still get the same picture quality as if they used a less misleading demosaicing algorithm, it's just a little larger in resolution.

i still have my nokia phone with that 41 megapixel camera

its good for nice photos and such

Android and iPhone have equally good cameras, in the high end, the cameras on Android far out pace iPhone cameras.

The only reason the meme of "android cameras suck" exists is because sub 200 dollar Android phones usually have stuff cameras. At the 200 dollar point and up though, they're pretty much equal.

i don't *phone explodes* know about *files corrupt* you *battery shorts out* guys, but *screen shatters* android makes *dead pixels* the best phones

gotta love my Android tm brand phone

i don't *phone explodes* know about *files corrupt* you *battery shorts out* guys, but *screen shatters* android makes *dead pixels* the best phones

LOL

this is a high quality resolution stuffpost

literally all of this happens on iphone, especially screen shattering and the battery wearing out in less than a forgetin year

theres a reason why in school / public people always have broken iphones asking for a charger

literally all of this happens on iphone, especially screen shattering and the battery wearing out in less than a forgetin year

Idk, my iPhone 4S that I still have manages to hold a charge for a few days.
Ive never understood the battery issues people seem to always have.

not like iphones have blown up either. files corrupting? i betcha you get that dumb icloud message saying your phone is full of capacity. screen shattering? dumb thots with iphones have shattered screens? my ipod touch had a dead pixel too. every beta apple user whom thinks this nonsense is outright ignorant that the fact that android is on par or "better" than iphones.

"better" in quotation marks because yes most smartphones are better on paper. "better" depends on opinion too, not the specs aspect.

here's my reasoning why i really prefer a android phone (samsung has been getting better, but not my cup of tea):

• a phone that isn't planned to die
  • expandable storage
  • freedom of doing of what i want to do
  • generally cheaper than apple's $800-$1k phones
  • in most cases, HEADPHONE PORT

this is a generalization. there's way more to it, like with the freedom aspect, i could make my phone look like a iphone if i wanted to. hell, huawei (i use a honor 8) ships a very iphone-esque launcher but i chose not to use it because i prefer pixel launcher (i use ruthless launcher, still based on the pixel launcher). in the "phone that isn't planned to die" category, yes most apple phones die after a certain run. iOS updates on older devices tend to slow the users phone down on purpose to make it feel like their device is dying, thus making a trip to the apple store to be forgeted again in a year or two.

with the android side of that, you could literally install the latest version of android on basically anything. i'm not implying on if your device supports oreo, google went through hell and back to recode the whole nature of android so it can be ported to literally anything as long as the vendor supplies the kernel code and proprietary blobs. but with that said, android gets monthly security updates to ensure the user is protected from any problems, no matter if they're on 7.0 (nougat) or 8.0 (oreo) or 9.0 (P, in development.) the more crazier iphone people have a rebuttal to this: "HAHA YOU'RE ON THE OLD VERSION." in this case, it doesn't matter with android. most apps still run fine if you're on a "older" version of android like 7.0, since most phones have this version anyways. hell, most apps still run on 6.0. apple really doesn't like this and forces most people to move over to the new version of iOS or you won't get the latest apps.

yes, google removed their headphone port. yes, the note 8 (we're still on this? that phone is literally gone) exploded in people's pockets at one point. but for iphone users to literally bash android on literally everything is a wrong-doing on their end.

the only two things i will not bash about is that "iphone cameras are better" and wireless charging. the camera stuff is dependent on the phone's camera sensor, and the software to process the image. at this point in time, i cannot tell the difference between a iphone or android camera. they're all the same IMO (unless you wanna compare something from years ago to a iphone now.) and yes, wireless charging finally came to the iphone. do i care? no, only because with my experience, wireless charging was slow and stupid. you're better off charging off of the cord than wireless.

/rant. that's my two cents. i personally don't hate iphones, in fact i almost went to one because at&t (ew) was doing a deal on the SE. i just don't like them because really i know i'm getting a better mileage with a android device than i would with a iphone.