[NEWS] Oklahoma now leads nation with highest incarceration rate, study finds

Author Topic: [NEWS] Oklahoma now leads nation with highest incarceration rate, study finds  (Read 9592 times)

When ur Christian server gets overun by griefers and trolls

It's actually because public policy is engineered to send as many poor people towards prisons as possible due to the private prison industry doing HEAVY political lobbying in the area.  Especially the precedent of sending mentally ill people to prisons rather than institutions as a cost-saving measure.

A high incarceration rate doesn't mean we have better police, it means the bar for an 'imprisonable offense' has lowered, likely in tandem with the rising profits of a privatized prison industry. It also means that non-violent offenders are being given increasingly length sentences (see: mandatory minimums) as a method of funneling new meat into the prison factory. Here's something interesting: when determining parole (supervised release from prison), courts use testimony from officers and administrators at the prison regarding the inmate's behavior. This makes sense, until you realize that the prisons themselves~~the officers, administrators, and sadly, lobbyists~~benefit directly from keeping that jail at MAX capacity. They are being asked to willingly give up a small source of income, and subconsciously or overtly, provide more critical testimony of the client to ensure they remain in prison. This is why statistics show a significantly lower chance of parole from a private prison than a state-run prison.

Remember that "private prisons" aren't saving money, they're saving time and effort. The government still pays the guards, cafeteria workers, and administrators through stipends provided on a per-inmate basis. This means the full cost of the prison--and more, like lobbying and research costs--are coming from the public dollar. You are literally paying to be kept as a slave.
yeah kiddo i'm gonna need some sources on this one :/

I get that you're trying to troll, but are you really not disturbed that the state of Oklahoma--and by proxy the United States, the second largest democracy in the world--is imprisoning people at a rate higher than any other place in the world? Be it the increasingly fascistic Russian state or the literal Communist oligarchy in China, our prisons put them to shame. You think we commit twice as many crimes as people in South Africa? Oklahoma isn't even close to the most crime-ridden state, and America isn't even close to the most crime-ridden country. So why do you think the United States has the highest rate of incarceration in the world? Do you genuinely believe this wasteland is the most dangerous place on Earth? Or do you think there might be underlying problems in our political structure that create incentives to imprison those who struggle to 'contribute to society' due to their mental health or low income?

Like geeze, if you really don't know what to say about an issue you should probably just keep your mouth shut. Trying to weigh in with snide arrogance on something you don't understand rarely ends well.

I get that you're trying to troll, but are you really not disturbed that the state of Oklahoma--and by proxy the United States, the second largest democracy in the world--is imprisoning people at a rate higher than any other place in the world? Be it the increasingly fascistic Russian state or the literal Communist oligarchy in China, our prisons put them to shame. You think we commit twice as many crimes as people in South Africa? Oklahoma isn't even close to the most crime-ridden state, and America isn't even close to the most crime-ridden country. So why do you think the United States has the highest rate of incarceration in the world? Do you genuinely believe this wasteland is the most dangerous place on Earth? Or do you think there might be underlying problems in our political structure that create incentives to imprison those who struggle to 'contribute to society' due to their mental health or low income?

Like geeze, if you really don't know what to say about an issue you should probably just keep your mouth shut. Trying to weigh in with snide arrogance on something you don't understand rarely ends well.
i believe we should execute all prisoners for whatever crime they did

We need to legalize violent armed robbery so that nobody can profit off prisons

theyre in there for a reason child enthusiast
i have no sympathy

Yeah theres a lot of child enthusiasts in that state. Sucks they haven't even caught them all.

You're not supposed to ask questions that cannot be given a simple answer or straw-manned.

To the OKC brig with ye.

mczealot needs to learn brevity because i dont want to waste my precious time reading 7 paragraphs on why being a child enthusiast is ok

yeah kiddo i'm gonna need some sources on this one :/
I get the feeling you don't really want to know the answer--more to catch me in a lie--but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and cite these commonly affected facts. I can't spend all day citing everything I know, but a quick way to absorb a lot of data on the issue might to check out John Oliver's Prison episode, although I don't find him very funny. I'm sure there are good documentaries on the subject--just search 'private prison' on /r/documentaries. I'll cite three different highly reputable newspapers.

It seems the three main facts you're questioning are:
1. Private Prisons negatively affect the court system through lobbying.

How for-profit prisons have become the biggest lobby no one is talking about
The two largest for-profit prison companies in the United States – GEO and Corrections Corporation of America – and their associates have funneled more than $10 million to candidates since 1989 and have spent nearly $25 million on lobbying efforts. Meanwhile, these private companies have seen their revenue and market share soar. They now rake in a combined $3.3 billion in annual revenue and the private federal prison population more than doubled between 2000 and 2010, according to a report by the Justice Policy Institute

2. Private Prisons prevent inmates from being released through parole

Privately-Run Prisons Hold Inmates Longer, Study Finds
A study by Wisconsin School of Business assistant professor Anita Mukherjee found that inmates held in private prisons in Mississippi from 1996 to 2004 served 4% to 7% longer than inmates serving similar sentences in public prisons. [...] Mukherjee found that inmates in private prisons were 15% more likely to get an infraction. And it’s those violations that a parole board looks at when deciding whether to release an inmate early based on good behavior.

3. Private Prisons do not save money, leeching off the taxpayer

Private Prisons Found to Offer Little in Savings
Despite a state law stipulating that private prisons must create “cost savings,” the state’s own data indicate that inmates in private prisons can cost as much as $1,600 more per year, while many cost about the same as they do in state-run prisons. The research, by the Arizona Department of Corrections, also reveals a murky aspect of private prisons that helps them appear less expensive: They often house only relatively healthy inmates.

Remember, these aren't my opinions. This is the generally accepted theory to explain a series of facts.

mczealot needs to learn brevity
Unfortunately, there's no way to explain these issues with brevity--especially when you find your claims contested. You can either read it or decide you aren't interested.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:21:18 PM by McZealot »

correlation👏 does👏 not👏 equal👏 causation👏

I get the feeling you don't really want to know the answer--more to catch me in a lie--but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and cite these commonly affected facts. I can't spend all day citing everything I know, but a quick way to absorb a lot of data on the issue might to check out John Oliver's Prison episode, although I don't find him very funny. I'm sure there are good documentaries on the subject--just search 'private prison' on /r/documentaries. I'll cite three different highly reputable newspapers.

It seems the three main facts you're questioning are:
1. Private Prisons negatively affect the court system through lobbying.

How for-profit prisons have become the biggest lobby no one is talking about
2. Private Prisons prevent inmates from being released through parole

Privately-Run Prisons Hold Inmates Longer, Study Finds
3. Private Prisons do not save money, leeching off the taxpayer

Private Prisons Found to Offer Little in Savings
Remember, these aren't my opinions. This is the generally accepted theory to explain a series of facts.
Unfortunately, there's no way to explain these issues with brevity. You can either read it or decide you aren't interested.
mczealot needs to learn brevity because i dont want to waste my precious time reading 7 paragraphs on why being a child enthusiast is ok