Poll

How helpful and instructive do you find my tutorial?

Extremely!
145 (78%)
Fairly
29 (15.6%)
Not Very
6 (3.2%)
Not At All
6 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Author Topic: Ostinyo's Mapping Tutorial  (Read 87724 times)

Development of the Torque Constructor section of this tutorial has begun.

Yay :)

You don't have to use the "Classic" theme to fix the mouse offset. "Basic" is fine and much better looking lol.
Also your rule of don't use Subtract is rather odd, I've never ever came across a problem with it and it's a quite handy tool, but I guess it's how someone uses it really.

You don't have to use the "Classic" theme to fix the mouse offset. "Basic" is fine and much better looking lol.
Also your rule of don't use Subtract is rather odd, I've never ever came across a problem with it and it's a quite handy tool, but I guess it's how someone uses it really.

Basic? Idk... I've tried using other stuff (when I was on Vista) but nothing else worked.

I got the CSG Subtract rule from many other people... apparently it can create microbrushes. I too, have used it for successful interiors, but I think it can still mess things up. Dunno, maybe I'll get rid of that.

Development of the Torque Constructor section of this tutorial has begun.

Step 1: Find another program or get on anti-depressants.

Check.

Also, it would be helpful if someone could explain to me:
1. How to successfully make a lovey skybox
2. How to make an object that moves

This would be of extreme help to me and improve my maps greatly, and allow me to write Bout these subjects in my tutorial. (1 is especially important)

Azerath's made an ok tutorial about DTS movement: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=34554.0

That's a perfect tutorial :)

Another thing I would like to know is how to make trees (Blender?) but especially the leaves. [GSF] Ghost would not shed any light on the subject for me...

Good job on the constructor section.  Though you have yet to explain the vertex, face, and brush tools at the bottom of the screen.  The face tool is very important when messing with textures as you can select multiple faces on different objects and unify them so it looks like one object.  I'd give a pic but im on my iPod and it's like, 2:14 here. :o. Goodnight.

A quote from Jimmg on the subtract tool:

You should never ever, under any circumstances use the subtract/carve tool. Use the cliptool.
This is the differences between them.

It's from a "How to make your first interior" thread on the RTB forums
http://forum.returntoblockland.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2092

There's reason for neatness I'd say, but I've personally not really seen much mess using subtract. But I'll start using Cliptool and see how it goes.

Okay, unifying faces.
Before:

After:

To do this just select all of the faces.
(Click the face of one object, then hold shift and click the other faces you need.)

Then just click Unify and Center

So yeah.  Thats it.

Good luck! 

Cool, I'll add that to the tutorial... I don't have much time right now.

Edit: Added it... I'll explain faces and everything in more depth later... although I'm not going to go far into it. I don't know. I should definitely go over how to use the tools.

Although someone else might want to write up the knife tool, as I've never really understood it :\
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:03:56 PM by Wesley Williams »

I just remembered something, before you finalize a map, take out the .mis file and remove all of the unneeded crap.  If you use irc while editing it makes this nasty little... Thing in the .mis file that does nothing.  When making crouch space I went through and found one of those things for every message I had sent on irc.  I think it numbered around... 20?  So Twenty references, 5 lines per reference.  So that would have left 100 extra lines in my .mis file. :o.  Just something to watch out for.

Yeah, you should always watch out for a crapper in the mission file... Ive seen this too, but with bricks. If you save a map with bricks on it, it gets saved into the .mis file (even ghost bricks). This was such a problem one map wouldn't work, and when I went in to clean it up it consisted of my 1000 bricks (of course) and each one was made up of 5-7 lines. So ya, I dragged and held for a long time to get rid of all those crap objects.

I think this was how my first Paradise Island (the remake of which is Shipwreck Island) got it's terrain removed - I was clearing the trees in such a manner and overlooked the fact that I had highlighted the terrain object as well... oh well, it's remade now ;)

I really need these right now. I normally save every 5 minutes with a backup.

Then constructor crashed for no reason...
Lucky I had saved just moments ago and I come back to this, EVEN my back up save loaded a heaps old one.

So my input for this tutorial is: Never trust construct even when you've not had a problem, because one day it will kick you where it hurts. And backups won't save you :/

So my input for this tutorial is: Never trust construct even when you've not had a problem, because one day it will kick you where it hurts. And backups won't save you :/

True dat.  That looked like a pretty sweet interior though.  Whats it for?

True dat.  That looked like a pretty sweet interior though.  Whats it for?
Thanks, a toy themed TDM with a realistic level design.
-

Also Sir Williams, you should add something like "click File then "import reference shape" locate your Blockland folder and go into base\data\shapes\player then click "M.dts". This adds a blockhead figure to get a size perspective of your interior" or something a rather.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:17:58 PM by Wookiee »