TBM forums

Author Topic: TBM forums  (Read 39948 times)

I was replying to all four of you. I am still waiting for Snackbar.
I just read your post and saw

LOOK AT HOW MUCH I CAN stuff IN THE POST BOX
As Otis interpreted also. High Five!

i'm pretty sure 90% of us don't even care about your opinion and are gonna hate you anyway, just for what you've done before with TBM.
I actually hate him more just for writing these essays.

I do enjoy that picture too.

I do enjoy that picture too.
I saved it for such an occasion, too.

Although I'm pretty sure you're going to call foulplay on this for my not being either Badspot or Snackbar, it doesn't take a genius to take your posts apart.

Then, I ask, how come thebettermod.org has all its members playing fine without any problems?

It was a selective bit of code, more precisely the developers could choose to do quite a few nasty things to people they disliked through the use of that malware.

Even people who come from retail and act maturely are welcome, so I am curious as to why we are so utterly, utterly evil. You must remember that no existing TBM dev remains on The Orange Block, nor are the rest of us convicts, nor babysitting players kids, as its the players themselves who are playing, which makes me want to question your views on the solidarity of your reality.

You demonstrate quite easily yourselves why we should not like you guys. Maybe you should check your own grasp on reality before trying to question others' and pleading injustice

Oho! You claim that, out of a forum of 27 pages containing 527 discussions, that each and every thread is centered around attacking you? Why, I only need post one thread to discount this, so I shall not bother.

No, but the site is still dedicated to pretty much everything he stated.

Now, onto Snackbar.
Your essay is based on the argument that my collection of points is an essay. If you had completed a comprehensive English course, you would know that an essay requires:

His essay is based on the argument that your long-winded propaganda post is loving handicapped.

While my first quote is, as you say, an Ad Hominem Attack/Argument. However, I was not driving with an informal essay this time, so you brown townyzed my collection of points poorly. My claim was based of the reactions I have observed when dealing with this community in the last four years. While this is a mighty grand statement, making me out to be some time-exclusive madman, my statment is proven in the substance of this thread. Observe the amount of hatred that has been spewed between these pages and I am sure that, while "it is a poor way to start", it is also truth. Even Badspot, when faced with the old argument, reacted with volatility and poor sportsmanship.

- He did a pretty good job actually, given what he had to work with.
- We hate you almost as much as back when you did all that stupid stuff to piss everyone off. Time waded that away just a bit but the fact that none of you even tried to repent because "no matter how hard you'd try you would never be able to gain forgiveness" hasn't helped either. Chip in the substance of your own forums and you'll quickly see why people are ridiculing you.

Truly, truly. My point is that Blockland version 8 is no longer downloadable easily. Should someone want to use the key.dat to play, they will have to find an individual who has version 8, and is willing to share, or an independent source on the internet. AT NO POINT did I claim that it was not stealing. If thebettermod.org, and its entire community are out to steal Blockland, as your points suggest, then why have we not gone out and acquired version 8? Gone and tested our theories? It is similar to, but not quite like a policeman arresting a man for owning a lockpick. The fact that we have the key.dat, doesn't mean any of the people we making moves to test it now, does it? If you can find one instance of this being otherwise so in recent times pertaining to this argument, do so verily.

Because, quite simply, you're all too loving stupid to even figure it out.

While New York's definition of theft is quite riveting, and possibly applicable to this argument, as well as a fine thing to quote, one must consider the fact that we have not, in fact, stolen anything. I shall go with the Merriam-Webster Dictionary's definition, which follows:
"the act of stealing  ; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it b: an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property". Thebettermod.org has NOT stolen anything according to the dictionary accurate definition of "Theft", as Badspot has neither been deprived of his game by its unlawful taking, nor have we gained anything, except a file, which doesn't work in the latest version of Blockland anyway. If you should wish to further continue this widely swerving train of thought, please do so, but perhaps use something a little more accurate than "theft" in describing this situation.

The fact of the matter is the intention to steal can also be prosecuted. It is doubtful that police would release criminals that failed to rob a bank. They were unable to steal anything, but they were still arrested due to the intention itself. Your case falls within these lines.

Oh indeed. First up, Wikipedia states documentation as "the creation of any communicable material (such as text, video, audio, etc., or combinations thereof) used to explain some attributes of an object, system or procedure." As Wikipedia is a unverifiable source, and we are mature adults here, I shall quote Microsoft Encarta in saying: "process of providing written information: the process of providing written details or information about something". Which I did, as found here:
http://thebettermod.org/forum.html?func=view&id=2705&catid=10
Do take a look and indulge my better senses.
I do indeed 'document' how to unlock offline mode with the inbuilt developers key, and I go on to give my view of how the games sit against each other.

The credibility of your documents is what he is getting at, no doubt he knows what a document is and it's purposes. He also criticizes you in how you use the documents to gain credibility, whilst the documents themselves contain disinformation.

It would be a wise idea to learn how to interpret what someone writes to get a better picture of what he's inching towards so you can in turn formulate your own criticism on his thoughts. It's an elementary skill of the trade mind you, professor.

You state it is pedantic, however go on to say it fails at that, which is a contradiction in terms. One may say (in this critical style) "that a man is an idiot, and fails at being truly that.", which is your argument with a different adjective. This sentence outlines the fallacy presented, as one cannot be an idiot, yet fail to be truly so, and this style of speaking makes for poor reading.
Finally, I think it is a bit odd, how you liken ME to Riddler, when it is you who has the picture of a dictator as your avatar.

- Again, you fail to understand what he is stating. Really now, professor, he is stating that your text wouldn't even pass as pedantic, that it would be of even lower stature.
- He used Riddler to provide an example, not to create a false brown townogy.

I got off loving school for a week to do fun stuff, not read some more damn essays.

-snip-

I think Muffinmix is the most logical member of the forums.

What everyone seems to fail to mention is that this "malicious" code was only run if you stole the script files from TBM and put them in another mod. This was likely caused by the TBM developers getting sick of stolen code, etc. Also, I have seen first-hand the script files for TBM 2, and now it just simply returns from the script file if it is run from another mod. Nothing "malicious" has been in TBM for at least 3 years, judging from the release date of TBM 2.

And about who chooses to play one game over another... it's a matter of personal preference. The games each have their unique styles and features, and TBM just happens to be free. Retail may look prettier, even play well, but it's not like everybody thinks that TBM is not fun (I personally think it is) and wishes they could play Retail for free (I couldn't care less... I have better things to do with my time these days). I don't feel like spending money on a fairly useless hobby like this which I don't have much time for.

bucket loads of bullstuff nobody reads
encarta.com
merriam-webster.com

Wow! Merriam Webster! Encarta! You know how to use a dictionary!

Time to bring out the artillery. Reference books for big boys. I put off backing up the DMCA claim I made in the beginning because I really didn't feel like digging through the US code or writing this post.

I will begin by posting it here. You can print it out and read it overnight or something. Maybe you'll find out what you're doing wrong while you do it!

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00001201----000-.html

Now I'd like to highlight a few sections.

"No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title."

"No person shall circumvent" should be pretty easy to understand. Nobody, that includes you, will use shady methods to dodge around an access control. A technological measure could be any thing- a software key, online authentication, watermarks... The list goes on. You can probably find the exact definition of a technological measure somewhere. "Effectively controls access" basically means that the technology is being used to make sure only people who purchase the software may use it. "A work protected under this title" refers to everything under title 17. Title 17 is called copyrights. That means all copyrighted works. I'm sure you know Blockland is copyrighted.

So basically, you can read this as "Nobody will use shady methods to dodge any kind of limit added to a piece of media to keep people who didn't shell out any cash for it from using it fully."

If you still have doubts, read Section 1201 a bit more until you get to the definition of what it means to effectively control access to work.
"A technological measure “effectively controls access to a work” if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation, requires the application of information, or a process or a treatment, with the authority of the copyright owner, to gain access to the work."

The program has to authenticate with the server to run online. If you are keeping the program from authenticating with the server and fooling the in-game key check with either a false key or one posted online, you are in violation of this.

Ok, great. With all that out of the way, we know without a doubt that you don't have a single leg to stand on. But wait you say. That was long ago! In the past! We aren't doing it anymore, an agreement was worked out, we're fine!

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00001204----000-.html

STATUTE OF loving LIMITATIONS

"No criminal proceeding shall be brought under this section unless such proceeding is commenced within 5 years after the cause of action arose. "

Basically we have 4 years and 2 months left to take you to court. But we don't even have to take you to court, because that would cost money, right? A C&D order would probably suffice.

I can already here the panicked key presses as you try and delete everything.

What everyone seems to fail to mention is that this "malicious" code was only run if you stole the script files from TBM and put them in another mod. This was likely caused by the TBM developers getting sick of stolen code, etc. Also, I have seen first-hand the script files for TBM 2, and now it just simply returns from the script file if it is run from another mod.
I don't know if you were around then (it sure doesn't sound like it), but there was more than one objection with TBM than "malicious code that would only run if you stole script files from tbm and put them in another mod". Let me give you a short summary.

1. There was an exploit that would let you run code on a client. If you knew how to do it you could crash them, make them get stuck jetting, send chat messages as them, etc.
2. The staff hid secret commands in the game and only gave them to their friends. It's a pretty douchebaggy thing to do.
3. All of their code was compiled as .dsos so nobody could open them up and see what was actually going on inside. There could have been anything in there and no one would be able to see it. Badspot offered to let them return to the community if they released source. They declined.

Nothing "malicious" has been in TBM for at least 3 years, judging from the release date of TBM 2.
What, and you expected him to let them back after all that time? They did such a fantastic job at showing their interested they were in that, what with making a clone of his game to spite him because they had some romanticized ideas about fighting the good fight and being backstabbed.

And about who chooses to play one game over another... it's a matter of personal preference. The games each have their unique styles and features, and TBM just happens to be free.

We're not asking you to not play TBM. Nobody cares about TBM anymore. The mod war is over.

All we're asking is for you not to steal our game. If it's a useless hobby that you don't have time for AND don't want to pay for, then don't do it! Play TBM instead, yeah? Because playing a game where you build with bricks is a lot better than playing that other game where you build with bricks.

EDIT: Now that I finished this post, I should probably go back and actually read elrune's, yeah? I skimmed it a bit and saw some nonsense about the nysc. I'll take a peak at it now.

EDIT: Oh, it wasn't anything. Just him using his traditional show-off vocabulary with no real supporting evidence to contribute to the conversation.

PS: You're right, it's not stealing! It's copyright infringement! Surprise! Doesn't make a whole lot of difference when you're rotting in jail for 4 years while your parents use the money they were saving for college tuition to pay off the fine, you bloody thief. Also, if someone is spreading around Blockland v8 (I don't know about you guys, but I still have the installer, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possiblity), I've got another source available upon request that will politely inform you that that isn't legal.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 12:21:18 AM by Wedge »

your all bitching at tbm for creating/starting this key.dat crap...I am the one that FOUND it on google. someone ELSE discovered and exploited it before tbm even knew about it...

want someone to bitch at? use google and find the original person who figured out the demo key unlocking for free exploit.

Really awesome loving essay that actually has a point.
Holy loving stuffbricks.

whaaaa
Relax, I'm yelling at elrune for being a big dummy.

your all bitching at tbm for creating/starting this key.dat crap...I am the one that FOUND it on google. someone ELSE discovered and exploited it before tbm even knew about it...

want someone to bitch at? use google and find the original person who figured out the demo key unlocking for free exploit.
Liability rests on the shoulders of the guilty, you sir still have time to cry.