Kerbal Space Program, Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love THRUSTERRRSSSS

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program, Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love THRUSTERRRSSSS  (Read 271615 times)

let's show off our magic flags

let's show off our magic flags
I would but I don't want to be banned.

Next time you launch a big rocket into space, make sure the command module is not upside-down. Because that screws with the game.

Next time you launch a big rocket into space, make sure the command module is not upside-down. Because that screws with the game.
Uh.
how do you even
uh

I mad a rocket just to screw around that goes straight up and falls. As it was flying up, I accelerated the game 4x. I EVA'd one of them and watched it fall. As it started reentering, he fell off, and from my perspective fell extremely fast. About 5 seconds before he hit the ground, his body suddenly bugged out like if you went frame-by-frame through a Halo 3 recording after you got ragdolled by an explosion. It's been so long since I've seen that effect in any game, it made me laugh. It looked really weird how his body contorted into such shapes.

Uh.
how do you even
uh

There's buttons you can use in the editor to turn parts.

My biggest issue right now is having enough fuel to get me to Mun. I've gotten close, but I always seem to fall short. Tips?
This is a neat ship design I found

Base your design off of it. Below the lander have a small tank with a low level rocket to help it slow down to land on the moon. Before that have a longer stage to get into kerbin orbit and into munar orbit. Before that have a tri-tank like this one. A tip is have 3 same size very large rockets with same amount of fuel activate at the same time, HOWEVER have fuel be draining from the outside ones to the middle one with a fuel pipe, so the outer ones will run out of fuel faster. Then you drop the outer ones and use the middle one to help get you into orbit.

Another thing, you might know this, but once you're in a suborbital trajectory, burn prograde (the direction you're going) to increase it into an orbit.

Also, once you're in orbit, burn prograde as soon as you can see the moon coming over the horizon. Make sure you watch your map as to not waste fuel and once you get to the moon orbit, burn retrograde (away from the direction you're going) to slow you down. Try to cancel out your HORIZONTAL movement first so you can have a nice straight up/down landing.

oh my god that is an awful design. Those engines are gonna overheat before the 1000m mark.

oh my god that is an awful design. Those engines are gonna overheat before the 1000m mark.

No, they won't.

No, they won't.
Yes they will. Orange tanks tend to make engines overheat MUCH faster. That's why you need to have a tuna can to seperate them. Unless they fixed it, of course

Hullo, Scott Manley here!

Hint: getting to Minmus is easier than the Mün

I was playing the KSP Demo on Steam, and I made it to just the brink of space, and suddenly when I turned down my rocket to half-throttle to save speed, it started falling back to earth, and due to a miscalculation of height, the Kerbal was unable to detatch and deploy a parachute in time and died.

Also, are the re-entry effects I have seen on videos mods, or is it just me or does the demo not have them? I've re-entered Earth a couple times and there were no re-entry effects like flames or anything.

Back in the early early stages of the game (like, when the symmetry mode was first added) I installed a part pack, broke the game, and send my ship soaring at rapidly increasing speeds away from Kerbin out into the endless vacuum of space. I eventually gave up after a couple time-warped years and ended the mission.

So I guess that was pretty fun.

I was playing the KSP Demo on Steam, and I made it to just the brink of space, and suddenly when I turned down my rocket to half-throttle to save speed, it started falling back to earth, and due to a miscalculation of height, the Kerbal was unable to detatch and deploy a parachute in time and died.

Also, are the re-entry effects I have seen on videos mods, or is it just me or does the demo not have them? I've re-entered Earth a couple times and there were no re-entry effects like flames or anything.
The demo is a really old version of the game, so no reentry effects, other planets, rover wheels, etc.