Author Topic: DF Succession game Fort CloisterCrush, strike the earth!  (Read 8200 times)

FORT "Insert name Here"

Fix.

Turtles are important.

Year 1, FALL (continuation)

While I was looking at the list of goods, my mason Lorbam came to me running and out of breath, and told me he desperately wanted Turtles. He had been doing a fine job lately so I obliged and asked the Liaison to bring lot of turtles. Lorbam, more then ecstatic, gave me a thousand thanks and went back up the main stair shaft to work on his architectural designs.

I asked for Limonite, a good type of Flux in the case that we would need to produce Steel. I also asked for several varieties of seeds so we will have more to plant each season.

While we were making arrangements, the Caravan packed up and prepared to leave. Asmel the carpenter bid them farewell and forwarned them to stay well away from the Giant Eagle.

The Liaison redirects my attention as he makes a short list of what the mountain home needs the most. I guess they really liked those meals and now they want more next time around.

Tired of seeing my mason waste our precious Bauxite, I forbade him from picking up any more bauxite in the first place. To my predecessors, if you ever find yourself needing Bauxite, you will need to Reclaim them first.

Some migrants arrived! Excellent, the fortress will become much more lively. They also arrived just up North of the fortress entrance, a good ways away from the Giant Eagle. They should be able to make it to the fortress safely.

One of them is an Ammo-less hunter. I immediately disabled his hunting tasks, as he'd be committing Self Delete against the wilderness. I will make him my first Military unit instead.

Other immigrants include:
A metalcrafter
2 Peasents
2 Soap makers
A Fisherdwarf
And a Glassmaker

There are no real useful dwarves out of the lot apart from the Hunter and the Metalcrafter. Fishing outside is too risky so the Fisherdwarf will be drafted. The two soap makers will have Furnace Operating/hauling tasks and I will draft the 2 peasants along with the Hunter, giving me a small crack squad of militants. The Glassmaker will be hauling for now, but I plan to train him in Weaponsmithing.

We're going to need all the militants we can muster, and some ammo. Fast. That giant eagle is just a few paces to the west of the fortress now, hovering ominously overhead.

If that wasn't enough to worry about, a single raccoon is stealing all our loot. An order to kill it on sight has been given out to the fortress, we will have no more of this petty thievery.

No sooner was I beginning to have the fortress back under control, winter came upon me.

My trusty scout made yet another map of the entire fortress and it's surroundings. He had it done even before I asked him to make one! If that's not efficiency then I don't know what is.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3232-cloistercrush

I'll be continuing my work until the end of winter. Back to farming.

Year 1, WINTER

There isn't enough hauling to do, allot of the newcommers are bored. So I decided to have them smoothing the fortress out, starting with the dining room.

I have a plan for that giant eagle, oh yes. Instead of risking my dwarves to confront it, I'll make use of some dwarven ingenuity and we'll hopefully be done with it.

Things were proceeding when this Thief was uncovered, probably to his horror, by the 4 militants who were just a few feet away down the slope. Despite this, the thief managed to keep one step ahead of the militants and escaped.

Another thief popped up and again, escaped alive. The forge room is finally complete, with magma flowing through the Bauxite Fortifications. The design makes it so the magma residents will never be able to reach the forges.

I have given the miners permission to begin prospecting for good metals. They set out a systematic pattern to cover a large amount of ground and hopefully hit some good metal.

In case you were wondering what I was planning to do with the Giant Eagle, well here's a small peak at my idea

While I was preoccupied, it seems a Naked Mole dog had decided to come take a stroll near our fortress entrance. The result was apparent.

Our miners dig away down in the lowest reachable level, so far they found more Gold, and then gold again, and the casual Adamantine along the shaft walls. Where in the world is copper or iron when you need it?

Finally, our Catapult is built, and ready to fire at that damned eagle only a few yards ahead. The catapult has an opening created for it to fire safely outside. Hopefully we will strike down that eagle and be done with this constant fear.

Ready... aim...

FIRE!!!

We missed! Reload immediately and fire at will!

That last one was damn close! Don't give up bored dwarves!
Any day now... Blimey maybe we should have brought along some skilled operators. The bird seams oblivious to the boulders arcing out of the mountainside and flying towards it.

In the meantime, our miners were called back up from the depths to fix the magma forge room up and ready it for Magma Furnaces. All this gold lying around can't go to waste.

Finally we strike something useful! Tetrahedrite is both a Copper bearing ore at heart, and a Silver bearing ore. We will be able to forge blunt Silver weapons, which the militants could use in sparring sessions without the fear of heavily wounding their adversaries, and use the copper to forge some makeshift armor. I hear armorsmiths forge Copper Helms as a method to hone their armor-smithing skills, and simply Melt them back into copper to rework it again afterwards. But this is not a task for me, as my rule will soon be over.

And then, after passing the cold winter, we finally stepped out of our fortress to feel the warm breeze of Spring.

Dear reader, know that I Cilob Babincatten, will now pass my rein over these stout dwarves to another leader.This year has been a great experience, and I feel the fortress will continue to prosper throughout the years to come.

Leader's notes

The switch close to the entrance collapses the entrance bridge, cutting off access to the outside from there. This is a line of defense and should prove useful in case of emergency. There is a Second switch down near the Trade Depot. This switch retracts the bridge connecting the fortress to the depot. NOTE: THE SWITCH IS CURRENTLY ON AND THE BRIDGE IS RETRACTED. You will need to switch it Off to get the bridge back up to reach the trade depot from inside the fortress. I leave that switch ON to keep any marauding parties from entering the fortress through there.

The catapult is still on "Fire At Will", the eagle is still allive and kicking, but seems completely oblivious to the fact that it is being fired on.

There is other information as well but I am needed on the farmlands.

Sincerely
Miss Cilob

Yeah the dwarf I was playing as was a WOMAN. Oh well, I think I did a good job nevertheless

The map
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3236-cloistercrush

The save
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=872d9d73e80c0dbe1686155677bb2685575c067c4878fd9d

Alright guys, I'm done my turn. Who's around and willing to take a turn?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:50:28 AM by Muffinmix »

I am around, I'm willing!

Also I was one of the first to say "i'm in" :D

I am around, I'm willing!

Also I was one of the first to say "i'm in" :D
Awesome, then go RKY, STRIKE THE EARTH!

And then run away. The earth packs a nasty punch.

eye-eye(starting now because tornados were coming through back when I said I was gonna start so I took shelter)

edit:

Uhm, muffin, I cant download the save...(it says its private)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:49:29 PM by rkynick »

Whoops, does this link work? http://www.mediafire.com/?8myymnxu5mx

Mediafire completely changed it's site so it's a bit weird now.

That 'un works. Expect an update from me in a little bit, in the meantime, can you explain what your plans were concerning farming?(i.e what seeds & farms do you have, what were you planning with them), because I plan to do a lot food-wise.

Edit;

Will do my log here as I go along.

1st Granite, Early Spring
I have taken rule of this fort--"CloisterCrush", as the residents call it.

I am at a loss as to what I might do first-- the fort appears to be in ample condition, a work force of 15, good plant stocks and--imagine my surprise-- enough drinks to last a fortress many times our size for years.

I have made a chart of our stocks below.

So, for now I am taking a moment to look over the fortress, and see if there are any matters that might require my attention. I also plan to look further into what my predecessor had planted.

It appears that my predecessor had chosen Plump helmets as the crop of choice-- a fine decision, seeing as they can both be brewed & eaten raw. It appears he has many other kinds of seed too, I will carve out planting areas for whenever we have the resources to plant more.

Whats this? We have sapphires laying around in someones room! I must construct a treasury at once. Whoever this dwarf is, my predecessor must've seen something in him. I'll keep my eye on him, but I must move these sapphires somewhere safer.

Among closer inspection, I have found that we have many other valuables laying around. The treasury will be very useful to us.

As I was observing the outer areas of the fortress, I became aware of an ominous presence above me-- and by the gods, a giant eagle! My predecessor had warned me of such things, but I figured they were crazy. I figure the catapults they set up will do us well against such a beast, in the meantime, I have my eye on it.

I have decided to lay out the first of a series of walls protecting our fortress, my only hope is that the eagle will not draw near.

My wall plans are finished, and I hope that our mason(s?) will get right at it.

Part of the plans I drew out

The wall forms a complete circle around our main entrance, with two exits.
The main exit is show above, it will have two guard towers next to the gate, and the second exit will house only one guard tower, but is mostly to save my dwarves time if they need to get around the walls quicker.

After the first layer is down, I will put up a second layer and finish the guard towers. Even though the eagle could fly right over, I do feel safer now that the wall has started being put up.

Recently one of my miners alerted me to what minerals he had discovered during his exploratory mining operation that was set up by my predecessor, some good stuff had been found-- we struck morion, microline, and orthoclase since I took over, but that isn't what he came to tell me, no. He had discovered a cluster of amethyst!

Compared to some of our other discoveries(gold, for one) it might not be much, but it is another reason for me to get that treasury up as soon as possible.

It appears he has struck bone opal as well!

Work has begun on the wall, and I am quite pleased

This is another part of my plans but this time showing what is currently finished

Our mason has begun constructing the back of the wall, I guess he will work his way down.

An elven caravan arrived. If they have any useful goods I will trade with them, but I will not stand for any of their nature talk.

Where the elves arrived

My carpenter stumbled upon a kobold thief! He gave chase and killed the kobold off without any injuries.

The eagle scares me, gloomily flying over us, waiting for its chance to swoop down and strike down one of our dwarven brethren, so I am going to construct an additional catapult to help our current one knock it out of the sky.

We now have an engraver!(one of the peasants has become one)

The elves were a waste of time, they had nothing useful to trade at all, after I had gone through the trouble of getting the broker down there in time, we got nothing out of it.

The wall is making good progress, and I am setting up cage traps at the gates.

By the gods! Our carpenter has constructed a masterpiece cage!

A log of events

The gates needed cages for their cage traps, so my carpenter went off to construct them, a little while later he informed me that he had made a masterpiece, and sure enough, it was a cage of the finest quality I think I've ever seen. Hopefully it will spring upon one of our enemies, and bring further glory to CloisterCrush.

A vile kobold thief had the guts to waltz right into our garrison at the front of the fort-- needless to say, he was quickly mutilated by our seasoned wrestlers. Praise the militants!

A foolish kobold bumps into two wrestlers

No comment

Our good queen Lolor has come to our fortress with a new wave of migrants, this is truly an honor for CloisterCrush to be blessed with her presence!

As such, our fortress is now a mountainhome and has been made the capital of dwarven lands.

We will immediately begin carving the royal rooms and creating the furniture our ruler will want to furnish them.

~more soon~

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:35:09 AM by rkynick »

That 'un works. Expect an update from me in a little bit, in the meantime, can you explain what your plans were concerning farming?(i.e what seeds & farms do you have, what were you planning with them), because I plan to do a lot food-wise.

My basic plan was to plant Sweet Pods in Spring, Cave Wheat in Summer, Pig Tails in Fall and Plump Helmets for the first half of Winter (second half is too cold to plant anything)

I brewed whatever I farmed up. This way the dwarves can get all 4 types of booze and it keeps them happy. Then, I had my cook make Lavish meals with some of the booze, giving the dwarves an edible food source (not to mention basically multiplying our foodstocks fivefold).

The kitchen gets cluttered very quickly though, and other stuff like meats are currently on the "To Cook" list. There isn't any meat left right now (I cooked it all, and the dwarves ate the turtles I had), but when you get some you might find your dwarves cooking it. Also, all plants are on the "No Cook" list, in order to keep all the seeds we currently have. Seeds are lost when cooking plants, but not when brewing them.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I'll post the food stocks I had before finishing my turn
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:24:50 PM by Muffinmix »

(see my other post)

What should I trade with the elves for?(whats a priority, do you think?)

Oh god the Elves, they'll be pissed no matter what you trade to them. Prepared Meals are out of the question seeing as all they eat nowadays is the corpses of their enemies ( their enemies being everyone that isn't a tree hugging hippy or an elf)

Also I usually ignore precious stones but the thought of having a secure vault for them sounds pretty awesome.

Also, who the heck is the siege operator?

Also, who the heck is the siege operator?
The main "mason" and the metalsmith both have Siege operating on. They were bored so I said why the heck not.

Check the other workers, some might have Masonry on and you might want to disable that, or make it so the masonry shop can only be used by the main Mason to get better products.

Yeah the place is a bit messy.

Ah, I see. Theyre both working on my wall.

Also, how do you guise like my logs so far?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:11:52 AM by rkynick »

You made a mistake, Rky.

You said "good queen"  :cookieMonster:

Nice job with the fort so far. I burst out laughing at the eagle catapult.