Author Topic: Borderlands 3 Badass-thread [Gameplay reveal live now] [September 13th]  (Read 7400 times)

You guys are ragging on the billions of guns thing like the selling point is that they're all viable or unique or something, when in reality the whole thing is just "forget YEAH, LOOT BABY"

I mean yeah, but, how is that a good thing? You could amend this statement to fit any stuffty game.
"Not every combination of gun parts in fallout 4 is supposed to be viable. The whole thing is just forget YEAH, WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION BABY"
"Not every planet and alien in No Man's Sky is supposed to be unique or interesting. The whole thing is just forget YEAH, SPACE EXPLORATION BABY"

What is it about LOOT BABY that makes the game fun, especially if the loot is generated by a computer and in the majority of cases not actually very interesting?

the loot that the game is about isn't generated by a computer. loot that is generated by the computer is left on the ground and not looked at unless you are below the level cap.

there is not a single item in my inventory without flavor text (unique passive AKA a designed gun)

All figures shown on the weapon card are false. The Fibber has different effects depending on the barrel.

• The first barrel shoots pellets similar to a shotgun, traveling with low velocity. This barrel is indicated on the gun card by a x1 damage multiplier (x2 with the Redundant prefix).
  • The second barrel shoots bullets that shatter on impact or ricochets off walls, creating additional pellets. The bullets bounce off walls if they fail to hit anything and the additional pellets travel with the same velocity as normal bullets. This barrel is indicated by the gun card with the highest damage of the three barrels.
  • The third barrel shoots bullets in an arc. Bullets also ricochet if it hits walls. This version has a hidden 700% critical damage bonus that is not displayed on the weapon card. This barrel is indicated on the gun card by a low number for the gun damage.
Always slag element. Fires 3 slag projectiles with reduced damage per shot at a cost of one submachine gun ammo. High chance to slag. Deals no damage to enemies already spawned with slag elemental charge.
Reduced accuracy. Always spawns with blade accessory. Fires three slow-moving projectiles at the cost of one ammo.
Always elemental. Fires projectiles that sharply ascend before falling in an arc. After a certain distance bullets will split in two. User is healed 3% of damage dealt while holding this weapon. Bonus critical hit damage of 200% (150% in the pre-sequel), Inflicts elemental splash damage of 80%.
Pulls nearby enemies towards the wearer when its shield charge is depleted, then explodes in a huge nova. Increased damage and range, always shock element.
Deploys as a Tesla Grenade, then launches multiple smaller range, lower damage child Tesla grenades in an even distribution around the deployment point. Child grenades can stick to walls and other non-horizontal surfaces.

And let's not forget how critical classes are along with builds. I play Gaige and get Anarchy stacks, at 400-700 stacks I loose any accuracy and rely solely on ricochet and weapons viable for her (which most are in the table above) but get massive damage. My build is completely based on shock so I collect all types of shock damage.

Before this I played a 4 missile launcher Krieg build and had a Badaboom (launches 4 missiles) and a Sham shield (catches flying ammo and adds it to your inv) to receive infinite missile ammo and would quite literally use rocket jumps to get everywhere. It's amazingly fun, lv 72 builds is when the game gets crazy.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:17:00 PM by sleep »

also every gun except some legendaries can all have these variations that do different stuff.

means absolutely nothing. Emily Is Away Too also has 94% positive reviews. I don't know if you've ever been on the steam forums but none of these people's brains function at average capacity, they're one massive botnet that mirrors the conclusions of whatever highly influential 'gaming journalism' groups churn out, and we all know game journalists don't know anything about games, they're quite literally just mouthpieces for either the highest bidder or mainstream public opinion

if you look up real life reviews made by real life people, they all have the same criticisms. Borderland's gun play is incredibly poorly designed, but simultaneously it's biggest selling point, because the vast majority of consumers think that the more there is of something the better it is. hence 1 billion guns with the same stuffty shallow mechanics. there's absolutely no point in having all these crazy classes of guns and 15 levels of loot rarity and a thousand randomized stats if at the end of the day they all feel the same, look the same, sound the same, and do the same stuff: mediocre damage to bullet-sponge enemies. he's allowed to point that out

this is the inherent problem with procedural generation. having a small set of meticulously studied and well designed objects will always beat having thousands upon thousands of objects with attributes that are randomly generated by a computer within a limited set of boundaries. i'm sure there's a middle ground somewhere here that has the benefits of both theories but "one billion gunz!!!" is almost certainly the wrong direction. like, doesn't that stuff sound familiar? maybe "18 quintillion planetz!!!" rings a bell? reminder that there are 52,000 ways to customize a pipe pistol in fallout 4 lol

you are like, the least qualified person to say this lmfao
So thousands and thousands of reviews mean nothing? Lol okay dude whatever you say, you're certainly more informed than the rest of us who played the game for a ton of time. We're all wrong and you're right! Guess it's just highly acclaimed by hundreds of thousands of bots. We aren't TRUE gamers like you are. Shut the forget up lol

Sponging is prevalent in pretty much every looter to ever exist, it's part of the gameplay, not much you can do about that. Not everyone likes that, that's fine, I like it because it makes my efforts feel more rewarding personally. There's a difference between disliking a game and disliking a game but also stuffting on everyone else who likes it and saying they're wrong.

I don't need any 'qualification' to call you out on your bullstuff. You're the one who attempted to bully me via making memes of my face and insulting my physique, so who's the real starfish here? You're damaged goods.

the loot that the game is about isn't generated by a computer. loot that is generated by the computer is left on the ground and not looked at unless you are below the level cap.

there is not a single item in my inventory without flavor text (unique passive AKA a designed gun)

And let's not forget how critical classes are along with builds. I play Gaige and get Anarchy stacks, at 400-700 stacks I loose any accuracy and rely solely on ricochet and weapons viable for her (which most are in the table above) but get massive damage. My build is completely based on shock so I collect all types of shock damage.

Before this I played a 4 missile launcher Krieg build and had a Badaboom (launches 4 missiles) and a Sham shield (catches flying ammo and adds it to your inv) to receive infinite missile ammo and would quite literally use rocket jumps to get everywhere. It's amazingly fun, lv 72 builds is when the game gets crazy.
I miss the Sham, throwback to farming Bunker for a godroll of 94% absorption chance

the loot that the game is about isn't generated by a computer. loot that is generated by the computer is left on the ground and not looked at

But isn't that a bit silly lol? What's the point of it? What percentage of 1,000,000,000 guns in the next game are going to be left on the ground and ignored? Imagine if all the development cycles put into algorithms and systems for generating millions of guns and art for hundreds of parts for weapons that nobody is going to use was spent on making more unique/designed weapons.

I understand rewarding dedicated players, but the bulk of players are only going to exposed to these lame computer-made weapons. At any rate, a system that generates a desirable output less than like 10% of the time is a failure.

also every gun except some legendaries can all have these variations that do different stuff.

This is admittedly nowhere near as bad as I remembered, but how much does stuff like "-increased recoil -accuracy" actually mean in the long run? I'm sure this all amounts to millions of combinations of the base weapons but if you picked two out of the bunch how much would they actually differ from each other? At the end of the day it's still same stuff, different gun

So thousands and thousands of reviews mean nothing? Lol okay dude whatever you say, you're certainly more informed than the rest of us who played the game for a ton of time. We're all wrong and you're right! Guess it's just highly acclaimed by hundreds of thousands of bots. We aren't TRUE gamers like you are. Shut the forget up lol

God you're such a loving obnoxious moron lol, you seriously argue like a 15 year old. If you're so extremely insecure about people making memes of your face and physique that you're going to drag it around to every argument you get into, you probably shouldn't post images of your face and physique on an anonymous internet board while simultaneously being an unprovoked starfish to everyone you come across for years beforehand.

Anyways, nothing I said in that post involved me inflating my own authority on video games. Anyone on the planet can leave a steam review on a game. Quite frankly, anyone can be an IGN game journalist as well. There are very obvious conflicts of interest and a lack of objective standards in the game review industry. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that review systems are unreliable and exploitable, and that proper review of video games comes from an understanding of game design and brown townysis thereof, something 90% of true gamers or whatever aren't capable of. This is significantly more common with games that are extremely popular.

I'm not saying I'm well versed in brown townysis of game systems either or whatever the forget but at-least I'm trying to have a mature discussion about it lol idk

lot of hurt feels in this thread

Now I just think you're handicapped, these numbers are asinine and you not giving a forget to reach beyond lv 50 but write this amount of stuff about the game makes your opinions on it a joke, stop posting here
Games so loving bland and repetitive that I couldn't beat it.
im tempted to start a new borderlands run but i know very well that by the time i beat bunker i'll be falling the forget asleep from the absolutely mindnumbing lack of good design

I mean yeah, but, how is that a good thing? You could amend this statement to fit any stuffty game.
"Not every combination of gun parts in fallout 4 is supposed to be viable. The whole thing is just forget YEAH, WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION BABY"
"Not every planet and alien in No Man's Sky is supposed to be unique or interesting. The whole thing is just forget YEAH, SPACE EXPLORATION BABY"

What is it about LOOT BABY that makes the game fun, especially if the loot is generated by a computer and in the majority of cases not actually very interesting?

I think you're missing the other 70% of the game here.

I think you're missing the other 70% of the game here.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but this is the core feature. Like this is the design element that resides directly at the heart of the gameplay. If that only accounts for 30% of the game, that's also a problem lol

Jakobs weapons aren't elemental. A burst weapon fire weapon is different from a sniper in the sense that a sniper is for long range engagements and landing critical hits for large amounts of burst damage. A rocket launcher that bursts into mini acid grenades would shred armored enemies/hyperion, a rocket launcher would be good for enemies who aren't armored. The fact I need to explain this to you tells me you didn't play this game or are being stupid on purpose. The fact you don't see a difference between varying legendaries tells me you didn't play the game as well, because they're all different.
so ask yourself why they don't just make 50 predesigned weapons with all the right collection of synergy and usefulness and ditch the whole loving handicappedly bloated weapon randomization bullstuff that generates guns that actually aren't useful at all. there's like 13-15 niches that all of the borderlands weapons fit into based on how you use them in combat so there's no loving need to have more than 15 guns in the entire game.

your burst sniper and regular sniper are loving identical, i'm really loving sorry to break the obvious news to you. you look at the same enemy and hold your left click for the same amount of time for each one. if they made it so the burst sniper would launch enemies in the air with each bullet so you have to trace the enemy up into the air to land all hits then automatically it'd be a much better and unique gun. but no. just fires three loving bullets. or maybe if the sniper would slow down an enemy on hit so you could pepper them with higher DPS weapons (this would work very well if the sniper was slag too). but no. just a normal loving sniper that shoots a bullet.

you're basically explaining the obvious ass differences between all those cases i listed that i and everyone else know about and aren't actually brown townyzing that stuff deeper. you missed my whole point which is that apples and oranges are different fruits but they're both still loving fruits and you eat them the same. if you throw an apple and an orange at a loader bot okay the orange does 2x more damage because its citrusy and robots hate citrus. good. you only need one orange in your entire inventory, not a burst fire high aim orange that you throw like a goof whenever you reload and blows up in their face (a mechanic i actually like a lot) or a slow moving orange that splits into 3 tiny oranges in a set pattern that no enemies will ever be nice enough to arrange themselves into. you need just one type of orange. this is the same reason why pokemon is boring. you need a water type pokemon to beat a fire type gym leader. it doesn't matter how many 50-60 water type pokemon there are in your region, you only need loving one. so there's no reason to have 60.

compare borderlands to l4d2 or half life. l4d2 has like 9-12 different weapons in the entire game and still has almost the same amount of variety and unique gameplay as borderlands. its probably because making a million slightly unique anything isn't actually unique at all but the game's uniqueness comes from its few specifically well designed zombie types and utility items

And if you did play the game, you're seriously complaining about getting 150 hours out of it? And you paid what, at most 60 dollars for it? If a game doesn't entertain you for the rest of your life it's a bad game huh? I don't know about you but if I didn't like a game I would not spend that much time playing it. Maybe you're a masochist or something.
if borderlands 2 didnt have coop in it i'd have like 30 hours and never touch it again. its really the coop that saves borderlands from its disgustingly boring game loop.

If you hate a game you need to stop playing it, not go tell everyone who likes the game they're handicapped and criticize the game in fundamentally wrong ways. You sound like a prick.
how about this one: no
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:17:37 PM by PhantOS »

-snop-
Why do you have to come in every thread about something you dislike and spout how much you hate it and think it's factually bad? I'm genuinely curious.

Why do you have to come in every thread about something you dislike and spout how much you hate it and think it's factually bad? I'm genuinely curious.
because i can. if my opinions offend you that much than write a paragraph where you dislike and spout about how much you hate it and how its factually bad.

its not like im the only one expressing disinterest in borderlands in this thread
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:22:00 PM by PhantOS »

somehow im not surprised you would play anarchy mechromancer either. literally the worst possible build in the game too. if you had a braincell for every shot landed you'd definitely have like one braincell

because i can. if my opinions offend you that much than write a paragraph where you dislike and spout about how much you hate it and how its factually bad.

its not like im the only one expressing disinterest in borderlands in this thread
I'm not offended by your opinion, I'm not too much of a fan of Borderlands myself. But the fact that you go into pretty much every thread and talk about how you hate whatever that thread is about because it's you think it is factually bad is just a bit pretentious, you know?

I'm inclined to agree with you, but this is the core feature. Like this is the design element that resides directly at the heart of the gameplay. If that only accounts for 30% of the game, that's also a problem lol

Well if we're talking gameplay, then you also have to talk about classes, skills, optimized loadouts, raid bosses, etc. I don't think the randomized guns are the design element at the heart of the game.

Idk I just think its a weird thing to look into, when you consider the alternatives. Like, what would you do, if there wasn't random loot? A list of 100 or so guns you can get? Idk that's kind of boring. I like the crazy gun designs you can get. Sure some of them are stuff, but no one cares about the stuff ones. If every gun was good, none of them would stand out.