Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 402199 times)

Going out on an arm and leg here.. but does anyone know how to fix "DRAM refresh error" on my old "vintage" 486 machine? It will boot up, emit one short beep, and continue the POST as normal and works normally. 1 short beep means "DRAM refresh error". When it boots it should emit one long beep. Also, when I press the Turbo button the motherboard will emit 3 short beeps and all video signal will be lost requiring a hard reset.

Specs:

Am486DX4 Enhanced 120mhz
32MB RAM
1GB hard drive
Trident 9680 2MB

1997.... That computer is loving small.
What do you use it for?

1997.... That computer is loving small.
What do you use it for?

Playing old MS-DOS games.

Playing old MS-DOS games.
Makes sense.

Your old computer makes mine look like a super computer lol.

Does it run Windows 95/98?

It will run Windows 98 but it will be a bit slow. Windows 2000, the last OS compatible with 486, is extremely slow. My 486 machine runs DOS 6.22 and WFW 3.1.

*panting*
okay i'm back

2tb hdd, 8gb ram (2x4gb)
560 2gb
i7 2700k 3.4ghz
azza fusion 3000 liquid cooled full tower
700w power
1920x1080 monitor

fully loaded and ready to go. tested on bf3, 100% performance

I have a minor issue I was hoping someone knew how to fix.

I'm using a small notebook laptop, and the keyboard is acting as if I am holding down the function key (the Fn key used for the second function of certain keys). When I hold down the key, it acts as if the function key is not being pressed. There is no interface I can find for the keyboard's driver, and it happened quite suddenly (therfore I assume something switched it on).

Any help is appreciated.
There may be a function lock, check the manual or do a thorough scan of the keyboard.

Can someone help on this? http://imgur.com/dCBpC,cVA2R,pRqYr,PwC5D,HXAco

I am getting tired of not seeing all the graphics in games.

Could you provide more information on what your graphics card is? CPU? We need something to work off of.

I discovered a computer on the side of the road while working, and I put it in my car, anyways I can't find out stuff about it because the hard-drive is fried.
The computer is a Dell and looks like it is a 2004 model. I took some pictures to see if anything can help. I want to salvage it and sell some parts to my local computer store, I need the money to fix/upgrade my other computer.

I'm going to pick it apart some more, find out anything I can.

It says AMD High Definition Audio Device in Device Manager, but I can't find any drivers on the AMD Website. What do?

they're bundled with your graphics drivers