Author Topic: Garry's Mod - Megathread  (Read 40204 times)

Have we had one real topic? Usually we just have a gmod-halp topic or someone saying how they've set up a server. I'll change that.

What is it?
Garry's Mod is a sandbox mod for the Source Engine. Unlike normal games there aren't any predefined aims or goals. Players are given tools and are left to entertain themselves.
The player is in a world where objects can be created and destroyed on demand. Where people can be created and destroyed with the click of a mouse. A world made for him. A world he made.

So what do you do?
There are a lot of things you can do with Garry's Mod, but here's a few of the more common uses.

Construction
Garry's Mod provides tools to constrain objects together in various ways. Using these tools the player can create working contraptions.
The simplest example is a car. The player spawns an object to be used for the car's body then adds wheels by firing the tool gun at the object. Wheels are then controllable using the numpad on your keyboard.
You don't have to make moving contraptions though - want to build a fort out of wooden crates then set it on fire? Go for it! Want to build a house using fridges for the walls and mattresses for the ceiling then drive a jeep into it all? Go for it!

Posing and Comics
One of the universal appeals of Garry's Mod has been the ability to place and pose ragdolls. This allows you to create your own comic books and share them online. One major comic spawned from this is HLComic - the story of Gordon Frohman's journey in City 17.
Garry's Mod gives you the ability to place ragdolls, manipulate their facial expressions and aim their eyes.

Gamemodes
Garry's Mod gives the ability to program your own gamemodes (Don't worry - you don't need to be a programmer to play them). This allows the community to make new, often wacky, gamemodes such as melon racing, build to the top and so on.
It's often worth taking a look in the server list to see if any of the games prick your attention - there's often something weird there to try out.

User Created Content
Garry's Mod benefits greatly from a thriving community which is constantly churning out new ideas, maps, models, gamemodes, weapons, Lua scripts and skins.

I absolutely love this game. I've spent over 300 hours total while playing this game on xfire. Just in the past 7 days, I've racked up 27 hours of play-time.

There are many things you can do.

GM Stranded. Here Wedge and I built our little camp on my server. (Before everyone else joined, when it became hectic)

Zombie Survival. Failcade (Barricade). We, Survivors, held up in a room on Asylum map. We lasted until I think round 5.

Spacebuild. Aphtonites made a huge ship, I was in the hangar while he was piloting it around space.

And who could forget the classic...
Sandbox. My friend, Nekojin, and I were playing chess in this screenshot as you can see. Do whatever you want in sandbox!

To get Garry's Mod, you need $10, Steam, and a source game. (Main Source Games = CSS, HL2, TF2)

Major Mods
PHX (SVN Version has much more things, see below)
Wire (SVN Version is the only way to get it, see below)
SmartSnap (Helps building very much)
Smart Constraint (So you can weld/nocollide multiple things easily)
Stacker (To copy things easily)

SVN is an easy way to download your favorite mods and get updates!
All you need to do is download this.
Then, extract it, and start up "Gmod Auto Updater.exe".
On the lower box, browse for your addons directory.
Then checkmark the things you want and press Update.
If you want to add any more mods, first find the svn and then add it into the mods.ini
Make sure to update the "Total Mods" at the top of it, and to have the correct numbering of the mods inside it.

Let's have a Steam Username list.
Reply with your steam username and I will try to add it to the list quickly!

ForumSteam
Jsk2003Jsk2003
WedgeWedgeWedge-HL2
KerogThe Kerog Guy
Fizzlesteter8q3
MarcemMarcem7121
Gen. Nick0General_Nick0
HunterImTheHunter
ColtenColten1995
Dr. BlockCooper
General OmegaGeneralOmega1
NickTheSushimikepeace
SirrusVertazontal
Kakashi11kakashio8
JimmGCrazar
XaMMaX211atomic2000
DigmasterDigmaster
MasterlegodudeDuckDodgers22
ToadzardToadzard
BladeOfTheHorizonPwnlight
AntallionNomadius
Frobyhenwii
xXMenenXxxXMenenXx
Hephisaysensei
DreadDread
Panterra8905Mike_BL
RoninThat_Man_on_TV
Shadow86tehubercharge
ChaseyqurtChaseyqurt
PenPenthoplayer
ShinjiShinji127
John0515BrofOrange
ValenVaLeN
FeepFeep25th
Sord213Sord213
Flying AceFlyingAce1015
JaxxJaxx050
MogarfMr_Smile007
TokthreeTokthree
The God Blockvoodooson
Tapemaster21Tapemaster21
supertoxictoxicrox
SluggerSlugger
OrgodemirkOrgodemirk
Mr. SnipeTempoMeasure
Boomshanappleofdoom
koolkody12koolkody12
ValenHsivins
StickguyModman
GenaralSkarGenaralSkar
rawrmandarkzero225
Inv3rted/Rexwecksyrex
SpiderobotSpiderobot

Useful Links
Garrysmod Official Website
Garry's Mod Wiki
Garrysmod Downloads
Facepunch Studios Forums
Garry's Blog (he talks about what he's doing with Garry's Mod every once in a while)

If you need any help just ask in this topic.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:31:42 PM by Jsk2003 »

Don't forget about the Garry's Bots gamemode :3 It's not very well known though :c
It's a remake of one of those Robot Wars or BattleBots shows.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:56:14 PM by Fizzles »

Don't forget about the Garry's Bots gamemode :3 It's not very well known though :c
It's a remake of one of those Robot Wars or BattleBots.

I've played that. Meh.

I just picked 4 things that are pretty well known.
There are many gamemodes.

Copying these links into the address bar will add both of my steam accounts to your friend list:
steam://friends/add/76561197980522469
steam://friends/add/76561197984326041

Even if you're not logged into steam, it should start it up for you and add me.

Steam name is The Kerog Guy

teter8q3, he's a lovey beast.

Marcem7121.  We should all do stranded.  Fretta will be awesome.

0General_Nick0

General_Nick was taken >:(
Also won't be on till like the end of the week probably.

ImTheHunter.

Might want to put PHX 3 on there instead of PHX 2. PHX 3 is also on SVN.

Added everyone

We should all do stranded.  Fretta will be awesome.
Yeah, once you get to making guns and such, it kind of gets boring. Maybe I'll go find a new map to play it on.

Might want to put PHX 3 on there instead of PHX 2. PHX 3 is also on SVN.
The only way to get PHX 3 is by using svn. PHX3 is just PHX2 with a lot more things.